“A giant park with an animal or two thrown in” 1 of 5 bubbles

Norfolk Passport to Fun
Ranked #5 of 68 things to do in Norfolk
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A giant park with an animal or two thrown in”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My 2-year-old loves zoos/animals. So every time we're on vacation, we find a day to visit a local zoo. The Virginia Zoo in Norfolk is perhaps one of the worst Zoos we've ever visited. If you like open green space, flowers and water fountains, then it's a great place to visit. If you like animals, don't waste your time.

As other reviewers mentioned VERY few of the exhibits in the zoo actually contained animals. Most were empty enclosures or closed down completely for "refurbishment". I could probably count the number of animals we saw during our 2-hour trip on one hand and several the walking paths dead-ended, making us double-back along the same empty encloses twice.

Complete waste of money and time. But hey, parking was free, - that's gotta be worth something, right? If you're in the Virginia Beach area, I'd highly recommend you skip this and head over to Hunt Club Farm where you'll see many more animals for a fraction of the price.

5 Thank siburjunkee

IL
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“not as good as other zoos”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

we walked the entire zoo in 3 hours...this included all exhibits, a train ride and lunch...
lunch was ok. it took 15 minutes for my son's corn dog to cook...annoying!
many exhibits were closed and under construction.
I felt soooo bad for the elephants. they were in a small enclosure and could barely turn around with the 2 of them in there. no one was even there working on the new exhibit...made me angry to see. farm area was closed. other animal exhibits had just 1-2 animals and you could never find them in the exhibit. we did see and LOVE one red panda.
this zoo doesn't compare with brookfield and san diego zoos...but we did like all of the gardens throughout the zoo.

Chesapeake, Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Where's the animals?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I went on Sunday. I saw only a few animals. Most of the animals were either sleeping in the shade or not in their enclosures. The Barnyard and the elephants enclosure were closed for renovations. Very disappionted. On days like that, I think the zoo should charge half price admission.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money or your time!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

The zoo has very few animals, only a fourth or fifth were even out and visible and half the exhibits were closed or under construction. A total disappointment!!

3 Thank Jtafmedik
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A lot of exhibits closed, what a waste of money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

It took less than an hour to walk around this zoo that was missing a good bit of the exhibits. For ten dollars a head I could have gone to the movies for 2 hours and had a lot more fun. They should have discounted the tickets and told us upfront. We feel deceived !

3 Thank mintmotors