“BEST CHOCOLATE WE EVER HAD, LOVELY PEOPLE”

Mayan Monkey Mijas Chocolate Factory
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Mayan Monkey Mijas - a Chocolate Factory on the outside, and a Happiness Laboratory at heart! Open seven days a week, from 10am right through without siesta (closing times varies depending on the season) You can pop in and watch us make chocolate, ice cream and delicious baked goods, or BETTER YET: make your own chocolate! If it's quiet enough (tip: usually Jan & Feb!), We will give you a FREE tour and chocolate-making demo :)))) And we will invite you to try our chocolate and ice creams Mayan Monkey Mijas is the ONLY chocolate factory in Spain offering amateur-level chocolate-making workshops. All ages, interests and budgets catered for. EVERY DAY from 10am - 6pm: Express Workshop: No Booking Required - just turn up :))) Exclusive workshops - for birthday parties, school trips, club days, hen parties, etc. Tailormade workshops are also available.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Strolling through lovely, romantic Mjias at sunset, with the luscious taste of deep, black chocolate suffused with chili, ginger and some unidentifiable but magical flavors languorously lingering on my tongue, was one of my most sensual, memorable moments in Spain. (So okay, I don't get out much.) Jason and Ellie are absolutely adorable, and you'll fall in love with both of them. We were eating next door, and I took a photo of the "Mayan Monkey" outside seating area ... a beautiful raven-haired woman dressed head to toe in beautiful colors and giving water to a customer's huge Irish setter, a group of excited French women high on chocolate, wine and life, and a young girl laughing. Needless to say, we decided to visit the shop. Jason seems to be one of the most genuinely happy people I've ever met - gregarious, open, British, hilarious - and knows more about chocolate than anyone ever. Ellie is Irish, eloquent, beautiful and charming. Do yourself a favor and visit!!!! It's fun, informative, and you'll leave with laughter & crazy, lively chocolate flavors buzzing round your brain!!:) What's not to love??

We will absolutely go back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I read about this shop, a chocoholic's delight, on Trip Advisor. We happened upon it while searching for a restaurante for lunch. My friends found it separately and enjoyed a little tour and an education in single-source chocolate. Very interesting! The owners were super kind and friendly.

They have delicious ice cream and more adult drinks, but I stuck with an assortment of fairly-priced chocolates to take home. The salted-caramel chocolates were divine, and I selected some mini animal shaped chocolates for my kiddos. I would definitely recommend!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Went to Mijas and came across this place had two ice creams in cone with chocolate sticks the ice cream is the best I have ever tasted and the ice cream , chocolate is lovely and if you are in MIJAS - YOU MUST VISIT OR IN MALAGA OR FEUNGIROLA - YOU MUST GO HERE - YOU WILL BE IN CHOCOLATE HEAVEN

Reviewed April 18, 2014

The aroma of chocolate enticed me into the shop, plus the need to buy my visiting son a last-minute Easter egg. And so it began! We bought several items, spurred on by Jason's sales pitch, and his generous offers to sample. Loved the espresso chocolate. Bought chilli chocs, salted almonds and more. Sat with coffees and beer next door, sneakily trying the white chocolate skulls, filled with dulce de leche I think. So yummy. If I wasn't dieting I'd go back to the chocolate workshop!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This small but delightful venue is situated in the heart of Mijas Village. The chocolate factory is on the upper level with the shop and café accessed from the lower level of shops around Plaza de Constitucion. Jason and Ellie have things down to a fine art. We were warmly welcomed by Jason and then taken to be introduced to Ellie in the factory who led us through the workshop with knowledge, patience and an enthusiasm that was impossible not to be affected by. I was in a group of 9 and the room was full but not cramped. We were introduced to (got to taste!) chocolate from various countries around the world and were then set loose on the display of ingredients before us to make our own bars of chocolate. After a cup of coffee in the café below followed by some lunch, we were then given our chocolate bars all wrapped up nicely to take home. What a great time we all had. Definitely something to repeat.