“Wonderful Service, Great Food”

219 An American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
219 An American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 733 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brooke Ave
Description: 219 an American Bistro continues downtown Norfolk's tradition of chef inspired and locally owned restaurants. With its location central to the vibrant downtown district, 219 an American Bistro is the place to see and be seen. The cuisine is American with an Asian twist and the ambiance upscale but never pretentious.
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I recently dined at the 219 during a family outing an the experience was one that I would recommend to anyone looking for a higher end yet still casual dining experience. The bistro is located right in the center of Norfolk tucked in a corner location amidst several other dining options in the immediate area. I must have driven past it numerous times before and never really noticed it there.

The atmosphere inside the restaurant manages to combine an upscale restaurant feel and a feeling of laid-back and fun hospitality. The greeters and waitstaff are very upbeat and helpful and the most noticeable trait for the entire staff is that everyone was smiling and seemed to legitimately enjoy working there which is a nice atmosphere to be around. Our waiter was also extremely knowledgeable about the food and the wine list and was able to give some very good recommendations that turned out to be excellent.

The good itself is terrific. Not many places in the US know how to properly prepare duck breast and 219 nailed it. The blueberry sauce that it is served with is also phenomenal. My only complaint is that the vegetables, most noticeably the potatoes were slightly undercooked but aside from that, I greatly enjoyed my meal. I must also add that their she-crab soup is to die for!

A very pleasant dining dining experience that I would recommend to anyone in the area!

ronvabea, Owner at 219 An American Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thanks so much for your review, I will definitely pass your comments on to our staff. I apologize for the vegetables being undercooked, and will talk to our executive chef about it.
The next time you were in, please ask for Ron ,since I would like to say Hi.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Three of us recently dined at the 219 Bistro and could not have made a better choice. Two of us had the crab cake entree and one had the broiled seafood plate which included a nice selection of seafood (crab cake, scallops, shrimp, fish etc). The food was delicious, our waiter, Leo was wonderful with good suggestions for wine etc. and the ambiance was perfect for a relaxed, enjoyable dining experience. We ate in two other popular restaurants (one more expensive and one less expensive) in downtown Norfolk and this bistro was by far the best for food, service and value!!

ronvabea, Owner at 219 An American Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thanks so much for your fantastic review. I have passed your comments along to Leo. He was very happy. We have also made it a part of his employ file.
Thanks Again.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We were in Norfolk to attend the Tattoo in April 2014. We wanted to dine within walking distance of the Downtown Residence Inn. Every place we tried was booked. This place is a little too far for a walk, but they have valet parking.
The food was good, the she crab soup was wonderful. The service was friendly and efficient. The restaurant has a small amount of outside seating, but that part was filled. It is a little noisy inside at the front, but the decibels drop at the back of the restaurant.

The food is American, the servings are large. I had soup and an appetizer for dinner. That was more than enough.

ronvabea, Owner at 219 An American Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thanks so much for your review. Feedback is very important to us. I agree that from time to time when we are busy the front of the restaurant can get loud.We are looking into putting some baffels on the ceiling. I'm glad you were able to find quiter seating in the back .
The crab soup is one of my favorites so i'm glad you enjoyed it . On your next visit please ask for Ron, I would Love to stop over and say Hello.

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Dinner for five late in the evening. All had seafood, all satisfied. Very good she-crab soup to start and excellwnt seadood platter. Service OK, restaurant fifties style, would consider coming back.

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Best crab cake I have ever eaten! Very friendly wait staff. Know enough about menu to make suggestions. Unless you are very hungry, share an appetizer or forgo. We shared one and I still could not finish my dinner. The crabcake was HUGE! Will go again.