“Great Choice!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I've had a hard time finding the "right" property in Norfolk when I travel for work. I used to stay at the Hilton next door, but the age of that hotel has badly caught up to it. I tried a Springhill a bit further out and wasn't impressed. This Hampton Inn will be my choice going forward.

Location/Check-In
The hotel is located off a very busy intersection of Norfolk, however as other callers have mentioned, if you can get an odd # room, you will be fine. There are a lot of businesses further back in this park, and I like that you can get to a traffic light from the hotel. It was easy to find, but can be hard to get into/out of during traffic. Check-in was fine and they met all room requirements. They have a little snack shop in the front which is great if you need to eat a quick snack or buy some soda/water.

Room
I was given a suite and it was excellent. The room is almost like a cavern it's so big. As you walk in there is a kitchen area that has a nice granite top, microwave and fridge (smaller ones). I love having a place to store my food, so this worked out well. There is a sofa and table in the suite and plenty of places to store my luggage on high (with the whole bed bug thing, you never want to put your luggage on the floor on upholstered furniture - absolutely not saying they have them, just a traveler's trick). The bed was large and very comfortable. I like how the Hampton chain uses a special fitted sheet under another fitted sheet as it does make me feel safer from bugs. The linens were clean and made use of the blanket in the hall.

The AC unit can get noisy, but it didn't really bother me too much. The LCD TV was great, and able to find CC without too much of a problem. The bathroom was clean and they provide very small amenities (shampoo, lotion, etc.). Water pressure was actually excellent and towels were soft. I did not hear a lot of noise from other rooms and I did not smell any cigarette smoke (they had only a handful of smoking rooms).

Overall
I was very happy to have tried this hotel out. The Hilton, although nice for Diamond members due to the upgrades, still has some issues to work out. This hotel was clean, quiet, staff friendly and made my trip more comfortable. I would definitely recommend it and will stay here in the future.

Room Tip: Odd # rooms are key
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Norfolk-Airport

Reviewed August 9, 2011

My son and I stayed here the night before he had to report to boot camp at Norfolk Naval Station. Great hotel close to the base, airport, Virginia Beach and Portsmouth. Lots of restaurants and attractions nearby. Hotel breakfast is just OK. Room was huge, and clean. Hotel staff was great. There are a lot of other hotels in the area but we would definitely stay here if we came back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Kudos to the staff for making our family reunion a success. From reception to housekeeping and shuttle service, we received prompt and courteous service.

We will definitely return as a group and individually.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Good location from the airport. Just a basic no frills hotel. Breakfast was good, fitness room was convenient. I'd advise an odd number room as the even numbered rooms face the road and I know how some people are when it comes to road noise. Very convenient to Virginia Beach.

Room Tip: ask for odd numbered room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Dkelley78
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I struggled with this choice, as tripadvisor reviews only rated it just under three stars. The room was surprisingly nice. The bed comfortable, the bathroom very large and nice towels. It was decorated very nice. Hotel staff very polite. We were able to check in early too. Breakfast was just ok. If you just need something quick it will do, or just grab some coffee and juice and go out somewhere else. Pool was inside and nice. Exercise room only had three basic machines, but available. Lots or restaurants nearby and easy access to highway.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed here for a weekend getaway to Va Beach. The beach hotels are so expensive (or cheap and sketchy) so we opted to stay 20 min away to get a good deal on a clean hotel. We used hotwire and got a great deal.
Pros: clean room with a clean bathroom, quiet (but ask for a room away from the highway if you're a light sleeper, it will have an odd room number, thanks to other reviewers for this advice), AC worked great, comfy beds and linens, nice TV, FREE breakfast (one day was french toast & sausage with the usual toast/cereal/etc and another day was scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, and bagels topped with cheese & bacon), free wi-fi, coffee in room, indoor pool, workout room, and business center (one computer and one printer). Also you can't really hear the planes...only once in awhile and we never heard them at night time and our hallway was very quiet as well.
Cons: No fridge or microwave in room (these are for suites only), I had requested a King bed when I called but ended up with 2 doubles...not a huge deal but still. And of course we wished that the hampton inn in VA Beach had equally as good rates.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I stayed at this Hampton Inn with my family on the night before a flight out of Norfolk. We arrived around noon and we were able to check in immediately. A big "Thank You" to the front desk for that as we drove through a blizzard to get there that day!

We unloaded the car and walked across the parking lot to eat lunch at Max and Erma's, a chain which we hadn't seen since we lived in the Midwest and we miss it terribly.

After lunch we spent some time at the pool which we found to be very nice. Clean, not too cold, and with the most recent service record posted on the wall which was a nice touch. Later we returned to the pool and had a pizza delivered. With our pizza I bought sodas at the front desk and the clerk (Cecille) could not have been nicer or more accomodating.

I wish I had read an earlier review before staying at this hotel, as our room did face the highway and the traffic noise kept me awake for until exhaustion took over. Because I checked in early the clerk at the front desk switched me from the room I was originally assigned, so it may be that I was intended to get a room away from the highway.

We had a 7am flight and so were not able to avail ourselves of the free breakfast, however the wake-up call and airport shuttle service were just perfect. We were allowed to leave our car in the hotel parking lot for the week that we were away ($20 fee).

Really nice Hampton. I'm glad we found it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family