“Best in the area just stay out of the bar!”

Pushkarskaya Sloboda Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Suzdal
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Upon planning an overnight trip to the Suzdal/ Vladimir area I was apprehensive about staying overnight as most of the hotels had really TERRIBLE reviews. We were unable to make an online booking at any of the area hotels so we headed out from Moscow intending to take our chances. As a precaution we packed our own towels, sheets and pillows "just in case" we ended up with a less than sanitary room. We arrived in Suzdal around 1pm and the first hotel I recognized was the Pushkarskaya. I had written the names of all of the "not totally awful" hotels on a list in order of their reviews. This was also the only 4 star hotel in the vicinity so I figured how bad could it be. I told my boyfriend to do what ever it took to get a room.

Upon inquiry we found they had a two types of rooms available: a European style room in the main building or a traditional Russian style Izba log cabin room. Since both were the same price, $115 USD or $3750 RUB we opted for the log cabin. Secure parking was available across the street for 100 RUB. A free Banya (Sauna) or spa treatement was included as was free water from the mini bar.

Since we could not check in for about an hour, we decided to have lunch at the hotel cafe. It was a rustic log cabin style enclosed patio with a nice view and cool breezes. The food was excellent, service was good and the price was VERY reasonable.
Our room turned out to be quite lovely with plenty of room and a luxurious, clean modern bathroom. I was absolutely speechless. No need for the towels and sheets.

After walking around town trying to find a good place to eat dinner, we decided to try out another restaurant at the hotel since lunch was good and inexpensive. We opted for a traditional Russian style restaurant set in a log cabin adjacent to the row of log cabin rooms. We we not disappointed. Not only was the service good, the food was excellent and reasonably priced.

After walking the grounds and enjoying an after dinner drink on our patio, we decided to seek out the hotel night club. So far everything at the hotel had surpassed our expectations. This is pretty much where it stopped. I was already aware that many hotel bars in Russia are really nothing more than strip clubs so this part didn't shock me. My boyfriend however, a native of Moscow had never been to one so I thought it would be fun for him. Having worked in male dominated industries most of my adult life, I've been to more than my share of these types of clubs. My assessment óf the Fondue Bar is this: fairly unattractive strippers, bad music, sleezy atmosphere and astronomical prices. The worst part was that the drinks or rather the two tablespoons of liquid they attempted to pass as a drink, were as weak as limp noodle. The prices are on the menu but I guess most people do not read the disclaimer at the bottom stating that the prices are fixed as of the 1st of the year but are subject to change at any moment. Please use this menu as an advertisement of offerings and not a price guide. I thought that should sort of be a red flag but he was having fun. My "bad" for not telling him that you NEVER allow a stripper to order her own drink. Our bill for 7 drinks, our 6 which added up to about one normal drink, and the sleeze bag, sorry I mean stripper's drink cost over $100. Her drink alone was $30 bucks and I think she had two sips of it before the waitress took it away. It was probably water anyway. Moral of the story is never take a Russian man to a strip club in a small Russian town unless you hold on to his money AND his cigarette; we had a little burn incident with one of the girls and no it was not her highly flammable outfit, unfortunately.
Overall our experience at the hotel was positive, His was great except for the Fondue bar. I would have to say that all of mine was good as the entertainment provided to me by the fiasco at the Fondue Bar was well worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jmel21

Reviewed April 5, 2009

We stayed in the log chain and the room is quite large. However the service is quite bad and they even charge you for a single map! Avoid the restaurant that in the hotel area, it is so expensive and tasted awful!

One good thing is their breakfast is fantastic, with unlimited supply of pancake! (I am a pancake lover) !

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bari_ttc
Reviewed September 16, 2008

We spent a night in this hotel in September 2008, paying Rubles 2700 for a standard double room in the main building. We called them directly and they did not require credit card details for the reservation.

The hotel exceeded our expectations mainly in the area of service (not a big feature in Russian hotels as I'm sure most of you know, and certainly not in mid-range accomodation). The front desk staff always has at least one English-speaker and this person lent us umbrellas, provided different bedding, looked up timetables, and generally gave us efficient replies to all our questions and requests.
The room was sufficiently comfortable and spacious, the bathroom had modern fixtures and there are several restaurants on-site if you want to eat in, although we chose to have dinner at the Kremlin Refectory, on the recommendation of a Russian friend.
The hotel is about 10-15 mins walk from the small Kremlin complex and a about 30-40 mins to the other end of town if you want to visit the St Euthymius monastery. To get to the bus station, you need to take a taxi (cost 50 roubles).
The only Internet access is at one terminal in the lobby, for which you buy a card.

• Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank BooksHampshire_UK
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We spent 3 nights at the Pushkarskaya Sloboda Hotel in May 2008. We found it to be a very clean, comfortable, well appointed hotel which we could recommend to anyone. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room overlooked the main onion domed church in the small Suzdal Kremlin which is a very short walk from the hotel. We ate in the restaurants and found the food to be very nice and well priced. It was good to go out into the Russian countryside to experience life outside the big cities. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to go back one day!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bandlh
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I stayed at Pushkarskaya Sloboda last year for several days. Without any exxageration I can say it is a fantastic place. Most rooms are stylized as traditional Russian izba (country house). A very strange and unexpected mixture of the traditional Russian style with its intrinsic icons and hand-made towels with all aspects of comfort the modern civilization can offer. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The meals were great. Evening entertainment was spectacular enough, students of the local college were performing traditional Russian and Gipsy songs which impressed us very much...Please, do not be furious if the local roosters wake you at 5am, it is a necessary attribute of the place. The Kremlin and Bogoliubovo with its Pokrova-on-Nerl are the places one must see. I have visited many places of the worlds but I will never forget Pushkarskaya Sloboda and Suzdal, this is a cradle of ancient Russian civilization. If you like to see the genuine Russia this is a perfect place.

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank SergeiV
Reviewed April 28, 2008

For a start if you have got a little time to spare, visit Suzdal. Its a gem. Fascinating. And certainly stay at this hotel. It has a complex of buildings. Some are delicious 'gingerbread' log cabins and there are rooms in the well renovated buildings as well. My room overlooked the river. My view was of more than a dozen onion domes.The point is, you are getting a four star experience for £80 ($160) a night: a spa, 3 little restaurants, friendly English speaking staff, spotless bathroom and its just outside the rampart of the Suzdal 'kremlin' about 5 mins walk away. There is so much to see in Suzdal. Don't miss the Archbishop's palace museum (the one at the back) which has one of the finest exhibitions of 15C Icons I have seen. Getting there from Moscow was a bit of an adventure. I took the bus £5 from Tselkovskaya. It was about 4 hours, only they changed drivers and my request to warn me as we approached Suzdal was not passed on. So he didn't stop (the stop is on the mainroad about 2 miles out of town). Anyway, I hopped off at a roadside cafe and the lady owner (Marina!) booked me a cab. My advice is take one of the smart clean private coaches from Kursk Station, rather than the official Tselkovskaya bus. If you have time visit Bogoliubovo (near Vladimir) and walk over the railway to the Church of the Intercession, in the meadows by the Nerl river. Really charming leafy spot. You can buy fresh honey there for a few pence.

Stayed: April 2008
4  Thank BradBourne07
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Having the previous reviews on this hotel, we were surprised by how improved the hotel has become. First of all, to clear up some mixed information, the hotel is 4 stars. It has has three different restaurants (traditional russian in a log house cabin, a buffet (where you also have breakfast, and a cellar restaurant) but unfortunately the menus of the two a la carte restaurants are quite similar. However, all our meals in these two restaurants were generally excellent although the kitchen is slow and you may need to wait up to an hour for your main course. The two restaurants do not have a children's menu but they are very willing to split dishes in two for younger kids and they even present these dishes in a wonderful way. The hotel has a full spa (sauna, steam room, turkish bath) and a very small swimming pool that is designed more for plunging into after coming from the sauna or stream rooms. However, for our young kids (4 and 5 years) it was adequate and very warm!! Please note that only from 4-6 pm is it free to use (at least during the holidays). Afterwards, it gets booked up by groups for private functions. Most of the staff do not speak English. The menus are in English and Russian so this helps. However, the staff in reception speak English and you can also call them to help out or to make any bookings. We booked a horse sleigh tour for an hour and were pleasantly surprised to see that the sleigh was there on time. The rooms are great (satellite television with BBC and DW-English) and the bathrooms are big and well-stocked. The beds, however, were too soft for our liking and we ended up with sore necks. The whole setting of the hotel is beautiful with two types of accommodation - log cabins which can hold up to two families each and hotel rooms spread over several stone buildings all designed in a classical style. All the buildings are grouped around a central garden courtyard with an ampitheatre that is used in the summer. You can walk everywhere from the hotel by foot. We certainly enjoyed ourselves and are already making plans to go back again in the summer time.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family