“SpringHill Suites - nice room and location, but cleaning service need improvement.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Norfolk Old Dominion University

SpringHill Suites Norfolk Old Dominion University
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Kailua, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I stayed at the SpringHill Suites at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA for 5 nights on business. I found the location to be convenient to the Naval base (15 mins) and the waterfront (20 mins) where you'll find the Nauticus Maritime Museum with an IMAX theater, the USS Wisconsin battleship, and the beginning of the Norfolk Walking Tour. [On a side note, I took the walking tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. My tour guide, Zack, was very knowledgeable about the history of Norfolk and gave a very enjoyable tour. I highly recommend it. www.norfolkwalkabouts.com]
My room was nice. It had a small living room area with desk, a comfortable king-size bed, flat screen TV, dresser, and shower area with separate sink area. I used the free WiFi every evening and had no problems with it. I also used the very small exercise room a couple times, which consisted of a treadmill, elliptical runner, stationary bike, towel cabinet, water cooler, and wall-mounted TV. However, I must say the water cooler wasn't filled either time I used the room in the evening.
The free buffet breakfast was O.K. You can make a sausage and egg English muffin with pre-fab eggs, as well as oatmeal, cold cereals, assorted pastries, bananas, and nectarines. What I did really like was the free coffee and tea station they maintained throughout the day.
I also ate at their restaurant, Monarch Sports Grille, a couple times with my co-workers. The service was friendly and the Ty Cobb Salad I ordered both times was very tasty. My co-workers ordered the fish and chips one time. One of them liked it, the other one didn't care for it. Another time, a co-worker ordered a Panini sandwich and thought the bread was a little tough. One of my co-workers and I also had fun playing their Wednesday Night Trivia game.
Finally, the customer service was very good at the reception desk and in the restaurant. That's why I found it so out-of-place that the cleaning service was not. I left my room at 6:30 AM every morning. On the first day, my room was still not cleaned at 4:30 PM. When I called and asked if rooms were still being cleaning, they stated that they usually cleaned until 4:00 PM. When I told them my room was still not serviced, two cleaning people came to my room within 10 mins. and provided me with clean towels and made my bed. I later found out that one of my co-worker's rooms had not been cleaned that day either. Then, on my last day, I came back to the room in the early afternoon. Again, although I had been gone since 6:30 AM, my room had still not been serviced and I did not even see a cleaning cart in my hallway. I rather gave up at that point since I was leaving the next day anyway and put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. I'm not sure I needed to put the sign out because I never did see a cleaning cart in my direct hallway any time that afternoon.
So, with the exception of the cleaning service, I liked the hotel well enough and would stay there again if I came back to Norfolk. I just hope they figure out a better system or schedule for servicing their rooms. With better cleaning service, I would have given the hotel a "4" for its hotel category.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank KailuaGal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Vienna, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

The biggest plus is its proximity within the ODU University Village within ODU proper and next to the Ted Constant Convocation Center. The hotel is only two years old. So, everything seems new including the 32" LCD TV. The room rate can be a bit pricey for what you get due to location and whether school is in session. The free breakfast was typical with enough hot and cold food to get you going in the morning. The rooms, bathroom, and lobby breakfast area seemed smaller than the typical SpringHill Suites I have stayed in the past. The lighting in the tiny kitchen area was inadequate with only one recessed light. The light just inside the door had a non-functional bulb. I travel often on business, and my back ached in the morning though the bed was typical hotel firm, maybe a little too much. Front desk staff was competently professional, but not very welcoming. Parking for $5.25 a day in the neighboring university garage is okay. The Ghent district's nice selection of restaurants are an easy 10 minute drive. Overall, since I have a daughter just starting at ODU, this is a good, not great, hotel. If you do not have a reason to be at ODU, but need to be in Norfolk, try downtown Norfolk or Virginia Beach for better hotels.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

This is a great place to stay in Norfolk right across the street from ODU. The rooms were all comfortable and clean. The hotel staff was great and very friendly. The complementary hot breakfast was wonderful and the coffee was always on 24 hours a day. The semi-attached restaurant and lounge is a sports bar and grill with many televisions tuned to every sport being telecast. I would definitely recommend this hotel for pleasure or business when in the Norfolk area.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

The SpringHill Suites by Marriott ODU was a great hotel that is located to all you need! The hotel staff was very helpful, and pleasent when needing assistance. We were visiting for an ODU Football Game and the field was located walking distance across the street. There is a $5.00 fee for parking, however, once you park you can walk wherever you need. On normal occassions hotel parking is much more expensive and you can't walk to everywhere you need to go. The breakfast was great- it helps the breakfast was included into the rate, the parking charges seem not to matter. You can pay much more than $5.00 for a good breakfast! The hotel rooms are fresh, clean, spacious, and I know for a fact that we would highly recommend the hotel and return for a future basketball game, 2010 football game, or upcoming Ted Constant Center event.
We will return to this hotel very soon, thanks to the staff, and GOO MONARCHS!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night after a day at Virginia Beach. It's a fairly new hotel in great condition with clean rooms and facilities. The complementary breakfast was a nice touch.

My biggest complaint was the noise from the hallway. I was repeatedly woken up throughout the night from people coming in late, talking loud in the hallway, and the doors banging behind them. This is probably more an issue Friday and Saturday nights. Perhaps it was just bad luck, but I think this could have been less of an issue if the door was more of a distance from the bed (most standard hotel rooms have the bathroom and a mini hallway between the bedroom and hallway). Also, perhaps they could do something to make the doors not slam by default.

Having to pay $5 for parking is a bit annoying, but we got around it by street parking (free on Sundays and holidays).

I also found the bed sheets/linens too thin for my taste.

We enjoyed the staff's dinner recommendation of Fillini's (<5 min. drive away).

Overall, the hotel had some things going for it, but a not-so-great night sleep left me rather disappointed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I read the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and I must say they were right! My husband bought me concert tickets at the Virginia Beach Ampitheater and all the lodging in VA Beach was either sold out or overpriced for that particular night. I discovered that this hotel was only 30 minutes away and booked immediately. (Hampton Roads area is so crowded that traffic could easily lengthen the drive time. It is my understanding we were fortunate it was only a 30 min trip.) Used our GPS to navigate to this hotel and it took us through some very urban looking areas. I started getting nervous that I had made a mistake booking here but when we got to the hotel I realized I was wrong. It sits basically on the campus of Old Dominion. Rooms are spacious - separate living area. Bathroom sink is separate from toilet/shower, which I like. Beds are so comfortable we almost slept through breakfast. Breakfast was good - 2 wafflemakers helped keep the crowd moving at a reasonable pace. There was a huge church group staying there so breakfast area was very crowded but food was replinished frequently. There is a parking fee and you must utilize the garage directly across from the entryway. Hotel guests can only park on levels 1 & 5 or risk being ticketed/towed. Coming in late from the concert we had to pass levels 2-4 (which were basically empty) and join the other 2-3 cars on deck 5. I did not feel good about leaving my car there but there were no other options. There is an elevator back to level 1. I would not have gotten on the elevator if I had been by myself but with my husband I was not worried. When we got back to the car the next morning everything was fine. I would suggest a visit to the nearby Norfolk Naval Station - world's largest naval base. It is approx. a 5-10 minute drive down Hampton Rd. Tours depart every 30 min, tix are $10/pp-cash only. Service members lead tours and answer questions. Get there a few min early to clear security, be prepared to show id.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DIXIELANDTRAVELER
Clifton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We enjoyed our stay. Hotel and rooms are very clean. We all enjoyed the breakfast.
The pool is rather small as is the fitness center. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family