“Excellent restaurant. Top quality food”
Review of Las Casitas

Las Casitas
Ranked #145 of 473 Restaurants in Mijas
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
“Excellent restaurant. Top quality food”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Staying at Los amigos for a week we dined at las casitas most days and evenings. Very very good food. Really impressive menu and the staff are amazing. I recognize the effort the restaurant goes to in order to please the guests. Well done guys.

• Visited April 2014

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good value meals”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Once again we visited Las Castas restaurant which is situated at Los Amigos Beach Club in Playa Marina, Mijas Costa.
We have dined in this restaurant for over twenty years when on holiday in Los Amigos. Run by Gordon & Lisa and a team of excellent staff the restaurant is a relaxing place to eat and there is good quality entertainment on throughout the year to add to an enjoyable dining experiance.
The menu is varied with a good choice of entrees, mains and sweets with a decent wine list at moderate prices to wash it down.
I recommend the Argentinian Rump Steak with peppercorn sauce and my wifes favourite is Twice Roasted Pork Belly with mustard mash and topped with pancetta.
The cheese cakes are to die for and there is a different specials board every night but if you want your homestyle cooking there is beef and ale pie, sausage and mash and all the usual favourites.
There is a half board option at 19.90 euros per day which gives you a full english breakfast with toast and preserves plus tea or coffee, in the evening you can select three courses from the half board menu or choose an a la carte dish and pay a small supplement.
Booking is advisable in high season or in low season when there is a premier entertainment act on.
We have booked our table for Christmas and look forward to our next visit.

• Visited March 2014
Preston, United Kingdom
“Disappointing albeit it was a low season visit - don't be put off”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here in March 2014 for 8 days. Have been to this resort several times before and have tried Las Casitas before and knew it was a good place. Unfortunately on this occasion we went to have a late lunchtime meal (2.20pm). Las Casitas advertises on its board food served all day, we ordered drinks and asked for the menu. We were told no meals served from 2pm -6pm. The Guy who served us did apologise, served our drinks and provided a dish of mixed nuts, which was a kind gesture and appreciated.
Knowing this restaurant from the past, I don't wish to criticise...but perhaps Las Casitas, during the low season don't advertise you serve meals all day...be honest and say restricted service and give times. Just a pity..in this instance

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jim M
Braunton, United Kingdom
“Ideal when staying at Los Amigos Beach Club”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This restaurant is in the centre of Los Amigos Beach Club and serves food from breakfast time until late night-time when there is also live entertainment in the same area. We had one full English Breakfast and one lunch from the varied day-time menu, neither of which could be faulted. The food was hot, well cooked and as described on the menu. It was served efficiently by polite friendly staff.

• Visited September 2013
“Very good food, atrocious service”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We ate twice at Las Casitas and on both occasions there were problems - serious problems.

Let's do the good stuff first. Location is fine, slap bang in the middle of a DRI resort which is one of the best we've stayed at so the bar is already set. Given that you likely have to drive or get a taxi to anywhere in this location, having an onsite facility is a big draw.

Food quality and menu choice (for non-vegetarians) is excellent. Plenty to please the tastebuds and good to see more than meat and a handful of string fries as is often the case in this part of Spain.

Next, the menu is well priced for an on resort restaurant. Specials running at up to €16 is perfectly acceptable and they are changed every day, producing nice surprises like chorizo and spinach stuffed chicken breast, tempura king prawns with a piquant sauce, Argentinian rib eye steak with a black pepper crust. Yummy stuff.

Third, the way in which they assemble and present dishes is first rate. On this score they're punching above their weight. When they say the spinach is wilted it is. When they say 'mashed poato' they mean a smooth and well flavored mash.

Finally, food quality is certainly very acceptable. My steak on our second visit was cooked exactly to order and of high quality.

But...and this is where things go downhill very quickly, service aspects of this eatery leave much to be desired.

The wine menu is very short and unimaginative but then there is nothing above €20 which is VERY cheap for a restaurant. So...first problem - the wine and food menus are out of balance. We could not for example, get a decent Ribera del Duero to go with a steak.

Next - this is not a place for vegetarians. One choice only. But then being a vegetarian is also a choice and rarely well catered for in Spain unless you do your research well in advance.

But it is the service where everything goes pear shaped. First night we were offered bread - never arrived. Next, when we ordered carajillo (espresso with a small shot of brandy) we got Irish coffee. OK - so my Spanish is not up to snuff but I've been ordering this drink for eight years all over Spain without incident.

Then when we got the bill I was certain it was wrong and asked them to check it. The bill was much less than I expected. The waiter assured me it was correct and I paid then what they asked, leaving a generous tip as part compensation.

Next evening, we were told that it would be better to arrive 30 minutes later than we wished. "We're a bit busy at that time." OK - I can handle that. But when we arrived, the head waiter rushed over saying they'd undercharged us the previous evening. No hello, how are you etc. Just a straight up statement made as though it was our problem. "Sorry, but that's not my problem," I politely but firmly shot back.

We were then shown to our table. The place was busy and filling up but we then waited 10 minutes before anyone came to offer a drink and another 5 minutes before we saw a menu. By the time we saw our food we had been waiting an hour but that's our problem - how so?

The same surly waiter came over waving a time ticket insisting we had not been waiting as long as we had. Duh? At this point I said: "Food in five minutes or we're leaving." That got the astonishing response: "Are you threatening me?" At this point I'd had enough and said - again firmly but politely: "Not at all. I am simply telling you. I am not prepared to wait more than another five minutes when I've already waited close to an hour."

At this point food duly arrived and it was very good. But by that stage the evening had been ruined.

This is a terrible shame. Las Casitas could be so much better and it is all down to service. Heck, I'd even pay a bit more because the food is really good and the ambiance is certainly as good as you can expect from a a resort. Other reviewers have fared better but then having visited twice on successive evenings and had problems I am thinking this is a 'feature' of the current management. And to put it into perspective, one waiter told me that they are well down for August numbers but are well booked for September and October. That doesn't surprise given the overall state of the EU economy. Surely, that's the time when you double down on service?

The following day I asked at reception about Las Casitas ownership. It is a franchise operation. I believe what they really mean is that it is a leased operation as I don't know of other restaurants carrying that brand. Whatever the situation, it is a great pity that an otherwise top rate apartment complex is spoiled by a restaurant that delivers great food but falls wildly short on service.

• Visited August 2013