“Brilliant restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beachcomber Restaurant

Beachcomber Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 218 Restaurants in Mojacar
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Mojacar's Beachcomber Bar/Cafe and Restaurant is a fantastic venue for chilling out during the day and partying away until late in the evening. Located a few metres from the beach this bar boasts stunning views of Mojacar's coastline. A large terrace at the front of the bar caters for both sun worshippers and those who prefer a shaded retreat. The interior of the bar is very roomy and is fully air conditioned. The ladies and disabled persons toilet has a baby nappy changing facility.
Orpington, United Kingdom
“Brilliant restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I spend six months out of a year here and the Beachcomber is my saving grace.Propper food at propper prices.Service with a smile and views to die for. All the people there are so helpful its a great place to spend a couple of hours having lunch or dinner.Milo

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Beachcomber_John, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words and we appreciate you took the time to write about us on Tripadvisor. We are also grateful you choose to return to see us regularly and you value the fact we endeavor to deliver a dependable level of food quality, value and service. You mentioned our great views and for sure we are spoiled with such a wonderful location. I for one never get fed up with seeing marlin and swordfish jumping and dolphins playing. The odd sighting of a whale or two, sometimes a mother and baby, is the icing on the cake.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
John @ The Beachcomber Restaurant on Mojacar Playa

“Very Average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Was really looking forward to lunch at Beachcombers after the fantastic reviews it had on TA but left so so disappointed.

Service was very slow and the food very average - maybe we expected too much but was one of the worst meals we had in Mojacar. If you're looking at this place and looking for more than just deep fried grease then I'd choose the Crazy Cow or Tito's which are very close-by and considerably better.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Beachcomber_John, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Many thanks for choosing to visit us in the last week or so. I am extremely disappointed you didn’t enjoy your experience at the Beachcomber and also saddened you decided not to mention your poor experience at the time when we asked how your food was.

Your comments are not specific and offer no helpful feedback whatsoever allowing me a fighting chance to provide exact responses to you. Usually there is something within a review that allows me or my staff to recall customers, but there is nothing to help any of us remember you.

However you provide me with the opportunity to provide a response to the comment regarding your expectations. When I read your comment, you imply you used Tripadvisor to find us in the first place and presume your expectations were formed by comments from the many previous happy customers.

For others who may read my response, we do not offer fine dining or wish to. We are a beachfront restaurant offering informal dining based on quality and mostly fresh food, comfort and a friendly but professional service and value for money.

You starred us low on value which is surprising as value is what we and most other reviewers think we offer. I’ll pick out just a few examples.
A generous multi choice three course lunchtime meal for €10.50.
A quality 7 item breakfast for €5.00.
From our a la carte menu, rump steak, chips or freshly oven baked jacket potato served with whatever the customer fancies within reason ie: grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, salad or a choice of vegetables €10.00.
Add to that rump steak meal, ten Scottish whole tail scampi (Surf and Turf) €15.00
A traditional Sunday roast main course €8.00 or three courses for €11.50.
I think everyone else reading this will see we do offer great value for money. You see facts are specific.

This brings me to your comment ‘Service was very slow’. Even though we are not a fast food restaurant we do provide a fairly fast service considering most of our meals are cooked fresh to order. None of us recall any day recently (When you say you visited) when we were so busy we would have offered an unacceptable service and certainly received no complaints about this, once again your presence in the Beachcomber is not remembered by anyone.

Within your review you said. “If you're looking at this place and looking for more than just deep fried grease etc etc”. I don’t understand your comment as you will have read our menu before ordering and read my response to an earlier comment when checking out previous recent reviews. I will repeat the important part to save anyone having to look back.

I wrote “There are of course a few deep fried meals such as battered fish, deep fried mushrooms, camembert and southern fried chicken and obviously some breakfast items and even here we offer our ‘Slimming World Sin Free Breakfast’ options, which are extremely healthy.

Going back to the chips which are admittedly the choice of most of our customers we offer in the menu the option of swapping chips for either mashed, oven baked, crushed and buttered potatoes. There are other options to choose from such as salad or vegetables.

So I have added up our starters and main courses and have come up with the following facts.

56 meals which are not fried (If you choose not to have chips)

12 fried meals.

None of our desserts are fried and other than two of our vast range of sandwiches, toasties and freshly oven baked baguettes they are also not fried”.
So as you can see your inference we only offer greasy food is in your imagination.

I would also add that after reading one other review of yours you seem to have a thing about deep fat fryers and you obviously believe there is no room for them in a kitchen. Can I remind you deep frying food is a very quick way of not only cooking but preventing the absorption of too much oil. Most restaurants that don’t have a deep fat fryer will have to shallow fry any food items that need frying and that method will cause the food to absorb a lot more oil.
If we didn’t have deep fat fryers the Beachcomber wouldn’t be able to cook the hundreds of portions every week of our very popular and traditional fish and chips. (Please note unlike most other restaurants in Mojacar our chips are freshly cut daily from real potatoes and are not pre-frozen.)

Just one more thing on deep fat fryers, until quite recently Europe's (And Spain’s) top restaurant, ‘El Bulli’ used deep fat fryers and incidentally something that may surprise many people at least one of their meals was cooked in a microwave, ‘Sacrebleu’ I hear many cry. I will make an educated guess and say most Michelin starred restaurants, just like the ‘Beachcomber’, use deep fat fryers for cooking some items of food.

Our menus are available to view without commitment outside the restaurant and on our website to help potential customers determine if they want to try us out rather than waste time or a journey only to find we don’t offer what they are looking for.

I do hope if you leave reviews in the future you will give specific feedback as it will help businesses improve their service to future customers because your review doesn’t offer us that opportunity and it’s like we never even met you.

Bedfordshire
“Great breakfast and service with a smile!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We dropped in to the beachcomber after a day on the beach. The staff are friendly and offer great service with a bit of banter and a smile, which i have to say was refreshing. The kids were after a taste of home as tapas was not for them!! While they tucked into their chicken nuggets we had a good old British breakfast. I have to say it was the best i have had ever! and the wife agrees! There is a varied menu and the setting is lovely rite on the beach.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Beachcomber_John, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We all greatly appreciate your visit to the Beachcomber and for choosing to leave your comments on Tripadvisor.

I am really pleased you sampled at least two aspects of our menu and that we were able to meet your needs in a number of areas. We offer a reasonably large menu for children and though we offer the usual's and probably most sought after, burgers and chicken nuggets, we also present children's portions of fish and chips and grilled chicken dinners to mention just two.

I am very chuffed to read one of our all day breakfasts was the best you had ever eaten, wow what a compliment and thanks to you and to your wife for agreeing.

I'm also pleased you found our staff to be friendly whilst receiving good service, they like me will be pleased to read your review which all our staff are eager to do.

We are fortunate to benefit from a great view from both inside our restaurant and on our terrace and many customers simply enjoy a drink or coffee and admire the view sometimes. Talking of coffee I'm afraid we don't offer it the Spanish way, ours is served hot!

I do hope you will come to see us if you return to the area and thank you once again for reviewing us, John @ The Beachcomber Restaurant on Mojacar Playa.
“Yummy food...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Enjoyed a relaxed afternoon with yummy food & refreshing drinks by the sea! Friendly staff & great service. Definitely be visiting again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Beachcomber_John, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Many thanks for sharing your kind feedback and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed a relaxed afternoon at the Beachcomber.

I am pleased to learn about your experience and how much you like our food, drinks and service. Our staff will be pleased to know you appreciate them as they all enjoy their jobs and their friendliness is genuine.

It will be my pleasure to share your review with them and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Dulas, United Kingdom
“friendly restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

just been to the Beachcomber(as customers call it) and had an excellent bavlue for money meal. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. John, the guvnor,will always be of help if you need any local info.You can sit and watch the sea breaking on the Blue Flag beach and have a beer, wine or a nice coffee.Wi-fi is available free for customers.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Beachcomber_John, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing us on Tripadvisor and I am so pleased we managed to tick most of your boxes. The lower mark in respect of 'atmosphere' raises an interesting point.
I have consulted many other restaurateurs as to what constitutes 'great atmosphere', and none necessarily agree outright with any particular definition, each with views and opinions of their own.
For some it is the buzz of a place and to some extent the surroundings and comfort. Others believe it’s the decoration, the people, or music and/or a combination of many things.

As a beach side bar/restaurant our premises wouldn't look right with a load of 'antique style' hangings on the walls and non-matching furniture.
We try to provide comfortable seating and no 'beer company promotional plastic chairs', with an undeniable fantastic view of the sea, close enough you can throw a pebble into it from the door of the Beachcomber.

Naturally atmosphere changes in every establishment as the venue becomes busier or less busy and we have very enjoyable and well supported 'entertainment nights'.

I do hope you choose to return and we are able to fulfill all your needs. Thank you for choosing to dine with us as I understand our customers have a great number of choices where to spend their hard earned cash.