The hotel was clearly one of the grande dames of the past but, unlikely many other hotels that have held onto such tony status, it feels a bit like time has passed the Curia Palace by. I don't consider this a bad thing. Staying here, you really get a feel for what it would have been like back in the 1930s. There are grand pianos in random hallways, their ivory a bit faded; a proper old-fashioned telephone switch board on the ground floor; a wonderful dining area / ballroom, complete with a mezzanine gallery; and belle epoque lanterns and fixtures almost everywhere. Wander some of the back halls or go and you'll find a bit of the paint peeling and other signs of age, but I'd argue a modern refurbishment would steal a bit of its soul. It feels like the sort of place with hidden secrets and miles of corridors to explore.
I would not call the hotel luxurious, but it is thoroughly comfortable. The rooms have modern touches, combined with clearly original elements (our wardrobe / bureau is definitely an antique). The pool was apparently the first olympic-sized pool in the country and was a perfect compliment for the summer heat wave. The grounds are fairly small, but charming. Service was a friendly, but a bit spotty (long delays and short memories in the pool cafe, for example).
All in all, I'd recommend it for someone who wants a taste of the past, a bit of charm, a comfortable stay. If you're looking to be pampered as you might at the Ritz, you'll likely be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amid the vineyards of the demarcated Bairrada region and the Curia Health Spa outside Coimbra is the Curia Palace, Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort. A beautiful property dressed up in art deco style, exquisite antiques, high ceilings, spacious rooms that were now improved with the comfort of the furniture of the actual days, but always preserving the rich style of the Golden Years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your Curia Palace Hotel Spa & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Curia Palace, Hotel Spa & Golf Curia
- Curia Palace, Hotel Spa And Golf Resort