“Fabulous accommodation on Costa Del Sol” 4 of 5 bubbles

Los Amigos Beach Club
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Mijas
GreenLeadersGold level
Northern Ireland
“Fabulous accommodation on Costa Del Sol”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We (my husband and I) stayed here during Easter 2013 (31st March – 6th April). We stayed on a Groupon deal, which included a bottle of wine and a basket of food for our arrival. The basket included a loaf of bread, a huge box of cornflakes, 6 eggs, orange juice, milk, margarine, jam, tea, coffee……I have probably forgotten something……needless to say it was a fantastic start to a great stay. We landed in Malaga very early in the morning and I had notified the hotel that we would arrive early – but I was still concerned a room would not be ready. However, the room was indeed ready and reception staff were excellent. There is some talk here on TA about old and new rooms – I am not actually sure what we got but it was spotless and fantastically well equipped. We were in 22A – which had a balcony with a view over the restaurant and we could almost see the pool. It was very spacious and had everything you could dream of for a self-catering holiday. There were two large flat screen TVs – one in the bedroom and one in the lounge. They were both equipped with a full complement of English channels including BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4. We were delighted with this – and it was possible to watch different channels on the different TVs which was another bonus. We did actually self cater here quite a bit because the facilities were so good for doing so. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well here in peace and quiet.

We ate in the on-site restaurant a couple of times and it was always very good food and value for money. A glass of house wine is 1.75 Euros, which is very reasonable in today’s’ economy, and I often partook of a cappuccino (delicious). Staff were always friendly. The supermarket on-site was a bit grotty but it had everything we needed during the stay.

The pools were spotlessly clean – if a little cold at that time of the year. Unfortunately Spring in Costa Del Sol can be changeable and we were aware of that before we went, hoping for the best. We had 3 absolutely excellent days lying by the pool in 25°C but the other 4 days were cloudy and unpredictable at around 16°C. Thankfully there was plenty to do – play tennis, go walking and sightsee in the surrounding areas. Reception staff were more than helpful when we asked about local buses. There is a bus stop on both sides of the main road (on which the hotel is situated). One heading to Marbella / Puerto Banus and the other heading to Fuengirola, Benalmadena and Malaga. The best was to get to Malaga is by taking the bus to Funegirola and catching the train onwards. There was plenty to get up to on the cloudier days but having said that I wouldn’t head off at this time of the year again.

There are a few restaurants in the immediate vicinity. We ate in the beach restaurant (El Faro) which was very good with beautiful views. We also ate in the Thai restaurant along the little strip to the right hand side of the hotel. Although these restaurants don’t look too special I have to say that Thai meal we had was the best meal of the entire holiday for me. The staff were just fantastic and the glasses of house wine are huge!

The beach across the road really isn’t up to much – it has been said here before – again I hoped for the best but it was still a great disappointment for me and the viaduct to get there was horrible.

All in all we had a relaxing stay in these well equipped apartments, staff were second to none and I wouldn’t hesitate to come back – we got such good value for money – but I wouldn’t come back until the summer time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TAmember13
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Amigos Beach Club, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
We are delighted to read that you had a fabulous time here with us and we are pleased that the plethora of facilities available on site meant that you had an enjoyable time regardless the weather. We will of course pass your compliments to the rest of the team as we are certain they will be pleased to learn that you have been satisfied with their service. Thank you for some of the useful tips you have shared with our future guest! We hope to see you coming back soon!

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as it says 1.5km from Malaga city centre to find out after arriving that it's around 15km from city centre

The stuff wasn't that friendly but the place is very good the resident are very friendly old English people staying there

Maybe it's the time I came but it was full of retired people felt like I'm in a retirement home early

Room was very big and equipped from A-Z but there are not tooth brushes :)

It's very far from everything not even by the beach but it has got few swimming pools.

No Internet in the rooms so if u there for business too please try to get your own Internet as the rate there are very expensive €10 per day.

I only stayed 7 hours there but won't go again

Also one very important thing check out at 10am and they do disturb you to check out.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Robert_ROme
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Amigos Beach Club, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
We regret to read that you feel the information regarding the distance from Malaga to Los Amigos Beach Club was incorrectly presented to you. We would like to kindly note that we do advise on our website and via our rental partners that the distance from Malaga airport to our resort is 30km and the nearest shops are 4 km away, yet, there is a supermarket on site and the beach is circa 300m walk away. We apologise if this was not what you have expected and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us and we thank you for taking the time to share your impressions; we regret to learn that you might not be considering us for your future bookings and we wish you all the best on your future travels.

Bursledon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Recommend strongly Las Amigos beach club been 8 times over about 20 years, reception staff our wonderful, Cleaners lovely perfect rooms, so our the 2 girls doing the activities loved doing the Painting on the beach, my Mum even won a bottle of fine Spanish Cava Wine.
Las Casitas Club house run my Gordon & Lisa was Excellent there food is fantastic large portions and yummy - Great for a drink or ice cold beer we were outside in the sun about 24.c in April - we had the Half Board option we recommend taking the 3 days H/B as the food is Fab for 60 Euro's each.
The Swimming pools our fantastic for the children - little pool for the toddlers and great massive pool - even a swim upto sought off type bar and the ice creams our nice, Brilliant for children of all ages.
The evening shows at Las Casitas our very good my favourite is Frankie B from the 80's pop band 'HeatWave' and Gordon hes always funny... Laughing running joke with my dad - David Fitton M.B.E. as he wears his white sports socks with his brown open leather sandels.
Try going to Le Taje restaurant excellent food run by Diago, and Miguels Bar 5 minutes walk away up the steps again great local food ask for directions from reception there very good and on the outside of the complex is Soho tapas bar & snacks very nice and cheap do a lunch deal for 6.95 Euros including a beer.
I went with my parents and wife and our looking forward to going back in Summer 2013.
5 Star all the way well done Diamond Resorts.
We stayed on the 5th April - 12th April 2013 had a sunny week and very relaxing very recommended.
The sandy beach now has fancy toilets and parasols etc.... Very posh.

Many Thanx from Pat, David, Gareth & Ruth Fitton.

Room Tip: Try Soho Spanish mini Bar next to supermarket is linked outside to los Amigos and for 6.95 Euro'...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank garben
We are delighted that you and your family had a fabulous week here with us and enjoyed your stay both on the premises and in the local area. We put great emphasis on ensuring that our guests are well looked after and can relax and feel at home at the Los Amigos Beach Club. We are pleased to read that you indeed intend to visit us again in the summer and we will make sure that your next stay will be even better than the last!

Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had a one bedroom apartment and honestly, I have never been in such a well equippedd and high standard place for the money.Absolutely spotless and tastefully decorated. Two flatscreen TVs, DVD, 2 ipod docking stations, great full kitchen with dishwasher and even a washing machine in the bathroom. Add to this free use of the indoor pool, hot tub and sauna. The beach is just a 2 minute alk away and has a lovely beach restaurant with greatviews. We will certainly be back

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are similar but I think in summer to pool side rooms may be noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank theloneranger_9
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Amigos Beach Club, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Your satisfaction and readiness to come back are the best compliment we could ask for and so we are pleased to read that you had such a nice time at Los Amigos Beach Club! We are looking forward to seeing you again!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and it was everything I expected. Unlike a previous review, I really enjoyed the entertainment and menu at Las Casitas Club, and didn't have any problems at all. I certainly never witnessed any behaviour resembling that as it is described, and I was there on that evening in question. I have to strenuously disagree with that review, and can only say that my stay was superb and the club host was excellent.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nick C
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Nice hotel. Spacious room with fully-equipped kitchen, very clean, free parking right to hotel door, nice staff, they helped us very much. I recomand this hotel. Very well located for the beach. That's all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
West Byfleet
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I am a Diamond International points owner and as such use a lot of their resorts in Europe and America. This resort is of the standard I would expect from them, clean and in good repair. We had a 2 bed unit which was well equipped and when there were any issues they were quickly resolved. The pool area is nice but freezing but the indoor pool is great for those of us less keen on very cold water.
The resort is isolated and even with the small number of restaurants nearby a car is still a must. It might also make getting from the airport better value as it is a 50 euro taxi ride one way. We hired from Malaga Car which only force you to purchase a half tank of fuel.!
I rarely if ever review Diamond resort properties but in this instance I feel I must given how awful the entertainment was. We went to the quiz night and I can only describe the host as racist. He started his set by telling us that 7 years ago someone had written to Suntara, as Diamond then was, complaining that he had made racist remarks, he had said he wasn’t and everyone should be able to take a joke. He then proceeded to pick on an Indian waiter telling us he had just been home and his mum was trying to set him up for marriage, but it would have to wait 2 years because the girl was only 12. He then moved on to an American family. The daughter was Brazilian and he suggested that the brother and sister should get together to make good looking kids. I can honestly say I have never walked out of entertainment previously but I could not sit through any more of this. I cancelled my sales chat that Diamond prefer you to attend (be strong and decline if you are not interested in this) as if this is the type of entertainment that Diamond believe their customers appreciate then I have no interest in being a Diamond customer.
This marred and otherwise great holiday and I will not be returning to this resort because of this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tamsin D
diamondresorts, Manager at Los Amigos Beach Club, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
We deeply regret that you appear not to have been impressed with the standard of entertainment offered at our resort. We have of course addressed these issues with the entertainer himself as although we have been assured by the him that the comments you have mentioned have been made as a joke, we appreciate that they may not have been understood in the way intended and some members of the audience could have interpreted these as inappropriate. We once again apologise for the inconvenience you may have experienced due to this and would like to assure you that we are very happy to open our doors to all the globe and we endorse and celebrate all cultures.
We sincerely hope this has not marred what appears to have been an otherwise pleasant stay and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

With kind regards
Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mijas
El Oceano Beach Hotel
Hotel IPV Palace & Spa
Hotel IPV Palace & Spa
#2 of 37 in Fuengirola
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,204 reviews

Been to Los Amigos Beach Club? Share your experiences!