“Everything is disappointing except the views”
Review of D. Tonho

D. Tonho
Reserve with
D. Tonho is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Portuguese, European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
UK
“Everything is disappointing except the views”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We took a group of 14 here in June. Not an ENORMOUS group, but clearly too much for D.Tonho to cope with. If it hadn't been for the views - which are spectacular - I think more people would have been more vociferous about how poor this was.

Having booked ahead we were told they could only offer a set menu - take it or leave it. My colleague negotiated a choice of two main dishes so we kept it really simple for them. We even confirmed the numbers for each dish the day before. We were the first customers of the evening -it really shouldn't have been a challenge to feed us all, given that they knew what everyone wanted.

We were told we'd get 'mixed starters' but the mix was very poor - bread, small pieces of cut cheese and some strange fried cod-fish in batter which was served too warm to be cold, too cold to be warm. I assumed these were pre-starter 'nibbles' and tried to save myself for what was to follow but these WERE the starter. Very poor quality, very little effort for the kitchen.

The people who had veal were on the whole happier than those of us who had the really poor 'monkfish and prawn arroz(rice)' which was sloppy, flavourless and disappointing. I'm not chef but I can do a lot better at home without resorting to a cookery book.

The waiter was really pushy about the puddings. He had lots of chocolate mousse and not so much of the alternatives (a crème brulee or fresh pineapple). He got quite stroppy that nobody wanted his chocolate mousse. We were the first guests of the evening - he simply could NOT have run out of puddings so early. The choc mousse was actually excellent but the crème brulee was overly burnt and most people left at least half of theirs.

My colleague paid 540 euros for the 14 - nearly forty euros a head - for food that tasted like it came from a cafeteria. A local colleagues declared "They treated us worse than tourists". Go for a coffee or a glass of wine and enjoy the view but don't expect fine dining or courteous service. We got neither.

Also the toilet (which I didn't try) was apparently like something on a train and had no lock on the door.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Koshkha

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Overpriced, microwave food”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were visiting the cellars in Gaia and wanted something for lunch, saw a sign outside this glass box (which turned out is just a trailer) saying they have gained a Michelin star which got our attention. The sign mentioned the dish of the day being "Duck Rice" for 9€. This sounded like a normal price for the small portions we usually shared in other restaurants, so we thought why not.

Unfortunately, even though the quantity of rice in the platter they brought us was the same as the "half" portions elsewhere, this was considered to be for two people, so the final price was 18€ for the dish.

One would think this is an ok price to pay for a Michelin awarded restaurant with an amazing view, but the food wasn't anywhere near worth it. The rice in the platter had clearly just been reheated in a microwave; the thin crust of cheese on top was so dry it looked and tasted terrible. The duck was almost non-existent, tiny pieces of meat in such small amount that you could barely taste it.

The only positive thing I could say was about the waiter. Unnecessary show of bringing the food on one platter and slowly transferring it to our dishes, but at least he was good at it.

All in all, for microwave food in a trailer, definitely not worth it. I wouldn't go again.

• Visited January 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
“It is a ... Restaurante”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Good place good food but... Am i going there again? I really do not think so
Nothing went wrong but... I was not surprised
May be the expectativa was too high

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Marvellous view, service and good food”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We ate here on our first night in Porto. The view from Gaia across the Doura was lovely. There were no outside tables left so we ate inside the glass building, 3 days later we ate outside so our review is of both visits. The fish is nicely cooked and the rabbit starter lovely, cold with a lovely dressing. John had the Portuguese Cod speciality on the second visit which he enjoyed. I had the sea bass. We asked for help with a local red wine and off the menu a Post Scriptum 2007 was suggested at 24 Euros - it was really lovely and we had a 2nd bottle set aside for our 2nd visit as there were only 2 left. On the first visit I had the chocolate cake which was fantastic with a rich topping on a lovely base. I only just resisted having it again! John had a port each time and we had bottled water. Service was really good. The waiters were friendly and helpful. Happy to explain how each dish will come. Filleting the fish at the table. We would certainly go back in any future visit to Porto/Gaia. Cost was 77 Euros first time and 86 Euros second time.

• Visited September 2012
Porto, Portugal
“There are other options better that this one.”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The location is excellent. However, the food is served a little bit cold and with too much fat. The service is poor and the price is a little bit high. There are many options in this area that you can choose. I can't recommend it because I live near this restaurant and I don't think to return there.

Visited July 2012