“Best tapas on the costa del sol”
Review of Bodega el Placer - CLOSED

Bodega el Placer
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently went on holiday to mijas! I ve been goin there for 7 years as my parents bought a place! So I ve been to most of the restaurants in mijas. I ve also on the there famous tapaporte several times. And this little place was outstanding!!!! We went there twice during our holiday and in total tried 18 different dishes and they were all excellent! We both highly recommend this little jewel in mijas' try it

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Very tasty tapas - gastronomic food? Some work to be done on that front. Curry flavoured wings and chips, basic lamb kebabs and salted prawns - not exactly gastronomic, but much better than the typical Mijas overcooked fishy restaurant. Nice location, bum numbing seats and cramped tables. Service is dreadful - no eye contact and you will be waiting for your bill for a half hour. Food over-priced for what it is - they should double the portions for the price.

1  Thank CondemnedDublin
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We came across this restaurant looking for a place to have one or two tapas for lunch in Mijas and we were keen to avoid the run of the mill and ubiquitous chorizo and albondigas.

A drink and a tapa of the day cost about €2 each. We followed that with anchovy and pork montaditos and a tapa of deer. Small portions, interesting tastes and loads of olive oil was the order of the day. Bread was produced in addition.

It was all a bit strange. We ordered pimientos which never arrived. We weren't charged for them or the bread (unlike some reviewers) but the deer tapa cost €4 not the €3.50 in the menu. Ho hum.... The price was €13.25 in total which seemed fair enough.

The inside seating was made up of stools and low tables. Fine for tapas but hard work for a main meal.

So good food with interesting service and strange pricing.

1  Thank davidhchess
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The bodega was in the process of opening when we arrived - and due to the raving TA reports we decided it would be worth our while to wait. Our first disappointment was that 30% of the menu was not available. We had to ask for our drinks/refills several times. To be honest when the food arrived it was delicious and well presented. We had been given a small basket of bread and two of us took a piece each but decided it was definitely from the day before so left the basket untouched. Service was slow and the bodega was busy. I asked for the check and though it seemed quite a lot but as there were five of us and I did not have my glasses on I paid the bill and left. On arriving back at the apartment I was shocked to see we had been charged 6.25 euros for the small basket of stale bread plus another amount for olives we did not ask for or touch. I appreciate Mijas is a tourist trap and in the past I have paid an euro for bread served with Tapas but find in being charged such an enormous amount for food we did not order or eat - shows the owner of the bodega has nothing but contempt for tourists and is relying on the rave revues from TA to increase custom. Yes the food is good but beware and check your bill before leaving and if you do not want the "extras" return them immediately and check they are not charged for.

4  Thank Lyndamac
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Would highly recommend tapas bar in the centre of Mijas Pueblo, 'Bodega El Placer'. Tapas excellent, staff friendly and a good atmostphere in this small bar. Good wine recommended by staff. Great selection of gins too. Always visit here when staying in Mijas.