“Highly recommended - try the promotional holiday”

CLC Club La Costa World
Ranked #2 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Mijas
“Highly recommended - try the promotional holiday”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Received a call offering us heavily discounted accommodation at Marina del Sol after completing a questionaire at Tenerife airport after our holiday in the New Year. The offer was for our family of four at £249. We took up the offer and arranged flights. I admit I was a bit sceptical at first after reading the mixed reviews on here but thought we would go with an open mind. Please bear with me with this review I do tend to be thorough with my reviews so I can give you a good insight into how we found our holiday. Also I have read some recent reviews that are not good but we had a totally different experience to some of the most recent reviews.
Date of holiday 21st July - 28th July.
Arrival: Check in excellent, only us checking in approx 7pm. Was told prior to arrival via a courtesy call from CLC that we would be in a 1 bedroom apartment with all mod cons etc. Upon check in we were told we were in a 2 bedroom townhouse! Good start. Ourselves and luggage were taken round to our accommodation via the porters/car. Although we were just behind the reception its a one way system around some of the complex. Entered accommodation and Wow! Fully fitted kitchen inc washing machine etc, large lounge and dining area with a dining area to seat 6 people, sofa, chairs, stools, tv, dvd player and cd player etc. Spotlessly clean couldn't fault in any way. Terrace with table, parasol, 4 chairs and 2 further reclining chairs. Terrace led out onto a large lawned communal area. Fab view of sea and view of coastline to Fuengirola and beyond! and a stones throw away from the pool! Couldn't ask for better. Marble staircase led up to a spotless marble bathroom with shower over bath, main bedroom, twin bedroom on rear of property. Both bedrooms had ample built in storage. Iron and ironing board in twin room storage. Air conditioning was in lounge area and main bedroom. In the twin bedroom it was ceiling fan.Again all areas were spotless. Decor was great. I am attaching some photos so you can see exactly what it was like. (keep checking back as I have some other property photos on another device that I have not uploaded yet. As soon a s I have I will put them on here).
Overall complex: No problems with staff. found them all to be friendly and would help you in anyway. Tried El Tajo restaurant - this is a must! Excellent food and service. We went there twice during our stay and would highly recommend. El Tajo is next to Sam's pantry, next to Reception. Sam's pantry is great for fresh baked bread in a morning and if you feel peckish in the afternoon there is a large selection of cakes to eat in or take out. Very yummy. They also have a small selection of groceries.There is also a small mini market on site down past Zacharys towards the beach.
As previous reviewers have said the complex is large and very hilly but there is the road train that will take you around the resort.
We also tried Zacharys restaurant.Bit like an American sports bar type place. Again was very good, in our case service was not slow as some reviewers have commented on and food was good.
Staying in the accommodation we were allocated we were allowed to use numerous pools as pointed out at check in. Zacharys being one of them. This pool did have the bar and music playing but to be honest we had a pool to go to straight from our terrace and this was great for us. It had a small childrens pool which our 4 year old loved to be in and was safe. We found that nobody was up early to put towels on the loungers! This is a first! 10am and nobody had reserved a lounger! Its a small pool area but seemed to accommodate the guests in that immediate area well. Nobody was left without a lounger. There are two toilets next to the pool, a gents and a ladies. I took our daughter to the ladies a couple of times and it was spotlessly clean. Floor got a bit wet from going straight from the pool area but this was to be expected.There is not a bar at this pool but this didn't seem to bother anybody. It was that close to everybody's house that you nipped back, got a drink from your fridge and took it back to pool. I even saw guests taking cups of tea to their loungers! The feel of this area seemed like it had created its own little community.
Check out: we had a ridiculously timed flight back at 04.15 in the morning. One of the downsides of getting the cheapest flights possible. This wasn't a problem for reception. We booked a taxi transfer for 01.30am and reception booked that to pick us up at our house so we wouldn't have to make our way to reception ourselves with the luggage. The taxi then pulled up at reception so I could officially check out. Check out time is 10am but we were actually checking out earlier than that so we still had our accommodation.
Right now for the main reason we were here - the presentation.
Again as previously stated was bit unsure after reading reviews before went. We do have family members that are timeshare members so do know a bit about how they work.
We were picked up at 9.15 for a morning presentation by a lovely guy called Stuart. We had a lovely breakfast across at the Safari restaurant. Stuart then took us to the main head office on the complex for our presentation. It was a large air conditioned room with individual desks that each 'holiday consultant' took there guests too. (some previous comments said room was hot and stuffy etc, not sure what room they were in!). Stuart ran through details of the company
etc etc explained how CLC work. We DID NOT feel pressured into signing up for anything at any point during our presentation. Stuart took us to different areas of the complex to show us the type of accommodation we could be staying in if we were members of CLC world. These were great. We then went back and discussed further how it all works. Yes the time was going on and we did spend the best part of 6 hours but that is only because we were thorough and asking questions etc and we did have 2 kids with us! We also had our lunch there as well!Now for us the whole aspect of the CLC holiday seemed like something that would suit us. My husband is very particular about finances etc and was sat working lots of sums out! and as a result of this we did sign up to become members. Now some of the previous reviewers will be thinking what, why have they done that etc etc. I am always honest in my reviews and always tell it how it is. Previous reviewers have said they have been expected to pay £18k-£20k. We have not paid no where near this. Basically you pay, what you can afford not what they tell you it will cost. Also previous reviewers state that you purchase a weeks holiday(not sure if they understood it right). You purchase points. The amount of points you receive depends on the amount of monies that you can afford. As I have just said before we didn't pay what people thought they had to pay and we still received enough points to give us more than a weeks holiday a year. For the first three years we will also receive bonus points added to our allocation. It all works on how you use your points to get the best holidays you can. If you don't use all your points for that particular year then they get carried over to the following year. We are not going away again this year so our points for this year added to next years will allow us to have 3 or 4 weeks holiday if we wish next year. There is also promotional offers for members where you can get for example 50% off(points) certain holidays, if you can work around these offers the you will save even more points. You are also not restricted or given a set week etc like some other timeshare companies. You can holiday at any time in the year, you are not restricted in anyway. You can also upgrade your points at anytime depending on if you can afford to do this. When you sign up you become a 'Fractional' member. Basically the money you pay for your points is allocated to a part of a property. Unlike some of the other timeshare companies where you don't get anything out of it at the end, you get some of your finances back at the end of the term when they sell the property. Its not an investment as you will not get the full amount back but you will get a fraction of your monies paid back. After reading some of the previous reviews I think some people don't quite understand how it works and think they get as a fractional member 1 weeks holiday out of 52 and that they are paying a lot of money for 1 weeks holiday.
I have tried to explain it best I can in simple terms. This type of holiday may not be for you but if it is then have a think about it.
Sorry if it seems like I've gone on and on and on.......Lol........but I do try to give a thorough review to give you as much information as possible.
Please look at my photos so you can see for yourself the type of accommodation we were in and the views of the complex etc.
Any questions please ask.
Many thanks to all staff from CLC world inc the marketing team, to staff on resort, to Stuart and David. Our promotional holiday exceeded our initial expectations.

17 Thank Thefarugas
CLCWorld, Guest Relations Manager at CLC Club La Costa World, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were very pleased to see that you enjoyed both the resort and your accommodation and it was nice to see that you experienced some of the family atmosphere that can be generated by our guests, many of whom have been regular visitors over a number of years. As you have experienced, our presentations give us the opportunity to explore with guests whether the holiday options we have to offer may suit their needs. We recognise it's an important decision and we aim to make our presentations friendly, informative and interesting, and of course recognise that this does take time. It's very important to us that guests ask as many questions as they want about how our product will work for them before joining a company of nearly 30 years standing, with more than 50,000 members who can use their points and take up special offers to enjoy holidays around the world. We are delighted that you have chosen to become a member of the CLC World family and I have passed on your kind comments to the staff in our marketing department and elsewhere on the resort. We wish you well on your future holidays and please do not hesitate to contact member services for any guidance or assistance you may require.
Resort Manager, Costa del Sol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Our condo was very secure. It had an almost private pool and was extremely clean. It was difficult to find and the access ability was poor. A lengthy walk to the beach which was trashy and not good for swimming.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank nrider
uk
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a promotional holiday, I'd filled in a "competition" entry at Malaga Airport knowing exactly what it was. We paid £249 for a 2 bedroomed apartment. We we were allocated a lovely 2 bed townhouse at marina del sol, numbers 141 t 171 are all lovely, contemporary interiors and most importantly air conditioned! I had confirmed we would have a/c on the Monday before we travelled. We were there peak summer and there was no rush for sunbeds which was a nice surprise.

For the sales talk we were collected by Aurelie who was most pleasant, friendly and polite. The managers we spoke to were Angela and James, again both professional and gave a positive impression of CLC. The product simply wasn't for us and I made that quite clear. It did drag but, and I stress we never once felt pressured to buy or sign up for anything. I think the mistake most people who don't want to buy make is that they ask loads of questions and pretend they are interested and then don't buy which winds them up. We were door to door in 4 hours which I think is some kind of record! Also we weren't even given a price and were only shown round one apartment ( the nicest one which was beautiful), that is how much they knew we had no intention of signing up. The bottom line is they are playing a numbers game, churn them through and some will buy....I am really surprised to read about the pressure some were put under...I simply did not witness any of that.

We had a hire car which I personally would consider essential for this resort, we visited Mijas ( absolutely beautiful), Marbella old town and Gibraltar.

So to summarise, go in with your eyes open, confirm a/c before you go, hire a car and IF you don't want to buy don't ask questions and use the stock phrase"it's all very nice but not right for us thank you"

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank dan12335
London
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We went on promo hol for £149 stayed in perfectly reasonable apartment me hubby and 3 kids, it had a welcome pack (very handy indeed when you arrive after midnight) and I must say the apartment was stocked with everything you would require for a self catering holiday. It was cleaned once a week and loads of towels provided plus small selection of toiletries provided. We had to attend a 6 hour meeting to sell us a fraction (timeshare) but we knew the score, basically I can understand the attraction of either selecting a 20k fraction at £167 per year plus service charge including electricity £800 per year for 19 years so that's a total of £35200 for the rest of your life holidays at top resorts around the world which can equate to 4-6 weeks hols per year, or you can opt for the lesser fraction of £11k for 19 years with £500 service chg per yr which is around 3-4 weeks hols per year, I'd buy it if I had a disposable income and wanted to invest as you get back around 3-5k at the end of the 19 years when the fraction is sold, I mean come on the Mediterranean is on your doorstep here a jewel in the nile of the costa del sol you can do a day trip to a different place everyday Belamadena,Fuengirola, Torrmelinous, Marbella, Puerto Banus, what's not to love about this place, also if your man loves golfing this is the place to be, go for it even if its a promo holiday you won't be disappointed, they don't hard sell anything and after that one meeting they don't come near you again, the only downside is on site restaurants are pricey but that's the same with on site eateries the world over, go you will love it here and buy as fraction if you have the money

3 Thank IrishMaggieLondon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This place is 5 star accomodation, every time I come here I have an enjoyable stay and look forward to the next time. yes there is a heavy push on signing up to something and crazy things like re-mortgaging your home to make this possible....but for a free breakfast can you really complain if the answer is no at the end?! The pools in all the different areas are fantastic, yes it gets crowded in zacs but i supose thats expected with the bar and entertainment available here. You also cant fault the rooms, the room I had this time had an amazing roof terrace for 4 people, amazing views and sun all day long...some are even lucky enough to get a jacuzzi on their balcony if you stay at san diego suites. The bar and food prices are a little pricy but the staff themselves are all great, very friendly, helpful and really make you feel welcome...especially Miguel! :-)

The nearest town called fuengirola is about a 10 min drive away (€10 approx, should be no more) and is so worth it for the great restaurants and nightlife they have. Although if you are staying on site, I would recommend el tajo for dinner, it has a great menu.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank chelsj89
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Was cold called for a promotional holiday for one week for £200. Decided to make it a two week holiday and paid nearly £900. for the second week, £1,100.00 in total (room only) Flights, transfers etc all extra,so was not after a CHEAP holiday. The brochure arrived with luxury accommodation shown, it looked delightful, well worth the promotional marketing we had to attend,or so I thought. After spending over FIVE hours of an unpleasant hard sell we were left in peace. Now then: please note the accommodation in the brochures and the lovely 'time share' parts of the complex are NOT what you stay in, very misleading considering we paid Full price for the second week!!. The accommodation was Very basic to say the least! No air conditioning, very very tired and in desperate need of updating, worn furniture,cracked tiles, FIVE bath towels for four adults to last 4-5 days as rooms only cleaned (of a fashion) once a week!. On the second day I discovered how to work the curtain mechanism and to my horror the inside curtain was full of what looked like smeared faeces! I went to reception and they tried to say it must be oil from the track, I have some photos of this and it is definitely not oil!!! The first couple of days the electrics fused twice (needed the candles left in the room) An electrician came out the next day and replaced a few of the main fuses, he said they were very HOT!. This accommodation is also not for the faint hearted.It is very steep and hilly and is a long and hard walk into Fuengirola as there is not a lot to do on site. The site is also overpriced and the food is not great so you really do need to get into the town. The reception staff are not really interested in helping you too much, It seems they think everyone is on a promotional week only. Now would I go back? Fuengirola is quite a nice place and it was a change for me to go to mainland Spain! Would I go back to club la costa? Absolutely not! Not even If they paid me to do so NEVER! All in all probably the Worst holiday EVER and the tackiest accommodation, ok for the £200. for first week but bearing in mind the second week was almost £900.00 for the same crappy room it was the most basic place I have ever stayed! I feel quite foolish for falling for the cold call trap but thought I would give it a go based on the sales pitch of Jenny Bond being an ambassador and being told It was luxury accommodation,It's certainly anything but. Next time I will do as I usually do and book based on reviews and recommendations, pity I did not check them first. Anyone considering C.L.C beware,you get the old poor side of the complex!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
4 Thank bernie1930
I was sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. W are always concerned when we receive feeback that is so at odds with that which we receive from the majority of our guests. We set high standards for cleaning and maintenance and respond very quickly to resolve any problems identified by our guests. In this instance our cleaning staff were able to wipe away the chocolate on the curtain later that day after being told of your concerns. Our resort is built into the hills overlooking the sea but we do find that our visitors, both young and old, very much enjoy the road train which stops at all points around the site. We provide a programme of daytime and evening entertainments and away from the resort our guests will find much to see and do. Our members have chosen self-catering holidays rather than hotels and made clear a preference not to have daily visits from the housekeeping team, and our arrangments are designed to keep apartments clean and tidy in as unobtrusive a way as possible. Our resort was established nearly 30 years ago and we have an ongoing programme of refurbishment. Apartments withour air-conditioning do have fans and we make available portable air con units for a reasonable charge.
Resort Manager, Costa del Sol
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one week on 20 July with my husband and two children and our friends with their three children. We all had our mixed views on the complex. Firstly, I was contacted by a company in January saying I had won a week's stay at Club la Costa from a draw after completing a survey at Malaga airport last year which I thought then was too good to be true (turned out we had to pay a small fee for the week). I wasn't told it was a time share promotion until after I had agreed to go and only then was told we had to attend a morning or afternoon presentation. I had checked the reviews here regularly before our departure and was well aware of what was going to happen at the presentation. We went along one morning after being collected at our apartment by Paul, he was very nice and not over the top, we didn't give much away at our buffet breakfast at the Safari restaurant which had really nice surroundings and good food. We nodded and agreed in all the right places at the 90 min presentation which I did find quite interesting at times but then started losing concentration, they are very cunning at trying to get the kids to guilt trip you by showing them pictures of their dream holidays. At the end we said thank you but politely told them it wasn't for us as the figures seemed very far fetched when they asked us to take out finance of £17,000 plus an annul management fee of £800 for 1/52 fraction share of a house which gives you a one week stay each year, totally mad!! Apart from the presentation which isn't too bad for a cheap week we did enjoy our stay, although the restaurants on site are very expensive compared to Fuengorila. There isn't much entertainment at night but thankfully we were there with another family. My family were able for the hills and the walk into Fuengorila but my friends children are younger so we got the bus in and a taxi back with them. It is a bit out from the main night life but if your okay to walk or bus it then you'll enjoy the complex and the pools depending on which pool you like to use, we used the quieter pool at Sierra Marina, didn't like the pool at Zacarys as far too busy and sun beds packed like sardines. We were told there was a kids club but we were too far from the club to take the kids to the morning and afternoon activities. Our apartment was lovely and had everything we needed apart from no sun on the balcony but can't complain as we were at the pool or the nearby beach. There is a smallish local shop down the hill past Zacarys where you can get most items but for the size of the complex a bigger supermarket would have been more ideal. I can't see me going back to club la costa unless I get an even better price for our week but all in all my family and friends did enjoy our time there.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Vanjrollo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
Eurostars Mijas Golf & Spa
#5 of 27 in Mijas
Myramar Fuengirola Hotel
Myramar Fuengirola Hotel
#6 of 37 in Fuengirola

Been to CLC Club La Costa World? Share your experiences!