“Great location, great service, clean rooms!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cape May, New Jersey
“Great location, great service, clean rooms!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times and it has always been a pleasant experience! Great location near the airport, near shopping and restaurants. Rooms were updated and clean. Internet was fast. Staff was nice and polite. Breakfast was ok. I do have to say the breakfast is always just ok at Hampton Inn. I stay there often ( at different locations) and they are always just ok. For the price I say it was/is a good deal.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank tanyaro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Atlanta
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Have stayed here roughly 5 times and have always had a good experience. I find the rooms to always be clean and the location is very close to JANAF, which has a lot of shops and restuarants. Breakfast is consistent within the expectation of the Hampton brand, which I find comforting.

Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Bozeman
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Hampton Inns, for me have been pretty consistent, mediocre but steadily so. On this stay I learned that an overbooking situation can mean the last person to the hotel gets the shaft! I showed up at 11:10 PM from the airport to a highly stressed night manager who explained that the hotel was overbooked (by the national chain) and that they would find me a room elsewhere in town - like 10 miles away - elsewhere. I told them that would work for me as I had no car and was riding to meetings with two other guests. Amazingly a room became available and I rolled up to the 2nd floor and barged into a room full of former NFL linebacker sized Law Enforcement types that were less than pleased to see me. I quickly retreated and exfiled to the desk. The poor traumatized Night Manager didn’t really get that I could have been beaten senseless and gave me a card to the "Last Worst Room" - a smoking room on the fourth floor. After checking it out for 30 seconds I told them I would rather not have to burn my clothes after sleeping there and struck out on my own. I ended up paying for a night in a Candlewood Suites down the road - super nice folks there.
I returned the next day, as I still had to ride with the other guys to work, thinking I might get some royalty treatment as surely my story had been passed forward to the day shift. The frosty attitude at the desk was disappointing but they said I would get a room. Returned after work and was awarded Room 112 – it is 30 feet from a 6 lane street but that doesn’t matter because the AC is so loud that you can’t hear the traffic - as a bonus, when the AC shuts off, some machine that sounds like it is shredding aluminum cans is next door to make sure you can’t hear the traffic. And there is no hot water in the sink – nice…..
I’m not sure what’s up with Hampton Inns – lately they seem to be going downhill - I am crossing this one off the list and I advise you to stay in the Hilton next door if you can.

Room Tip: Dont take any rooms on the first floor by the pool or any on the fist floor near the street or any o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank BozemanLocal
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Stay away. Just simply stay away. Upon entering my 1st floor room I found that the cars on the 6 lane road were about 30 feet away from my windows. I immediately returned to the front desk and requested another room and was told that the hotel was completely booked and there was nothing they could do. Kelvin, at the front desk, assured me that traffic on the road would decrease significantly after 7-8pm. With hesitation I decided to stay, especially since the rest of the team members (business trip) were at this hotel. Upon returning to the room after dinner, I turned on the AC. The rattling, grinding AC. No maintenance available. A member of the housekeeping staff came and listened to the noise and offered her condolescenses. I was assured that the AC would be repaired the next day.

After a night of broken sleep I met the team at 5:30a. I spoke with the front desk staff and requested that the AC be repaired and that I be moved to a room away from the road. I called at 1p and was told that the AC had been repaired and was told that there were no other rooms available. Upon arrival at the room at 3:30p I turned on the AC. The rattling and grinding resumed. I guess the maintenance guy had fixed it by turning it off. I went to the front desk and reported the problem. I requested another room but only a smoking room was available, which was not an option. There was a vacancy in a hotel 25 mins away. I returned to the room and noticed condensation coming out of the AC. Back to the front desk. Four employees: It is a brand new unit installed 2 days prior to my arrival. No way anything is wrong with it. Gang up on the guest. When you don't want to address the problem just deploy some bullying. Maintenance guy to the room. He stated that the white condensation blowing out was perfectly normal. I gave up. I am leaving in 12 hours. I will advise the travel dept to avoid Hampton Inns in the future.

Anne Allen, LPC, NCC

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Anne A
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I spent two nights at this hotel earlier this monthApril 2012). The hotel is well located to go to either downtown Norfolk or Va. Beach. The place was clean and the bed was quite comfortable, as with all of the Hampton/Hilton propertiew where I stay. The reason I gave them a 4 vice a 5 are the grounds and the location. The area is a little ras wna is is not reasonable to walk to a restaurant from the hotel. If you are only interested in a great room, above average complimentary breakfast and good access to major roads, this place is a 5.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ogre1969
Tampa
Reviewed March 3, 2012

As a loyal Hampton Inn patron on my weekly business travels, I have come to expect a certain level of quality and this Hampton Inn just off of USAA Drive in Norfolk was just an "okay" experience for me. The lobby was nice and I particularly appreciated the Krispy Creme Donuts and chocolate cookies upon check-in. Nice! But things got a little rocky when I was first sent to a smoking room. Eeee... not good but easily and readily corrected by the great front desk staff. My new room was much better since it didn't have the smoke smell but it was definitely very worn-- stains on the rug, marks on the wall, wallpaper rolling up along the edges in the bathroom, and stains on the chair near the desk (see pics). Also, and I am surprised to say this, I had a bit of trouble falling asleep on that bed and that is something I rarely EVER say when I stay at Hampton Inns! Usually the beds are super comfy, but this one was just okay. It was definitely clean but I just couldn't get comfortable (the mattress was too stiff or something). When I did finally fall asleep I was fine though-- I didn't toss and turn or wake up from it being uncomfortable or anything, so that was good.

The location was very convenient-- not only to the major roads I needed to get me around town to appointments and then to the airport easily, but it was also convenient to nearby restaurants (tons of choices) and to a Fed Ex Office for copies of the materials I needed for my early morning presentation.

All in all, with free parking, free wi-fi, free breakfast, and a clean (though dated/worn) room accommodations, this hotel was fine... especially since I was only there one night. With a little face lift on the rooms, it would totally be up to Hampton Inn's typical standards because it was otherwise a really nice stay in a convenient location. :-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank debbiesdreamtrips
Afton, Virginia
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I love Hampton Inns but probably wouldn't recommend this one and funnily enough it's right next to a full-service Hilton that was actually cheaper but my business associate was staying in the Hampton next door.

Problems started when I called from the airport for directions and after I was told by the front desk that they'd never been over by the airport - again this is an "airport" hotel - they asked, "Don't you have a GPS??"

I had requested online, as I always do, a room with a bathtub.

I confirmed this when I was handed the key by the same guy who had never been to the airport but room 313 I discovered had only a shower.

Calling the front desk, the same guy who likes a GPS said, "You mean a standup shower? Are you sure?"

He then asked that I come back down where I was given another room that he assured me had a bath.

You guessed it - it didn't.

He told me to come back down and he would try again but I politely refused, saying it was late and this was too hard.

To add insult to injury, he called again in 15 minutes to say he'd found one on the ground floor but I declined.

Room Tip: Good luck.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business