“First and last place we visit”

Beachcomber Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 221 Restaurants in Mojacar
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Description: Mojacar's Beachcomber Bar/Cafe and Restaurant is a fantastic venue for chilling out during the day and partying away until late in the evening. Located a few metres from the beach this bar boasts stunning views of Mojacar's coastline. A large terrace at the front of the bar caters for both sun worshippers and those who prefer a shaded retreat. The interior of the bar is very roomy and is fully air conditioned. The ladies and disabled persons toilet has a baby nappy changing facility.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

as a family when on vacation to Mojacar. We try other types of restauarants there but non ever come up to the value and standard of food served to us by the Beachcomber. It is home cooking at its very best, not posh or small portions and the three course meal deal for ten euros is a job to finish and only possible because the food is so good non of us want to leave any.

Beachcomber_John, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a nice review. We really enjoyed seeing you all and it was a pleasure to serve you and your family. We especially liked spoiling your children with their specialised meals and having fun with them. They are a delight and a credit to you both. We look forward to welcoming you again when you return to Mojacar.

Best wishes from John and all the team @ The Beachcomber Restaurant on Mojacar Playa.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Like so many others we found Beachcombers to be excellent for everything they offer, quality food, location, service, value and the owners should be very proud of their staff who do an absolutely excellent job. We ate there quite a few times as there were very few places in Mojacar open and our experiences were just so good. Top Class eatery.

Thank you very much for your review of the Beachcomber, it's particularly pleasing to receive an evaluation such as yours and to know our efforts to provide good food and service are represented by all our staff. Please be assured I will thank all the team. Thank you again and I hope we will have other opportunities to serve you in the future.

John @ The Beachcomber Restaurant on Mojacar Playa.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Without doubt the most honest food in Mojacar, the menu tells you what you’ll receive and that’s what arrives at your table. Also of importance the prices are truly justifiable, service is friendly but well qualified and the location cannot be beaten. George.

2  Thank George M
Beachcomber_John, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Feedback such as yours is extremely important to us and I know the entire team will be happy to read your comments. Thank you for your kind review, we are pleased you enjoy your experiences with us and I'm happy we continue to tick the boxes for you. We certainly are blessed with our location.
We will look forward to your next visit, John @ The Beachcomber Restaurant on Mojacar Playa.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I'm constantly amazed at visitors to/reviewers of Beachcomber's Restaurant criticising the establishment because it is ranked No. 1 on Trip Advisor, and they expect something 'grander'.

Beachcomber never professes to be 'fine dining', but because they are ranked as the top restaurant then people have expectations of grandeur. Take one look at the place and you can see it offers primarily English food for a predominantly English and expat community. But more so it delivers food that the local market place and expats tourists want...the owner knows his market and delivers time and time again.....they do it exceptionally well, which is why people go away happy and continue to keep it at number one. In this economy, you will not find 'fine dining' in this resort.

As for the food, it is good traditional English (primarily) fare at very reasonable prices. The menu is exhaustive and caters for everyone... (If you have a particular intolerance tell the owner and he will devise something for you). This establishment aims to please its many customers and sends them away happy time and time again. The service, even during really busy periods is always excellent and the staff very welcoming and friendly. Some really good new wines have also recently been introduced.

If you want good English fare in Mojacar, then I highly recommend this restaurant and especially their fish and chips for which they are famous!

3  Thank S3H0
Beachcomber_John, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your lovely review, as you know we have been running our beach front restaurant on Mojacar Playa for over 8 years now. The reason we have been able to keep going as long as we have is because of customers like you.

You mentioned our new wines which I think are very exciting, myself, friends and customers spent many hours tasting a vast number!!! to come up with our final choice.Priced from €7.50 a bottle for our excellent house wines to €15.00 for our top shelf wines such as a 2008 Rioja.

Thank you also for your support in your review, every now and again we get customers who obviously don't want to eat with us and why they do I'll never understand. They seem to have made their minds up before they come in. Being number 1 on Tripadvisor may be the reason and the old adage 'Knocking off the pedestal' comes to mind.

I welcome constructive criticism and have learned much from it from customers on and off Tripadvisor but will not take unfair criticism laying down.

As always I look forward to your next visit, all the best for now, John @ The Beachcomber Restaurant on Mojacar Playa.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Mojacar has a large British population, both residents and visitors but we we are surprised that the restaurant chosen above all the other dozens lining the sea front would be one specializing in British food.
We've always thought that the best thing about travel is sampling the cuisine of the area. I guess I'd recommend the Beachcomber if someone is homesick but we will seek out the local specialties.

1  Thank lmdja
Beachcomber_John, Owner at Beachcomber Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for reviewing us and I’m very pleased you found our food, value and service to be good. I must admit to being disappointed by the extra star you took off your overall experience and presume it was because of your comments like.

“We are Americans who like British food. The Beachcomber does pub food well in a beach front setting and we enjoyed it as such, but, we are in Spain!”

I am amazed that Americans from the country with the most diverse dining culture in the world would be surprised that a British owned and run restaurant in Spain was doing well in a town full of British ex pats and their visitors. (The busiest restaurant in Mojacar is Chinese!)

Also I wonder if I was to holiday in America would I be expected to eat only at McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and the like?

My other thoughts on where one should and shouldn't dine while abroad comes from one of your own reviews dated 25th May 2012 about a ‘Mediterranean’ restaurant in Ipswich, England that you regularly go to and have given 5* top marks to, helping to place it the number 2 restaurant in Ipswich. I hope you won’t mind me again quoting your own words.

“We've recommended ****** for years and continue to regard it as one of the best in Ipswich”.

Why would it be ok for Americans or Brits to dine in and enjoy meals at a Mediterranean restaurant in England and for Brits in Spain not to do similar here, I hope you see where I’m coming from.

Lastly I hope you find the specialist Spanish restaurants in Mojacar you are looking for (There are a few) but I’m afraid the majority of Spanish restaurants here are offering pizzas, chips and English breakfasts, obviously what most people want! If you are still here in Mojacar I will be more than happy to direct you to some that specialise in Spanish food.

I hope you will still consider recommending us after my honest response.

Best wishes from John@ The Beachcomber Restaurant on Mojacar Playa.