The Yeatman is a hotel that still "smells new". It is located high on the hill above Villa Nova de Gaia offering a panoramic view over the River Douro and old Porto from the rooms and public areas.
The rooms were excellent, very clean and spacious. We had a private balcony/patio area with two sunloungers and a table and chairs. A good place to read a book and drink in the view.
The spa area was massive with a huge range of treatments, and was largely unoccupied while we were in there. It was like having your own indoor pool - with (again) those fantastic views out the full height windows.
The service in the bar area was attentive and the food there was good, pricey for the area but not for a luxury hotel. The restaurant offered fantastic food, with Michelin flourishes. Again, it was steeply priced for the area, but not for a top-range hotel.
The Taylors wine lodge (same owners) is just across the way and offered a fantastic lunch with, of course, great wines. We also toured a number of the other lodges. I hadn't heard of Churchills before but it was run by an extremely friendly woman and the tasting there was great.
We ate out on both sides of the river. I can't say the food was anything to write home about in either location, but the price was (of course) a fraction of that up at the hotel. The guidebooks to the area seem unnecessarily sniffy about the Villa Nova de Gaia side while talking up the Porto riverfront. This seems a bit odd, they were both much of a much, with good views. The town was quiet when were there, but I think it was the run up to a major festival, so maybe people were conserving their energy!
I'd definitely go back to The Yeatman. A great hotel in a stunning location in a European city that's easy to get to from London for a weekend break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Yeatman is a luxury wine Hotel and Spa in Porto, Portugal, set amidst the Port wine lodges in the beautiful historic district of Vila Nova de Gaia. The Yeatman nestles on a hill, with panoramic views overlooking Porto and the River Douro. The Yeatman's 82 spacious bedrooms (4 Master Suites, 8 Suites and 70 bedrooms) all face the view of Porto and the river offering a high level of comfort and a private, spacious terrace. The Michelin star restaurant provides a creative fine dining experience where local ingredients are privileged and presented with contemporary flair. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Yeatman reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Yeatman Hotel Vila Nova De Gaia
- The Yeatman Portugal/Vila Nova De Gaia