“Not afraid to cook medium-rare - yea!”
Review of Green Onion

Green Onion
Ranked #79 of 704 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Norfolk, Virginia
“Not afraid to cook medium-rare - yea!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Last visit I had the most scrumptious shrimp and grits so this time I had the steak frites, ordered medium-rare, a flat iron steak, pan drippings, arugula, pommes frites, black truffle vinaigrette. Everything was delicious - arugula had a lemony flavor, and while there were plenty of them, I could have eaten 6 servings of the pomme frites, they were so flavorful (and I am irish). The flat-iron steak was delicious and tender as if it were a much more expensive cut of beef - I found myself mopping up the pan drippings for the mouth-watering flavor. Our wait staff was quite attentive, we were there when they re-opened at 5PM so it was not terribly busy and while I would have preferred to sit on the patio, my husband chose an indoor table near a window so we could still people-watch.

This is a gem of a place and I found myself yearning for a time to gather with friends for drinks and food on the comfy-looking chartreuse leather sofas in the expanded area of the restaurant.

• Visited June 2013

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good Food, but a bit slow on the service”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We arrived and were promptly seated in the outdoor area. Several waitstaff passed us by in a hurry and after 10 minutes, someone finally asked us if we'd been helped. She was very apologetic the entire time. Just seemed that she had something better and more interesting to do the entire time. Would have been nice if she smiled a bit! 10 additional minutes before the beverages arrived. The service is the only reason I gave it an average rating.

The menu is small, but that means that the items that they do have are well thought out and all looked delicious.

They were a tad on the expensive side for a sandwich and french fry sticks. I had the apple and bacon grilled cheese on sourdough, which was absolutely amazing! He had the grilled chicken on flatbread with aioli and spinach. Also amazing. All of the other diners around us had plates of food that I will likely go back and sample... as long as I have an hour and a half to wait for them!

• Visited May 2013
Williamsburg, Virginia
“You won't find service with a smile here”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Me and my wife have been here many times before and it was always pretty nice, including the food. This time it was absolutely opposite experience. We have walked in at 2:30 PM for Sunday brunch. There were maybe 10 tables being served, so not too crazy busy, right? Well we were asked to sit in their green sofas and wait for maybe 5 minutes before a table becomes available. ??? We wanted to sit outside so it was OK for us to wait short time. When the table was ready, the gentleman who I guess was the host didn't even bother to come to us, instead just waived from across the restaurant to let us know that we can go have a seat at our table. This was just the beginning. We did not get the impression that anyone of the waiting staff really cared about their guests and customers. There was not a single person that would even smiled at us or other people around, including our waitress. I hate to do this but we have decided not to return to Green Onion anymore in the future, unless we hear that some positive customer service techniques have been implemented. The food wasn't as good as we have experienced in the past either. Sorry Green Onion, you are of our list for a quite some time.

• Visited May 2013
Virginia
“UTTERLY UNTRUSTWORTHY”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

A family conversation....

Mid April: "Mom, you're almost 90. Where you you want to go this year for Mothers' Day Brunch? Anywhere is fine with us." "Oh, the Green Onion on Colley Avenue? That sounds perfect!"

Third week in April: "Hello, Green Onion? Yes, I'd like to make reservations for brunch on Mothers' Day. That Sunday at 11am. A table for six. Seat us inside please." You can accommodate us? Great! Thank you so much. Your brunch is one of my Mom's favorites. See you then."

Later that day to a brother and a son: "Yes, the Green Onion on Colley can take us at 11. Table for 6 inside. Mom is happy with that and it suits us just fine." ... "Ok great, see you guys there!"

Mothers Day at 11 am at the Green Onion: "But I called weeks ago and made a reservation for 11 - a table for 6 inside". ... "No my Mom is almost 90 - we can't have her wait to see if a table opens up. It looks as if whoever took our reservation several weeks ago spelled our last name wrong. Look on your list - that table for 6 for Hall at 11 looks pretty close. And no Halls have shown up. So isn't is apparent that...." - "Ok. Well I guess we have no choice if you won't seat us. Are you certain there is one I can speak with? My entire family is here. No?"

Look. I know people make mistakes. Those with character and integrity admit them and do their best to correct them. Those responsible for running this establishment seem to be completely unaware of the consequences of their carelessness - and moreover, display a complete and utter lack of concern for their customers who are stuck. Mother's Day at 11. Turned away.

So, the food. I've eaten here for years and generally the food is reliably good. Highs and lows but on the better side of good. The menu is stale and needs updating. Those is charge obviously reluctant to let go of what has worked reasonably well in the past. Waitstaff is responsive and knowledgable. The reservation taker is an idiot.

If you wish to do business with this ilk, by all means do go there. Your meal probably will be just fine. Think twice however before making reservations - particularly if it's for a special occasion. The folks running this place give every appearance of not caring one bit.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Griller333
Damascus, Maryland
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This restaurant was great! I would always pass it and never go in but my parents brought me here for an early bday meal! It was fantastic from the service to the food! We ended up finishing everything that we ordered! I tried some of my mom's halloumi salad stack it was great and even though i'm not a beet fan i couldn't really taste and it was good! I got the duck which was amazing! It was so tender on the inside and had a little crunch from the skin, combined with the egg and sweet potatoe hash it was fabulous! I also had a glass of the pomegranite sangria which was so refreshing!!!!!

• Visited April 2013