“Just adequate”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Orlando, Florida
“Just adequate”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I had high hopes for my first visit, considering the excellent reviews across multiple sites. When I first walked up, I liked the quaint, cafe look of the outside seating area. The weather was nice, so it was a perfect spot to grab some lunch.

The lunch menu was pretty uninspiring. It had a standard selection of sandwiches, soups, and a few entrees. Nothing stood out as unique, and even the descriptions weren't particularly appealing. I tried to order the grilled chicken salad, but was told they were out of chicken. Not a good start. I then opted for turkey reuben and a bowl of tomato bisque soup. The sandwich was OK, although I felt the addition of jalepenos was odd. The tomato bisque soup was not very good at all. There was too much sweetness, which was unwelcome as I expected my soup to be savory. I did however enjoy the addition of cheese cubes. It added a pretty nice twist.

Service was friendly, and overall the food wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

1 Thank duucfho

Norfolk, Virginia
“Go for the Mussels”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Have eaten here many time and thought a review was in order. Very nice setting in the Ghent area of Norfolk, many quaint surrounding shops. The menu is pretty broad with several excellent choices that are very unique. We enjoy seafood and have had Mussels from Boston to Hilton Head and every place in-between and The Green Onion's are by far the best. Make an excellent choice and one order will serve 3-4 as an appetizer or two for a lunch meal. Don't miss this if you are visiting Norfolk.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Trying to be first-rate, but not there yet”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

A nice restaurant in Norfolk is trying to be first-rate, but allows some missteps on the way. The menu is constantly changing and as a result, we were visiting when the December menu was going out, whereas January menu was not there yet. Consequently many items listed in the menu were not available.
I ordered Oyster Stew, which appeared to be a rather big plate of soup with kind of bland oyster stew, which I did not like too much. It probably says more about my inability to enjoy oysters in any form, than about limitations of the chef. Still, I expected more.
Filet Minion was very nicely cooked. The desert was also delicious. I should give this restaurant another look, if I’ll have a chance.

Visited January 2013
Norfolk, Virginia
“Not afraid to cook medium-rare - yea!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Last visit I had the most scrumptious shrimp and grits so this time I had the steak frites, ordered medium-rare, a flat iron steak, pan drippings, arugula, pommes frites, black truffle vinaigrette. Everything was delicious - arugula had a lemony flavor, and while there were plenty of them, I could have eaten 6 servings of the pomme frites, they were so flavorful (and I am irish). The flat-iron steak was delicious and tender as if it were a much more expensive cut of beef - I found myself mopping up the pan drippings for the mouth-watering flavor. Our wait staff was quite attentive, we were there when they re-opened at 5PM so it was not terribly busy and while I would have preferred to sit on the patio, my husband chose an indoor table near a window so we could still people-watch.

This is a gem of a place and I found myself yearning for a time to gather with friends for drinks and food on the comfy-looking chartreuse leather sofas in the expanded area of the restaurant.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good Food, but a bit slow on the service”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We arrived and were promptly seated in the outdoor area. Several waitstaff passed us by in a hurry and after 10 minutes, someone finally asked us if we'd been helped. She was very apologetic the entire time. Just seemed that she had something better and more interesting to do the entire time. Would have been nice if she smiled a bit! 10 additional minutes before the beverages arrived. The service is the only reason I gave it an average rating.

The menu is small, but that means that the items that they do have are well thought out and all looked delicious.

They were a tad on the expensive side for a sandwich and french fry sticks. I had the apple and bacon grilled cheese on sourdough, which was absolutely amazing! He had the grilled chicken on flatbread with aioli and spinach. Also amazing. All of the other diners around us had plates of food that I will likely go back and sample... as long as I have an hour and a half to wait for them!

• Visited May 2013