“absolutely awful”

Hotel Best Oasis Tropical
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Mojacar
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times over Christmas, but this was our last time. We booked a room with disability facilities but it was not available. The suit of rooms we were given was useless as the wheelchair did not fit through the door of the bedroom. We than decided to try an ordinary bedroom as it was getting late and we did not want to get home in the dark. This was also a disaster. We had water coming down from the room above which flooded our bathroom, the beds were like concrete and we were both in terrible pain the next morning and we decided to check out. Suddenly the hotel could provide a room with disability facilities, SUPRISE, The room was perfect. The food this year lacked any finesse at all and was very bland and uninteresting. The coffee at breakfast was degusting. When a Hotel serves up mutton, than it is time to leave for good. Cleaning standards in the pool and jacuzzi is although very poor and the hotel has very poor maintenance. In fact I would say that it is worn out and is in need of a total refit. I would give it a maximum of two stars. Sorry, but this is the truth and it is sad.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa b
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best Oasis Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your review. Just knowing how is feeling our customer help us very much to do a better job.
I´m sorry you have not been confortable on this occasion. Our duty is to provide our best service to our clients but sometimes there are mutters beyond of our control. With reference to the food, we are very disapointed of your opinion becouse the mayority of our guest were very satisfied with it.
I reiterate my sincere apologies for the inconveniences.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Spent the Christmas period at the Best Oasis Tropical, well provided menus throughout our stay (full board) with Xmas Eve and Day menus of above average quality. All staff very friendly, bedrooms comfortable and clean, with good facilities. A good 10-day holiday in our favourite resort of Mojacar.

Room Tip: Make request for sea/pool view room on booking
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank brassbandbrian
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best Oasis Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Mr. Brassband....
Thank you very much for your nice remarks about your stay in best Oasys Tropical.
We like that enjoyed your holidays.
His nice words will be transmitted to all staff.
We hope to see you soon again in Best Oasys Tropical.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed with family for two nights over the Christmas period between 24-26th. I will break my review into sections and rate each out of 5 (1 = poor, 5 = excellent).

Location and parking 4
Right on the beach and a short walk from Mojacar or Garrucha. Not much in the immediate area (e.g. shops, bars), but adds to the tranquil feel of the hotel.

Cleanliness 5
Absolutely no problems. Maid came in every morning and did a great job. Public areas were also well kept.

Service 4
Very friendly, approachable staff who do their best to make you feel welcome. Service in the bar and restaurant was top notch. All apart from the lady on reception at the masseur's spoke adequate English. The only slight problem was that their were often long lines at reception in the early afternoon when most people checked in, and only one person was manning the desk. I guess there was a shortage of staff over Christmas, however, so I kind of understand.

Food 3.5
A good selection off food at the buffet. The chef also cooked fresh stuff on the grill to order, such as pork loin steaks, beef steaks and sausages. Also had carved turkey on offer on Christmas day. Breakfast included a cooked option (traditional fried foods) and pancakes cooked fresh on the grill. Free wine and cava for Christmas eve dinner made a nice touch. I did have a couple of issues. The juice for breakfast (orange, pineapple, or mixed fruit) was powdered, and frankly, disgusting. In a country that grows fresh oranges, and in a four star hotel, I would have expected nothing less than fresh juice. A beef steak I had from the grill was very raw, and I had to leave most of it. Also the in general food could have been a little hotter (often a problem with buffets). I often saw the manager/inspector patrolling the restaurant, talking to customers and asking about their experiences, which I thought was good. On the whole I was satisfied, and it was nice to have those extra special touches for Christmas.

Rooms 4
Very spacious and adequately equipped. The bed was absolutely massive, even for me (I am quite a tall person). Rooms included a basic TV, balcony with plastic chairs and table, wooden chairs in the room, bedside cabinets and lights, plenty of storage, fridge, safe (5 euro deposit per night), bath and shower unit and a bday. The mattress protector was too small for the bed and kept coming loose, which was annoying as I had to keep adjusting it during the night. Would have also preferred more comfortable chars in the room, but overall I was very satisfied.

Pool Facilities 4
The indoor pool was the perfect temperature, and not too busy. Had an enjoyable swim in there. There is also a jacuzzi which was a nice touch. The only reason I did not give 5 was because the outdoor pools were in a bit of a sorry state. The bottom was full of dead leaves, muck and mould, which didn't make a very good impression even though nobody was using them.

Amenities and Bar 5
There is a lovely spa, which costs 5 euros for one and a half hours. The sessions are at 10AM, 12PM, 4PM or 6PM, and are well worth the money. The span includes a steam room, turkish bath (out of use during my stay), sauna, hot tubs, massaging showers and plunge pools of different temperatures (one of which has stones on the bottom that massage your feet as you walk up and down). Also enjoyed a nice hot coal massage. Prices for those vary from 20-40 euros, depending on duration. The bar has a wide drink selection for reasonable prices, and had live music during the festive period.

Atmosphere 5
There was a nice buzz about the place, and the staff made us feel very welcome.

Overall 4
Would definitely come back again, and are considering rebooking for Christmas 2014!

Thanks for a great stay, and feliz nuevo año :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ryan F
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best Oasis Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you very much for your nice remarks.
We really like to know that you have enjoyed your stay in Best Oasys Tropical.
We forward your comments to all our departments and they will be really happy because they work hard every day to give our customers their best holidays.
We hope to see you soon again in Best Oasys Tropical.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Lovely hotel with good sized bedroom and huge comfortable bed. Plenty of toiletries in bathroom. Staff very helpful and friendly,most of whom had a good handle of english. Food plentiful and great choice. Although not the hottest, which is the spanish way, there were microwaves in which you could heat your food to the desired temperature. Free bottle of wine and water with evening meal. Very clean. Indoor pool (reverts to outdoor pool in summer) was lovely. We stayed first week in November so fairly quiet and were able to enjoy the pool every day of our stay. Spa facilities excellent too, especially the hot lemon bath and the hot stone bath! Hot lemon bath tiling coming away and does need a bit of attention but that really is the only thing that wasn't great but it didn't take away anything from the relaxation the spa afforded. Would recommend it for a relaxing holiday. However, there is nothing round about the hotel, no bars, restaurants, shops etc. Car needed or bus right outside hotel. Also entertainment is not geared to the British in any way. Simple thing - free bingo ticket but numbers called in Spanish and they obviously have their own little rhymes re various numbers so you really had no chance of understanding it. You couldn't sit outside the bar area as it was taken over by smokers and the air stank of smoke - probably this was my biggest bug bear, not being a smoker!

Room Tip: We were on same floor as reception and air con wasn't great. Looking at the hotel from the beach...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carolcaldwell54
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best Oasis Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding the Best Oasis Tropical hotel
Thanks to these reviews we can ensure that we continue to improve.
We are pleased that you enjoyed the holidays spent in our hotel and I apologise for any inconviences that you may have had.

Best Regards,

Hotel Oasis Tropical

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Good beachside location, large outside pool with a heated covered one for wintertime. Used the gym but it was ruined slightly by young children running around and playing with the weights.

Good choice of food at the buffet bars. The room was clean and beds large and comfy. Had itv uk channel on TV. All rooms have a nice large balcony with patio furniture.

Evening entertainment was not good with only bingo in Spanish in the bar. Drinks not cheap but reasonably priced.

Would recommend and go back if I was in the area again,

Room Tip: All the rooms overlooking the pool have a large balcony with sea views. Bring a kettle as none provi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best Oasis Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your review. It is an honour for us to receive such and extensive and positive review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Oasis Tropical and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Your sinceraly

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I returned to this region for the 6th time, but this was a hotel first for us- we usually booked a villa and hotels seperatley on-line.

I will not make the same mistake twice!!

When we arrived at the hotel in our hire car with 2 young children and 8 bags to transportr from reception to our room which was an incredibly long walk from the lifts, we asked the receptionist if we could safely park in th disabled parking space - (which were the only spaces in front of the hotel) until we unloaded the suitcases. She confirmed that we could- when we retuned to our car we had received a 200 euro parking ticket- when we spoke to the same receptionist about tbhis she suddenly did not speak any english.

I then visited the TOWN HALL where one goes to pay fines in Mojacar- the translkator told me that the fine would be halved if I paid it immediately- but that I should demand a refund of the 100 euro fine from the Hotel as it was their fault that we received the ticket. Uppon my return to the hotel that day I asked to speak to the Manager - the same receptionist told me the manager was on holiday and would not return durint eh whole duration of our stay.

I now plan to raise legal proceedings against this disgraceful hotel for the 100 euros plus court expenses.

This ecperience spoiled our whole holiday and I would recommend that all holiday makers consiering Mojacar stay away from this nhotel as they appear very anti- brits.

The room we were allocated was dirty, shabby andsuch uncomfortable beds- I dont know what type of clientel this hotel attracts but it is the first ever Hotel thast I have every stayed, that has had RUBBER SHEETS on the beds,..The rubber sheet squeaked loudly every time I turned over- which meant none of us slept well and woke feeling simply dreadful.

BOOKING THIS HOTEL WAS A HUGE MISTAKE, AS IT SPOILT OUR WHOLE HOLIDAY.

None of the tourist information was in english and the staff dont want to speak English so the staff could not offer any level of customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view all rooms in thisn hotel are very very noisy so at least you will have a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Groovychic2013
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best Oasis Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you received a parking fine but as I am sure that you understand we cannot give our customers permission to park their cars in spaces for disabled persons as they are on public ground and are not property of the hotel. All of our staff are more than aware of this and also aware that the local police doing regular controles in the area to ensure that cars are not parked illegally.

The hotel has a private underground car park which is used by many customers as it ensures them ease of parking and security.

On occasions customers do stop on disabled spaces to unload their cars, however they then leave the other passengers with the cases and till they park their cars in an appropriate space. Again this is done at the customers own risk and we cannot give permission for them to do this.

As for the plastic sheets this is a measure taken by the hotel, to ensure that we maintain high levels of hygiene, for the benefit of our guest.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a typical holiday hotel catering mainly for the Spanish but just about tolerating us Brits!!

It is certainly well appointed and the first impressions are very good. It is spotlessly clean in all areas both inside and outside. The bedrooms are spacious with a balcony, ours overlooked the pool areas and the very noisy entertainment area which generally started at 10.00p.m. !!

However there were no drawers anywhere in the room so all our everyday bits and pieces were left out on a surface somewhere. There was a safe in the wardrobe which I could not find out how to work but was told by reception that i would have to pay extra to have it activated!
Ther was a phone in the room but no instructions whatsoever so did not have a clue how to make calls so used my mobile. When I had to phone reception to alert them to the fact that our room had not been cleaned (5.0p.m.!!) I tried dialling 0 - nothing, so I started at 1 and eventually when I got to 9 a ringing tone was heard though no idea who I was speaking to when it was answered, room did get cleaned though!
Towels provided were awful, the more we wiped the more the wet got spread across our limbs etc and they were so hard. Could not understand why they ask us to leave towels on the rails if we didn't need them to be changed but in the bath if we did, but then they changed them ALL anyway!!!
Beds were very large and quite comfortable so had a good night's sleep despite the racket coming up from the entertainment!
Restaurant was immense and very busy. Food was a buffet style with plenty of variety though the salads were pretty much the same every night. On our first night we had a salad starter then the main course which we wished we had not botherd with. All the meats were tough and everything was luke warm at the best though mostly cold. For the rest of the stay we avoided all the "hot" choices and just had soup and salads. Deserts were OK and there was usually fresh fruit available. Breakfasts were good, at least they were hot though the choice was the same everyday.
The outside areas were very good, plenty of sun beds and 3 good sized pools and the areas were usually very clean. Ther was plenty of activity arranged for the children though they would have to understand Spanish to be able to fully join in as the amount of translation into English was minimal at best.
One very big downside for us was the outide seating areas by the bars which was absolutely ruined by the SMOKERS and the whole area was filled with awful smell of the smoke. but then this is what we come to expect from Spain.
Altogether though a very good week's stay was had but definitely NOT A 4 STAR.

Room Tip: If you don't want the noise then I guess you should ask for a room at the back of the hotel but...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lomos14
BESTHOTELS2013, Director Hotel at Hotel Best Oasis Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear customer
I appreciate very much that has made us get your assessment after your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that on general you enjoyed your stay.
We will take into account the aspects pointed out and on which we need to improve.
Receive a cordial greeting.