“Interesting and good port”
Review of Ferreira Cellars

Ferreira Cellars
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built by a family of winemakers from the Douro, in 1751, Ferreira possessed a rich tradition and a prominent role in the history of Porto Wine. Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira contributed significantly to the consolidation of the brand. A legendary woman with a unique personality, who became a myth and a symbol of strength, facing the adversities of nineteenth-century Douro. Ferreira Cellars invite you to discover a brand over 250 years old, a symbol of the highest quality that encapsulates Portugal's heart and soul.
Muncie, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Interesting and good port”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This may be a bit touristy, but they provide a great deal of good information about the port industry. You do have to make a reservation to attend a tour. We made ours the morning of and had no problems. There is a "supreme" tasting option that gives you some more select ports to try. We didn't know about this, so missed out. I would ask in the future and do that. The cellars are beautiful and the history grand. The waiting area is a mini-museum.

Visited June 2013

31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Disapointment”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

It's a big factory! Nothing personal or special. Yes, the guide speaks well and is knowledgeable, yes the port wines taste ok. But the atmosphere is very blah. Nobody to explain anything when we tasted the port wines at the end. No spark! Go to Churchill's instead, this was worth our time and money!!

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Used to be good”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Took this tour a couple of years ago, and it was great. Took it again this last trip, and it was significantly shorter and less informative. Not sure if they are doing construction, but we certainly did not see all the areas we had seen previously. Our tour guide also seemed less knowledgeable or just didn't want to share much information. Sounded like she was reciting from a memorized script. Tasting was okay but rushed - they close completely for lunch.

Visited December 2012
Odense, Denmark
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Good port at a reasonable price”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I visited this place last on our port tasting. I didn't find it as good an atmosphere as some of the other port houses, however the port was good and it was nice to be able to select which particular ports you wanted to taste. Also, you can get a great bottle for only 8 Euro to take home....great value!

I can't comment on the tour as we didn't do it.

Visited December 2012
Pune
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Cleared my Fundas about Port Wine”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

First time in Porto - had 8 hours to look around and wine tasting was on top of the list. I had plans to visit Sandeman which seems to be the most popular, However at 1640 hrs , I missed the last English tour so the good man suggested Ferreira - abt 3 blocks down which had its last one at 1700 hrs. Most of the Wineries are located along the river.
There are various options available for the tour - at 5 € you get to taste 2 classic Ports i.e the red and the white. And it goes up to 10 € and then they that the top fare of 16€ for 5 wines taste 2 classics and 1 Vintage( 2006) , 1 Downy, 1 Ruby. Since it was my first trip and I didnt want to miss out on anything - so decided for the top fare.
The tour guide wassmart lady wearing a dark dress with a cloak like the count dracula who ushered us inside the dimly lit and damp corridors of the winery which had lined up with huge barrels. The place was quiet spooky - kinda reminded me of the Ghost tour I had done in Scotland.
She enlightened me about the process - Port is created by adding Brandy after the 3rd year. Thats why it stops fermenting and thus its characteristic sweet taste. Then it is allowed to mature in these huge wooden drums - the more aeration gives more sweetness ( ruby Port ) and and the smaller drums get less air and thus is formed Tawny which is slightly Dry ( terminology for being less sweet ). The tour took us through meandering tunnel like paths to a a Wine Vault - No jokes it was a Vault cause all the Vintages were kept there ...and oldest Vintage for sale was from 1863 costing a whooping 1500€.
The guide was talking abt the founder Dona Antonia and her escapades more than about the port. So finally the tym to taste the wine had come and we sat on table where the wines had already placed on the tables neatly.
Thank god I did not take the 5 € tour those two wines were definitely not to my taste. Neither did I like the top 2 . Of course the Vintage was quiet smooth but the best of the lot was Dona Antonia Reserva ( the max selling Port of Ferreira ) which I did pick up at a cost of 16 € soon to realize that the same was available for 12 € outside in the local wine shops/ bars :-(
The 2006 Vintage was available for 50 € and Glass of wines could be bought a the the bar.
To sum it all up - it was quiet a pleasant and memorable experience. Advice to you folks - please check the prices outside before buying inside the Winery. The prices are hign since they levy VAt and other taxes !! Happy Tasting !! Cheers !

Visited January 2013