“***FRESH*** Seafood”

Ranked #9 of 730 Restaurants in Norfolk
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Pros - it's a seafood restaurant that serves FRESH seafood. Most of my food was broiled, but even the fried oysters were good. Not overdone, not over seasoned and not drowned in a vat of oil. My wife had fried catfish that I won't dare call perfect...but...it was that good

Cons - no reservations, but I understand. The restaurant is not small, but isn't a banquet hall either. If you don't attempt to go during the dinner rush you'll be able to be seated without waiting too long (max 45 minutes). I went early evening and was immediately seated and served appetizers.

Highlights:
Blue crab dip - ours came out boiling hot, but after it cooled off it was well worth the wait. They were not stingy with the crab meat and will refresh your crostinis if you run out.

AW Shucks Platter - a little bit of everything broiled or fried. If you have the stomach for shrimp, scallops, oysters and fish, you will be in heaven.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have been eating at this place whenever in town for business. If you were to view their main pics and only see the fried food, you may shy away. I ordered the blackened Mahi this past week and it was incredible. I had potatoes and garlic green beans as my sides with a side salad. Literally cleaned my plate.

As a bonus, this place has a pretty impressive scotch and bourbon selection and a the bearded bartender knows his stuff. I don't personally do oysters, but they have had some kind of oyster special every time I've visited, and usually have 6 or 8 different types of oysters on hand. They also have an all you can eat crab leg night, but told me they do tend to run out if you get there late. They order 250lbs of legs every time they do it.

Give the place a shot, they have some very solid food and great service.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Excellent, fresh, well-prepared seafood. Some of the best oysters and scallops I've ever eaten. Very varied menu , all fresh and delicious. Service is perfect. Only downside is waiting in line. You can't do better than this in Norfolk.

2  Thank dogwalkerNorfolk
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The decor and the atmosphere makes you think you're somewhere by the sea, and the food does not disappoint. Reasonable bar and wine selection complements an extensive seafood menu, with fresh shucked oysters of various origins available most nights. Can get a little noisy on the weekends, but there's covered outdoor seating in front that can be enclosed in winter months. Great pricing tops off a fine establisment.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I'm in Norfolk fairly frequently, and this is my favorite place to eat! There's a fantastic beer list, a great selection of raw oysters, and lots of fresh yummy seafood to choose from. I love their crabcakes best, but I also love ordering fresh fish specials-- I've never had one that wasn't fabulous. The staff and customers are super friendly too. I recommend sitting at the bar-- you might well make a new friend.

1  Thank fenchurch128

Been to A.W. Shuck's? Share your experiences!