“Animals Live Low Quality of Lives”
Review of Virginia Zoo

and up
Norfolk Passport to Fun
Ranked #5 of 76 things to do in Norfolk
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Zookeepers told me that most animals are locked up inside their cages at night and are only allowed outside when the Zoo is open. These unfortunate animals include elephants, giraffes, tigers, zebras, orangutans, siamangs, sun bears, moon bears and probably more. Warehousing animals for over 16 hours a day in small concrete and steel cages with nothing to do and no natural materials to experience is the worst kind of animal cruelty. I feel terrible that my family’s visit to the Virginia Zoo is supporting the cruel treatment of the animals I love.

2  Thank Dave M
in 105 reviews
"habitat"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This Zoo was simply beautiful. Probably one of the cleanest that I have ever visited. I was able to use my AAA membership and it saved me some money for adult admission. My mother, who would have been classified as a senior, actually got in FREE since she walks with a cane. If you are visably hanicapped according to the guidelines of the Disability Act, you will get in free. I thought that was awesome. They have this cute little train that takes you for a tour of the zoo. That only costs $2.00 per person. Zoo is spread out nicely. They are doing many renovations in different areas to make this zoo even better. Prices in the gift shop were reasonable. The food costs were also not bad. There was no fee to park either which was fantastic. I would definitely visit again while in Norfolk.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I love the landscaping of this zoo. They are doing upgrades presently. The train is very nostalgic. Great price. Got to see animals that I have never seen before.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This might be one of the best unknown attractions in the area. Lots of great animals and a wonderful little train that shows them off!