“PERFECTION!”

219 An American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
219 An American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 711 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brooke Ave
Description: 219 an American Bistro continues downtown Norfolk's tradition of chef inspired and locally owned restaurants. With its location central to the vibrant downtown district, 219 an American Bistro is the place to see and be seen. The cuisine is American with an Asian twist and the ambiance upscale but never pretentious.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“PERFECTION!”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

After reading the reviews we decided to try this restaurant and it was wonerful in every way! There were four in our party and we ordered the pear and fried pecan encrusted goat cheese salad (very special), a ceasar salad, the scallop dinner, the seafood platter, the steak dinner, a flounder dinner, the lemon cheesecake with bluberries. It was a special night, my son's 23rd birthday and everything we had looked great and tasted even better than it looked ! Our waiter was Mark and he was very attentive, we never had to ask for anything because he brought it to us before we could ask. What more could we ask for, the BEST sweet potato fries I've ever had. We have lived in Virgina for 14 years and this is now my favorite place to eat for special occasions.

• Visited March 2011

Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful food - enjoyed the seafood”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We were looking for a spot to dine near the Wells Theater and found this wonderful restaurant. It was a nice fine dining experience. We all had soup - crab corn chowder was wonderful. The seafood dishes were exceptional (crab cakes, seafood platter, grouper) and homemade chicken ravioli. The dessert was also wonderful trying the chocolate ganache cake (very rich) and sorbet portions are huge (pomegranate sorbet and green tea sorbet). And service was exceptional.

• Visited March 2011
Murrieta, California
“Excellent food and Excellent service! What more could you ask for?”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stumbled upon this restaurant while looking for dessert after a horrible dinner at "Freemason Abbey" (see other review). The staff was amazing and knowledgeable; everyone from the hostess to the bartender knew the menu and gave great recommendations. We were quite pleased to find out all the desserts were either made in house or by a woman who bakes for the restaurant, a wonderful change from the Sysco desserts we find so often in Southern California! We ordered our dessert to go and promised to come back for lunch before we left. The coconut cream cake was exquisite and the cherry chocolate cake was to die for. Needless to say we returned for lunch the day we were leaving. We had an amazing bowl of corn and crab chowder made with fresh local crab, a perfectly seasoned and sauced pulled pork sandwich, and one of the most succulent lobster rolls I have ever had outside of New England :) This is definitely a must stop for any visit to Downtown Norfolk! Actually, I think I would stop here if if I were ANYWHERE in the Hampton Roads area, its just that good!!!!

Hampton, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome service!”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My tuna was overcooked and the tables are too close together. Those are the only negatives I could say. My server, Mark, was outstanding! His service made up for any short comings. Will return when Mark is working.

Norfolk, VA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First Timer-Will Return!”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Tried the newly reopened/renamed 219 American Bistro last night. For a Saturday night, there was a good crowd with a good atmosphere. We were able to get seated without reservations, but only because we got there right before 7pm when things picked right up. Really nice wine list, we had a great Pinot Noir and the menu--wow! I appreciate a nice balance of variety on a menu and 219 offers that. We had a seasonal dish, Rock Fish and it was outstanding. I highly recommend you check our their website/menu online. My only complaint (and it isn't anything that would keep me from going back) is that we were "checked on" way too many times and by way to many members of the staff. I wish we hadn't let them know it was our first time there. They are an amazing high end establishment and didn't need to try so hard in my opionion. It was almost as if they were too nervous to just let us enjoy the evening without constantly intervening. They were very sweet and certainly had the best intentions so I can't be to harsh. And trust me, the service itself and the meal was so good it makes this a minor infraction that I am willing to overlook and will certainly go back.