“My favorite place to eat, but it is not the most outstanding”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of A.W. Shuck's

A.W. Shuck's
Ranked #8 of 700 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Virginia
“My favorite place to eat, but it is not the most outstanding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I love this place. Okay, I admit-- the food is inconsistent, but usually it is excellent. Monday night all you can eat snow crab legs are great. Wednesday prime rib is fabulous (unless you're unlucky and the chef overcooks your order, which can happen a not infrequently). The fish here is excellent-- the fish really rivals the restaurant 456 Fish. There are many different beers on tap-- it's a true roadhouse with some hidden cooking talent. People are loyal, and most of the servers are nice (one or two are idiots, but what the hey). The owner is a bit of a jerk, but he doesn't usually make an appearance and is not too intrusive. The prices are very reasonable. There are some hidden gems on the menu.

1 Thank Petronius X

Louisville, Kentucky
“AW Shucks we paid $80 for an average meal!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I want so bad to write a great review about this place but I must be honest! First, let me say that the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I'd come back simply because the service is friendly, fast and laid back! The server even gave my husband beer samples from their extensive beer list helping him choose his drink for the night. It was the food that got me. My shrimp was just average... I think it was the breading that took away from the taste. the macaroni was different but good and the collard greens were all stems so it was a bit disappointing. I think I just got a bad bowl. I wasn't overly pleased for what I paid. My husband had the jambalaya which he liked and an appetizer of wings which were whole wings surprisingly. Overall, it was my most expensive and least favorite meal during my vacation. I'd give them another try though I just know not to order the fried shrimp

1 Thank Vanessa T
“Don't let the outside fool you”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We drove all day til we arrived at 10:30pm. We ate there by default (all the other restaurants we wanted to try closed at either 9 it 10pm) but because of my fellow tripadvisor and their reviews, I stood firm and announced to my skeptical family members, "yes, we are eating here."
The Rockfish was cooked to perfection, and creatively cooked w butter beans and fingerling potatoes. Mac and cheese I heard so much about lives to its reputation. My jambalaya was not true form but they did their spin on it and it had a more soup then what I woul have liked but the fish that was blackened on top and seasoning overall was amazing. The batter on fish for fish and chips were light and baked golden. Just overall amazing. We would have happily paid (and would have in more in a fancier place) but feeding a family of 5 with 2 apps, main entrees, wine and 2 beers- amazing at 150 bucks!

1 Thank Marcyne
Chillicothe, Ohio, United States
“Good Food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great food, great atmosphere. Not a very big place, but that's perfect. Ordered the bounty sampler, loved, loved it!! Ate there twice the week I stayed in Norfolk.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Melissa L
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Visiting area from Gaithersburg, Md.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife loves Crab/Lobster and the all you can eat special was perfect, she loved it.

I had a Burger and it was very good. Loved the Beer selection.

• Visited June 2013

Been to A.W. Shuck's? Share your experiences!