“Hidden Gem”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

For a nice, relaxing day out its hard to beat the Botanical garden. Ticket prices are extremely reasonable and include a tram around the grounds. There is also a guided boat tour for an additional $5. Parking is included in admission.

Norfolk, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A great place to stroll with a baby...and enjoy seasonal blooms, too!”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I were looking for things to do with our infant when she was first born, and we found the Botanical Garden to suit all our needs. We ended up buying an annual pass for about $80 so we can go back often when our child wants to stroll (well, when WE want to stroll in a beautiful setting!). The pass is generous in that I am able to get up to 6 people in on my card.

It has changing exhibits with the change in blooms, and when we were there the first time the azaleas (April) were featured. Next it was the hydrangeas (June), and they were amazing. There are wonderfaul paved paths for strollers, and small unpaved walkways through trees and shrubs as well. I would have loved to explore the unpaved walkways but we decided not to try it with our stroller and newborn (next time, for sure!). We took a million pictures of the canal lined with azaleas; it's so serene and beautiful. We have yet to take the tram or boat, but they both look worthwhile.

The children's area is a lot of fun to explore, and the bench swings are so relaxing to sit on. The water park feature looks like a lot of fun for the toddler and older crowd, and I can't wait to take our daughter when she's able to stand/walk. We saw a family eating a picnic by the tall fountain and once the weather cools off a little we'll be back to copy their idea.

Visited April 2011
Seattle, Washington
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“A great diversion from the city.”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

My family toured the garden and my boys, 7 and 8, loved it. They loved everything about it, the chance to run around, the kids area, the mazes and the plants. We all liked it so much that we spent longer than planned there, even though it rained on us for a while. A very worthwile visit if you are in the area.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank GulfSider
north carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great hidden gem”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My family and I (wife, daughter 7) tour the gardens on a Friday afternoon. We were pleasantly suprised by the beauty of the gardens and how large of an area it covered. You should set aside at least 3 to 4 hours to see all of the gardens. The rose garden was bloomed out but the iris and many other flowers were in full bloom. The kids area was a little more geared for 3-5 year olds but my daughter enjoyed her 30 mins. They also have a small scavenger hunt to find different fruit and vegetable plants growing in the kids play area.
The cost was $25 for all three of us and I felt that was reasonalble. they do have a tram and you can pay extra for a boat ride through the gardens. The only negative that holds me back from a five star rating was the fact that the gardens are located right next to the Norfolk Intl. Airport and the wonderful ambiance of the gardens were often broken up by the loud sound of jet engines taking off and landing.
All in all a definate stop if you are in Norfolk.

Visited June 2011
Newport News, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Norfolk Botanical Garden Cafe'”
Reviewed September 9, 2010

The garden itself was very good. On the other hand the cafe' was very poorly run, food was bad, we spent over $18. for 2 chilie dogs,one roast beef sandwich,1 bag of chips & 1 drink, the bread and lettuce on the sandwich was so bad I had to remove it and eat the meat alone. They didn't have any of the items listed on the menu

1 Thank chestnut63