“Ok but.....”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Mojacar
Derby, United Kingdom
“Ok but.....”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Nice hotel and food but geared towards the Spanish, not that I mind but getting a drink at the bar is hard work at night, not enough staff on to cope at weekends when the hotel is rammed full. The food choice is excellent and again it is best at weekends when all the Spanish arrive. Wouldn,t come back again and I love Spain but it seems like they just dont want Brits here.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view they all have sea views..avoid rooms 2103/5/7/9 these are behind the stage outsi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank flybitten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
stokeon
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Just returned from a two week stay at the Oasis Tropical. Hotel reception was nice with lots of sofas, a very pleasant place to sit, and the room was spacious with two large beds and a double wardrobe with mirror doors, very handy to have a full length mirror in the room, nice clean bathroom with shower over the bath.
Good selection of food, very good salad bar but the other food was not always very warm.
The dining room was large so there was always plenty of room and the staff were friendly.
There is no bars or restaurants outside the hotel, just a supermarket across from the hotel, but, there is very good bus service outside the hotel only costing 1.20 euro Mojacar Pueblo the village in the mountains is well worth a visit, but if you go at low season the buses only run until 9.30.
There is no currency exchange facilities in the hotels, the banks charge 6-10 euros per transaction. There is a tobacconist shop on Mojacar Playa near to the Hotel Indalo which does commission free exchange at a good rate and the local bus stops right outside the Hotel Indalo.
Mojacar is nice resort but there is not much nightlife, but ideal for a relaxing break.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anneledgar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Arrived late longish drive to hotel, driver had to drop others off. Receptionist was ok. Room was good two double beds, bathroom clean and fairly modern. Had a nice view of pool and sea. Slightly noisy, in the evening from music and entertainment up until midnight. Think it may be worse in the high season. Get a room sea facing or car park to avoid noise. Food adequate, but for veggies a bit lacking. Nice bread. Beware if you are half board you will be hit with a drinks bill for dinner on your departure, luckily we only drunk coke and water. Steam room 5 euros and very nice. Nice beach in Garracha at the end of town with two good supermarkets. It takes 5 minutes on bus from outside hotel. Sea was clean but cold and slightly scary due to the sharp drop. However if you have time I am sure you could master it. Over all I nice place to visit out of season with nice scenery and fresh air. Mainly Spanish resort which was fine. Mojacar is nice but not much to do there. Very clean surrounding area with mainly holiday appartments. Spanish people seemed friendly and nice. We went to Mojaca market but was a big letdown as only a few stalls. Garrucha market was much bigger but geared towards the locals. Nice little coffee shop in the market.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jill c
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I went on a university field trip, and we all stayed in this hotel, so didn't really expect much. We stayed for one week and were warned that the Spanish people tend to holiday around here so learnt a few phrases beforehand to get me by. As we were on a field trip, didn't really use the facilities as you would on a holiday.

Overall the hotel was lovely, clean and furnished really nice. The room was overlooking the car park, which didn't bother us but other people might prefer ones overlooking the pool. It was clean with a fridge (great for storing water) and a tv. The beds were really big and comfy, and the bathroom was nice enough with new towels and cleaning done each day. The wifi was a bit hit and miss in the rooms, but I did manage to go on the internet every now and then from the room, but don't rely on it. Going to the lounge might be better.

The food was good enough for a week, each time being a big buffet and you help yourself. If your a real fussy eater you might find it difficult. I am a little picky but I managed to cope and have something different each day, so not too bad. Its a classic Spanish version of everything.

The pool area and bar is really nice to relax in, and the entertainment was obviously Spanish. If you want to go somewhere on holiday in Spain but do not like a hotel directed for Spanish people I wouldn't go here, going abroad and not expecting everything to be English, really? Gen up on a few phrases to get you by. If you want to experience real Spain, the people and the food, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: The room I had overlooking the car park wasn't great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lianneee
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have recently stayed at the Oasis Tropical for 11 nights and enjoyed it very much. I suppose I should say that we weren't there for a holiday as such, so we didn't make use of all the hotel facilities so can only comment on what we did use.

When I booked the room, very late as it happened, I did it at reception and got a very good deal considering that it is a 4 star hotel. There was another hotel next door, but the Oasis Tropical was cheaper so that’s why we booked in there.

At reception, the staff were very friendly and there is varying degrees of English spoken by the staff, some better than others. This wasn't a great problem for me as such because I speak a little Spanish. Even if you didn't though, I think you would be ok.

Speaking of Spanish, this is a very Spanish hotel. No UK tour firms go there as far as I know and although there were a few British guests, the majority were either Spanish, Portuguese or from Northern Europe. This wasn't a problem for us in the slightest. Indeed it was very refreshing!

The room we were allocated had a pool view, but a glance to the left also offered a sea view. The patio doors which opened onto the balcony were very good at shutting any noise out. When I say noise I really mean ambient sounds, as noise sounds like it is very loud and unbearable which it definitely isn't. In fact although we could see the bar/entertainment area we didn't hear anything in the evenings. So from that point of view all was good.

The room had two large double beds. They may even have been king size but either way they were very large and also very comfortable. The room was quite large and had a desk area which the TV was also on. Mainly foreign channels but BBC 1 as well which was better than Sky News International which is the usual fayre. I’m not going to complain about non English channels because like I said before, the hotel caters mainly for other Nationalities so to complain about that would be ridiculous!

The bathroom was large too with a big bath and shower, big mirror and space for all your toiletries. Toiletries were supplied. Little soaps, shampoos and shower gels were all provided and replaced every day if used. There were plenty of towels. Indeed two of them had been fashioned into a nice swan on our arrival. I thought perhaps we might see a towel elephant before we went but it wasn’t to be! All in all we were very pleased with the quality of the room.

We booked half board and the breakfast and dinner were both buffet affairs. There was plenty of choice and there was also a show cooking area with additional choices. When you sat down for dinner you received a bottle of wine and a large bottle of water. I didn’t realise it was included at first, but it was. I know that a bottle of that wine would probably cost only around a Euro a bottle, but even so, it was a nice touch and added to the quality of service we experienced. The wine was quite nice too. Not like the vinegar you get at an all inclusive! The restaurant staff were all very friendly and hospitable.

There was an entertainment programme at the hotel and there was a nice pool area with sunloungers as well as an indoor pool. I say indoor, I think it could be converted to outdoor in high summer as the cover appeared to be retractable. We didn’t use any of these services though so cannot comment on them.

The hotel also has free wifi, although in our room we did notice that it was a bit unreliable. There would appear to be several routers and it wouldn’t always connect. Whether this was because of too many people on it, or what I don’t know, but it would work in the foyer. I don’t think this was a huge problem and is something easily sorted out I think, but we worked around it so it wasn’t too bad.

All in all, our stay was very enjoyable, especially considering the price. If you do decide to go from the UK, and you’re not very cosmopolitan you might not find it completely to your taste, but for myself and my partner, for what we paid, we were delighted.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lnt999
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am always objective and realistic. I read some of the reviews and had to laugh, no longer had a plate warmer and hairdryer's being too hot is not a valid reason to not stay in that hotel. First impressions were pretty good, the reception area was beautiful and clean and the receptionist spoke english (which I now know she is the only member of staff that does). Went up to our room, and again, first impressions were good, clean tidy, plenty of towels. Free fridge which was nice as everywhere else I've been you have to pay. Went down for dinner as we arrived around 9ish, wasn't too bad, massive salad bar, has some show cooking that does hamburgers and fresh grilled fish. I am very picky and some days I was left with a plate of chips, a lot of it is aimed at Spanish people, even had small octopus the one day. Not one waitress or waiter could speak english, if I wanted anything there was a long game of charades and pointing to finally get the order. Simple questions like "how much does that cost?" Will get you a blank stare. There's been many different people on here arguing about how rude the Spanish people are. I always go in believing that everyone is lovely, this is not the case. I've had people push in front of me in queues, children pushing you while your carrying coffee then laughing, people standing and talking and blocking a hallway, no mater how many "excuse me please" you say, no movement. I had one person lie on one sun lounger on my left, and one on my partners right, shouting over us, passing lit fags round us, and trying to splash each other with water, not very polite or mature considering they looked in their forties. Rude! Back in our room, first impressions fade, sitting on the balcony and I feel a drip on my lap, look up and the whole roof is mouldy, when we ask a maintenance man, he says the upstairs water filtering system is broken and is leaking though the concrete in several places. Which is about 6 big dripping place on the roof. He says "I paint it when you go" that's it. A lot of reviews have claimed its in the middle of no where, I chose to ignore this thinking 'its by the beach in a tourist town, it cannot be in the middle of nowhere' trust me, IT IS! There is one shop across the road that sells water. Nothing else. Even taking the bus is a bit pointless because shops are few and far between, and that's when they've bothered to open. You can get off at a bus stop by a group of 3 shops, then walk passed another 3 bus stops before you come to another shop. Pretty pointless really. Every single bit of the evening entertainment is spanish. Singing in spanish, comedians in spanish, mini discos with only spanish music, none of which starts till 10:30 at night! (Bit late even for on holiday). In the end me and my partner ended up going to bed and watching ITV wales, the only english speaking channel. There are 13 channels but the rest are all spanish. This is DEFINITELY a Spanish resort, nothing about it is british, the evening meal isn't served until 8 because of spanish peoples siesta. Which for me, is way too late, I eat it at 5 at home. The rooms are too hot as air conditioning isn't on during this time of year, so I have to leave the balcony doors open to try keep some cooler air in the room. Hard to sleep with kids and adults screaming and shouting till 1 in the morning. Then come 7:30 the staff are dragging sun loungers around, mowing grass (I would never have known a lawnmower could be as loud as a revving harley davidson). We see the pool getting "cleaned" but god knows what he's actually doing, when in the pool the bottom of it feels slimy underneath your feet, my boyfriend likes to swim underwater, not after he was doing so and saw a cloud of grime that dispersed once his hand went through it. I've felt things hit my feet as I've been walking around and have been to scared to check what it is. When in the room in the morning and you look into the pool you can see the lines in the bottom layer of scum where people have been walking. The indoor pool was never cleaned from my knowledge, and was also fairly grimy, must have been a third of the size of the outdoor pool with about twenty times the amount of people in. The outdoor pool was a bit cold, but as it has a lot less people in, me and my partner still used it over the indoor pool, until halfway through the holiday when they stopped turning the pumps on. No jacuzzi bubbles, no spraying of the shower, I think they just gave up on it even though it was still being used. On our second last day we were quite late getting up so had to sit by a wall in the dining room (which means manoeuvring yourself and your food through a maze of unhelpful, unmoving people and the haphazardly placed tables) and I see something moving out the corner of my eye, and there's a cockroach crawling up the wall. In day light, which did make me wonder how many there are when it's dark. Called a waiter to remove it cause I don't really like creepy crawlies. I don't know what he did with it, but he took it into the kitchen, not the most hygienic thing to do in my opinion.

All in all, I would not go here again, it was fairly cheap, that is why I came. But I was bored as nothing is english. It is not catered for the english. The restaurant isn't even specifically for guests, and come friday night it is rammed. It is solely for spanish people, and I didn't enjoy much about the holiday at all. I've been on quite a few cheap holidays and they were better than this. Even bingo wasn't playable because the numbers were only read out in spanish. I would not come again and please save your money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MsHopey
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Really enjoyed our holiday, with our 6 year old daughter. Very Spanish enjoyed this as wanted to go abroad to get away from English. Entertainment every night. Food, so much choice fantastic! Pools clean and fun. Sunbeds good and walked to beach somedays. Went on a camel ride and visited village. Great and want to go back soon.

Room Tip: Room overlooking pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family