“AW Shucks we paid $80 for an average meal!”
Review of A.W. Shuck's

A.W. Shuck's
Ranked #9 of 733 Restaurants in Norfolk
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I want so bad to write a great review about this place but I must be honest! First, let me say that the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I'd come back simply because the service is friendly, fast and laid back! The server even gave my husband beer samples from their extensive beer list helping him choose his drink for the night. It was the food that got me. My shrimp was just average... I think it was the breading that took away from the taste. the macaroni was different but good and the collard greens were all stems so it was a bit disappointing. I think I just got a bad bowl. I wasn't overly pleased for what I paid. My husband had the jambalaya which he liked and an appetizer of wings which were whole wings surprisingly. Overall, it was my most expensive and least favorite meal during my vacation. I'd give them another try though I just know not to order the fried shrimp

1  Thank Vanessa T

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We drove all day til we arrived at 10:30pm. We ate there by default (all the other restaurants we wanted to try closed at either 9 it 10pm) but because of my fellow tripadvisor and their reviews, I stood firm and announced to my skeptical family members, "yes, we are eating here."
The Rockfish was cooked to perfection, and creatively cooked w butter beans and fingerling potatoes. Mac and cheese I heard so much about lives to its reputation. My jambalaya was not true form but they did their spin on it and it had a more soup then what I woul have liked but the fish that was blackened on top and seasoning overall was amazing. The batter on fish for fish and chips were light and baked golden. Just overall amazing. We would have happily paid (and would have in more in a fancier place) but feeding a family of 5 with 2 apps, main entrees, wine and 2 beers- amazing at 150 bucks!

1  Thank Marcyne
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great food, great atmosphere. Not a very big place, but that's perfect. Ordered the bounty sampler, loved, loved it!! Ate there twice the week I stayed in Norfolk.

1  Thank Melissa L
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife loves Crab/Lobster and the all you can eat special was perfect, she loved it.

I had a Burger and it was very good. Loved the Beer selection.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am a regular eat at Bars in Norfolk single guy and enjoy many in particular Press 626 on corner of Olney and Colley in Ghent and the new Colley Cantina. I have travelled half the world, seen some fine service and some not so fine. On Sunday night I went to AW Shucks with a group of 6-7 we were served by a bar tender who I was told was "the Best" must have been having a bad day. QUITE HONESTLY MY WORST EXPERIENCE IN A BAR WORLDWIDE. I was so angry I left before an incident occurred leaving $90 for a bill that may have run to $25, requesting my friends be taken care of. Apparently he took it as a tip for the good service!! Hope he uses it to pay for laundry, a clean up and perhaps bar tending school.

2  Thank Ed S

Been to A.W. Shuck's? Share your experiences!