“Very Popular and Very Good”
Review of A.W. Shuck's

A.W. Shuck's
Ranked #8 of 712 Restaurants in Norfolk
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dallas, Texas
“Very Popular and Very Good”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was with a party of three and we arrived about 5 o'clock. It was quite crowded and we were given a 30 minute wait. While in the waiting foyer we ordered drinks. I, being a Guinness fan, was disappointed finding out they didn't serve it however please to learn they had Murphy's (from Cork Ireland) Stout in the can that contained the "nitrogen widget" giving it a very good draught taste. Once we were seated service was prompt and recommendations on meals were excellent. I had the crab cakes which were very good (not the best I have ever had but still good). But I also had the Malpeque Oysters for the first time and I must say they are now my favorite oyster on the half shell.

It was a fun place with good food and I learned two good lessons: 1) Murphy Stout is a good substitute for Guinness and 2) Malpeque Oysters have to be the best oyster I have ever had!

I wouldn't hesitate recommending A. W. Shucks to anyone and certainly hope I have a chance to return.

• Visited June 2013

Fort Washington
“Yes!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had heard about this place from a friend from College who still lives in the area. I decided to try it the next time I was in town. It's a little tucked away but it's right off of 21st street a think. We ordered Crab Legs to start which I thought were a little expensive at first until they came and I tried them. They were hot, juicy and huge, perhaps the best snow crab legs I had ever tasted. I wish I lived in Norfolk still so I could hit up there all you can eat Snow Crab night. After that I ordered the crab shucks, and Mac N Cheese as well as the Spinach. All of it tasted fresh and well cooked. My GF ordered the burger which was also excellent. My waiter was super smooth, and was a professional. I forgot his name but he had on the Tupac T-Shirt lol. I liked the laid back feel of the place, really cool.

• Visited May 2013
“REALLY?!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Very disappointing, pretty greasy food by any healthy person standards, very noisy bar ambiance in a shady part of town. Not a fine dining or a place to bring the family!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 123ladolcevita
Casper, Wyoming
“Great food and Atmosphere”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Well worth the forty-minute wait. I chose the lump crab sandwich, which was full of lump crab meat. Tender, moist and delicious. Not along the main drag so ask a local for directions. You won't want to miss this experience.

Visited May 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great oysters”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great oysters, the best in Norfolk. There is a nice atmosphere. The bar is a great place to watch sports and the restaurant is nice without being too dressy or too casual.

Visited May 2013

Been to A.W. Shuck's? Share your experiences!