“Great family experience!”

and up
Norfolk Passport to Fun
Ranked #3 of 74 things to do in Norfolk
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We have only been here for the Christmas lights, but we go EVERY year! It is such a wonderful family experience that has given our family memories to last a life time. They offered delicious popcorn this past year and our family loved this added perk to an already wonderful event.

There are newer reviews for Norfolk Botanical Garden

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great place for family outings. The children's fountains are a lot of fun during the summer. They have bike nights, a tram and boat tour. The holiday lights are the best in the area. They also offer an endless variety of program and classes. The annual family membership is well worth the price. You can always find something going on year round.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our family loves NBG. This year we bought a membership since I have to pay for both my kids now, and it is well worth it. Every time we go we find a new trail or area that we somehow missed before. There are different flowers blooming at different times of the year so you get lots of variety. In the summer they often have different themed exhibits scattered throughout the park; one year it was mazes, another year it was pirate adventures. This year they had glass sculptures hidden throughout the park, and my kids really enjoyed looking for all of them. The Children's garden is always amazing; so many things in there for kids to discover. The fountains are great in the summer, as it does get very hot in that area. The really nice part is NBG allows outside food and drink, so we often bring a picnic lunch and find a quiet shady spot to relax. A nice addition they have added is a giant sand hill for the kids to play on, with hammocks and Adirondack chairs nearby so weary parents can sit a minute. (This is not part of the children's garden, it's in another area.) And be sure not to miss the butterfly house, it's magical!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We've been to NBG countless times and eventually became members. When we first came here we had to pay, and it was a little cheaper at about six or seven dollars per adult, and free for children under three. Unfortunately, I believe it's gone up in the past half a year or so. Trust me, the membership is well worth it if you're local (we live in Portsmouth), and plan to go more than once or twice (which is easy to do, because they have soooo much to offer!). This review would be way too long if I talked about everything, so all I can say is to check it out for yourself! (You can find them on Facebook under Norfolk Botanical Gardens, the profile picture is a leaf that says 75 years, for lots more information on events, etc...)

I apologize if I sound like a promoter, but I promise I'm not. Lol. I just really love this place and enjoy bringing friends and family here! :)

Key areas that are my favorite in the garden are:
The airport overlook where you can watch planes land and take off. You can listen to air traffic control speak to the pilots. It's super cool! Having a former Navy aviation mechanic for a husband, who knows a little of what they're talking about is even cooler! Lol.
The tram tour. It's free and allows you to sit and enjoy taking in a bit of the garden while listening to some history.
The rose garden. Hundreds of roses! So beautiful and most are still in bloom now (Late September)!
Childrens WOW garden. Your young ones are going to love this place guaranteed! My four year old daughter who has come here since she was one sure does!
Perennial garden. Ah-maze-ing! The flowers in bloom here are phenomenal and the fountains equally beautiful.

And that's barely even scratching the surface of all the many different area's in the garden they have to offer. So like I said, well worth it! They are constantly holding some form of an event here. Their main attraction I believe is the Garden of Lights that starts in mid November. Truly a wonderful sight to see! :)

2  Thank Adventurer L
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is a very beautiful and peaceful place. You can stroll around the gardens for hours and relax. Takeing a tram or boat tour or watching the aircraft takeing off and landing can be great fun. Don't miss this place.

2  Thank scokog