“Book in haste repent at leisure”

ILUNION Hacienda del Sol
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Mijas
London, England
“Book in haste repent at leisure”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Sometimes it is fun to make a last minute booking but beware the consequences! I found myself with a few days to spare and needing a break from a heavy book I am writing to deadline. I looked around for a break in the sun, picked Spain and settled on a hotel advertised as one and a quarter miles from the village of Mijas, quiet during the day(for poolside sunbathing) and close to the excitement of Fuengirola. It might have been a mile or so if I were able to fly but, up the steep hillside, it was a lot longer, in fact an 8-10Euro taxi fare. Strike One. The hotel was packed with Spanish families. Quiet! Not on your life! Strike Two. Excitement of Fuengirola , pardon me. I spent one morning and couldn't wait to return to my hotel. It was, in a word, grotty and, indeed, made me appreciate what I had.
It needed a sit down chat with the manageress to sort out some of the problems, like the room not being cleaned properly, chipped paint and graffiti on the bathroom wall, the long wait at the bar while all inclusive customers filled shipping orders for extended families, and other minor odds and ends. The room, once clean, was fine if a little spartan and offered me critical WiFi at no cost, good job because my telephone did not work for the entire week.
For an hotel so isolated I was staggered that they did not sell essentials like sun cream(because, I was told, we are not by the sea!) but to counter that a very kind man named Paco brought me back an English newspaper every day when he took his son to tennis lessons.
On the credit side the pool was kept really clean, the service at the desk and the bar was polite and friendly and the breakfast(buffet style) was extensive. I did not eat other meals there until my departure day when I had a buffet lunch and again the choice was vast and the food good. But when they ran out of items at the bar they were not immediately replaced, indeed some not at all.
I did not return to Fuengirola but visited the delightful Mijas every night for dinner and discovered that, if asked, the hotel would provide free tickets for the bus up the hill but be prepared to wait for a service which was anything but shuttle, again as advertised.Never once did the bus run within 10 minutes of the advertised schedule.
Found a couple of really good - if quite expensive- restaurants but the third top restaurant had closed for refurbishments - in the middle of the season. Very strange.
But the net result was that I came back rested and extremely tanned.

Room Tip: Don't worry about a view of the sea because of the noise from below. Back is best.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank thewriter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Came here with family in July 2011, loved every minute, staff were very friendly, the food was very nice, atmosphere was brilliant, would definatley come again, and would recommend this hotel, 15 minutes from Malaga Airport.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sam186346
Banbury
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The hotel is excellent, although the first impression of the room was basic, everything else was lovely, and really you don't spend your holiday in the hotel room.

Meals were excellent, and the service good, would definitely recommend it and definitely would return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susie1849
Surrey
Reviewed July 5, 2011

It's far from grand (room decor/furniture a bit tired; bar/reception area a bit utilitarian) but it's clean and comfortable and the staff most helpful and friendly, and the pool and surrounds are lovely.
Ample choice for breakfast (including baked beans!) - not gourmet but tasty. Don't know about dinner, we chose to drive 3 mins up into Mijas itself, where there's a good choice
of good value restaurants. (There in Fuengirola too, a few minutes drive down to the coast, but this former fishing village is now one vast, sprawling connurbation.)

Room Tip: Any overlooking the pool
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank seamus2
Nottingham
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I chose this hotel for a birthday treat with my boyfriend after I stayed in the same week last year with a girlfriend. Again, I was really impressed.

The room is spacious, really clean and with everything you need. The only downside we found to the room was that the large double is actually two singles joined together. View is great, even away from the coast. Breakfast is simple but plentiful and lunches again simple but good value. In the evenings there was entertainment (singers singing spanish easy-listening) on the terrace, which I think is a weekend thing. One of the best things about this hotel (and the local area in general) is the amazingly simple and efficient public transport. Bus then train all the way to the airport for less than 4 euro, compred toa 50 euro taxi. Brilliant. The pool cannot be beaten, amazing view, never crowded and spotless. Towels provided.

I can sum this hotel up as just enough of something going on and just enough of nothing going on! The whole hotel (staff, clientele....) has a laidback and easy-going feel. I imagine we will keep going back.

4 Thank nellnotts
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I could not fault this hotel the only slight problem was the late night noise from the sun terrace if you had your window open as it was very hot it hit 33F one day and the first night I was very tired from the flight and travelling and hadnt put the air conditioning on to cool the room down.Excellent rep with Travelsphere only added to the brilliant time I had at this hotel.

3 Thank Jeanette H
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Me and my boyfriend have just been we are a young couple but we wanted a quite holiday. And it was a quite holiday, Mijas is so much quiter than the hussel and bussel of Fuengirola where the hotels were awful and so horribly torristy. The hotel is up in the hills but is close enough to get a bus to mijas village or Fuengirola for 1.25euro each way per person.

Reception area is lovely, though the staff there were sometimes rude, however the waiting staff were always so polite and helpful. As we went all inclusive we had to wear stupid bands but it was worth it fo the drinks. The room was clean and had plenty of space for all clothers etc. Rooms were cleaned very day though I am unsure to whether they changed the top sheets everyday. Are room overlooked the hills and you could see the sea.

Food- breakfast was great! everything you could want with that. We missed the menu for lunch as it wasnt till 2.30 and we went out most days, so we either had something from the bar menu for ae out. Bar food was good but be cautious about the chips sometimes they were cooked and others very anemic. Dinner wasnt really my cup of tea as Im a fussy eater but I would say there was quite a lot of choice.

Pool area was good, the pool was cold but it was nice to cool down when it got hot. Dont take the gym and sauna for what it is the gym consisted of 4 pieces of equipment and the sauna was locked behind a door that looked rather ancient, this part of the hotel was poor and could really do with some improvements.

Overall it was good and I would go back there again the location was great!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view,3rd floor as have small balcony
2 Thank Hannah995
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
TRH Mijas
Eurostars Mijas Golf & Spa
El Oceano Beach Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron
Muthu Grangefield Oasis Club

Been to ILUNION Hacienda del Sol? Share your experiences!