“Will stay here again.”

SpringHill Suites Norfolk Old Dominion University
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Nice hotel. Very clean. Friendly staff. Free breakfast has a great selection of foods. Large indoor pool. Nice restaurant with room service. The restaurant also has a bar and is open late. Nice area one block behind the hotel for shopping and other restaurants. The hotel is right at the university campus

Room Tip: Rooms facing Hampton Ave have a nicer view but you can here the traffic during the day.
1  Thank Liz C

Reviewed July 19, 2013

If you are looking for a suite, this is not the place for you. Their rooms are not suites. It's simply a hotel room with a sofa instead of the normal chairs. No bath tub. Only a shower. Rude rude staff. Had to wait over an hour past check in time to get in our room bc they were fully booked the night before and weren't able to clean the room in time. Horrible hotel. Poor location. Poor service. Small small pool.

• Stayed: July 2013
BBLHosp, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Norfolk Old Dominion University, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're disappointed to see that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience so we can figure out exactly what went wrong, and how we can avoid issues like this in the future.

Lindsey Janssen, General Manager

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is the second time my team made it to tennis districts and stayed at this hotel. It costs more than the recommended hotel that is farther away. However, it is less than 2 miles from the tennis courts which is great for early matches.

There is a sitting area in the room with a fold out couch. There is also a fridge and breakfast is included. Many of the teammates complained that their rooms did not have hot water in the showers and maintenance was addressing it. I did not have this problem. There is a sports bar downstairs which is great for a beer or a quick snack if you don't feel like searching for food. A couple of blocks away there is a tropical smoothie and a few other restaurants.

You pay $5 for parking during your stay and it is a gated parking. One strange thing is you have to use your key card to get to your floor. This is for every floor. I know nothing about the area but this makes me wonder about area surrounding our hotel?

One of my teammates' eyes kept watering during the weekend and thought it could be related to the cleaning products in the hotel. I did not have this issue.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I booked this hotel for a one-night break for our long drive down to the Outer Banks in N.C. The lobby and room in the hotel were very clean and comfortable! Free breakfast in the a.m. had lots of variety from waffles, eggs, sausage, yogurt, bagels, cereal,etc. Our clerk upon check in(sorry, cannot remember her name, but she had only worked in this particular hotel for a week was outstanding)! She was super friendly to everyone that walked by or checked in( I was waiting for my husband to park our car in the adjacent garage). We wandered into this area near the hotel where there were lots of nice shops and restaurants. There was even an outdoor concert nearby-fun! Only negatives were the indoor pool was very small and crowded, and although we appreciated the security, you had to scan your room key to go up and down the elevator. Our magnetic strip had to be reloaded twice for a one night's stay. Kids were jumping on the elevators and playing going up and down (waiting for guests to scan their key). Where are parents these days? Overall nice stay.

Room Tip: Don't get a suite near the elevator
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The good
It was clean. The staff was nice. The location was awesome for ODU. We liked the kitchen area. Lots of food choices w/in one block behind the hotel.

The real problem that needs fixing..
The cleaner they use is really strong. I got a terrible migrane from it (I asked they not to clean my room the next three days and had no further issues). Marriott is supposed to be hypoallergenic, but I am starting to wonder if this is slipping..

The picky..
Breakfast was EXACTLY the same for four days straight which is unusual and boring (no bacon..ugh..I have a kid who only eats bacon). We got two shampoos instead of any conditioner. We had to really beg to get a King room even though I had the email from my conference organizer promising kings. The bill didn't seem correct until I went to the desk, but they fixed it immediately. The breakfast room was small for the hotel size.

The door to our room didn't autolock at times, so check your door. And some of the card readers don't read at times.

Oh, and the internet was slow and down sporadically.

And the pool was out of service for two out of four days (but they did hunt us down to tell us it was fixed)

The shower curtain was too short often causing a flooded bathroom.

$5 for parking seems petty.

Bottomline..
If I had a conference at odu I would stay there again, but, if not, I would go elsewhere.. and might even if I had odu conference because of the cleaning fluid smell in the rooms (I am very sensitive though bc of allergies, no one else seemed bothered by it).

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I stayed here over the 4th of July week. The room was very nice and clean. The beds are very hard and because I have a not so good back, I woke up several times through the night! My husband and children slept fine I believe. The room where the pool is located is VERY LOUD even if there are just two or three people. The acoustics were HORRIBLE in the pool area. The whirlpool was cool also;. The breakfast though was VERY good but every morning it was scrambled eggs and supposedly pork sausage,which I believe was actually turkey sausage which was fine with me. The eggs were a little hard and the timer for the waffle maker was broken so some of the waffles came out rock hard...there was a nice variety of fruits, yogurts and there was a wheat bread that was very GOOD!! The staff was very pleasant but one of the front clerks was pleasant but not overly friendly but the rest were VERY friendly! They took an $89 hold on my card and then the last day took another $20, I am waiting for this money to be replaced but not as of yet, has this been done. The $20 was supposedly taken for parking but we were only there for 3 days and it is $5 a day..when traveling with family every penny counts so I am NOT too pleased with this! We did not order any movies or use any incidentals as they put. I would recommend this hotel if you have earplugs for the pool area and you have extra money for them to take at will!

Room Tip: Our room was on the 2nd floor and very quiet!!
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We went to a wedding in Norfolk and this hotel was where the bride and groom recommended everyone stay. It would have been perfect except that every high school in the area (who knew Norfolk could have so many high schools) had graduation that weekend.

When our GPS said we had .9 miles to go, the traffic stopped. We knew the hotel would be on our right but did not realize it was one street beyond where all the cars were turning in to the convention center for a graduation. After sitting in the traffic for a half an hour, we got into the left lane which was moving a little faster.

Once we got to the hotel, it was good. They charge for parking but it is worth it and very convenient. The room was good with a little sitting room and separate bedroom. No complaints about the hotel. Just be aware of what is going on at the convention center, which is right next door, when you book your room.

The check in desk had fantastic maps to show how to get around the area. This was a life saver for us, but they did not offer it to us when we checked in. We only knew about it when I saw someone else ask for it. I had gone to AAA and asked for a street map of Norfolk but did not realize they gave me the wrong map until we were there. If we didn't have the hotel map we would have been completely lost. Our GPS doesn't show how to get around traffic but the map did.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family