“Norfolk Sushi”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Vienna, Virginia
“Norfolk Sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

I have eaten here 4-6 times of the last 2-3 years and it is always good. Last visit service was great, can be uneven with language issues.

Visited January 2012

Norfolk, Virginia
“Best sushi in Tidewater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

Domo has the freshest, most delicious sushi in the area. I usually have lunch at the bar, but dinner has always been a great experience as well. Generous servings of fish for the sushi lunch. Prompt, efficient service and great location on Granby.

• Visited August 2011
Maureen Phillips
“Wow what a great surprise!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

We spent one night in Norfolk on our way to the Outerbanks. The hotel sent us up to Granby Street with some suggestions but they did not tell us about DOMO. We liked the way it looked and it was hopping when the rest of the strip was empty so we popped in. So glad we did. The food is GREAT. The sushi was not only fresh and delicious, they also had a huge menu of outrageous sushi style treats. We had the Honolulu, Godzilla and Volcano rolls as well as a sushi deluxe. One of the chefs was using a hand torch to sear the outside of the rolls and it makes for an incredible crunchy bite. Some of the rolls are deep fried to perfection too. Fresh crab, cream cheese, asparagus, ketchup and mayo were some of the ingredients used to make these beautiful perfectly spiced creations. The owner thought one of the rolls might be too hot for me and he came over twice to make sure it was to my liking. I assured him it was. I live in New York City and we eat a lot of sushi. This was a real find and I wish he would open a place here. Way to go Domo!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank tojopop
Houston, Texas
“Domo....No Mo.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

I gave this place a shot. It won't get another.

Vibe - Typical Chinese-run sushi neighborhood joint pumping out average quality and sloppy flavors.

Decor - Small and a bit dingy. Probably seats 30 people at tables and about 8 at the sushi bar.

Service - Awful! I sat at the sushi bar for 10 minutes before I was greeted. Ordered a beer. The waiter (and I believe, the owner) delivers the beer and says "I think it's a twist off. Give it a try." I tried. It wasn't. Hey chief, next time save us both some trouble and open the freakin' bottle before you bring it to me. I mean, when's the last time someone brought you an unopened beer at a restaurant.

Service (part II) - Take great care where you sit at the sushi bar. The owner demonstrates more lack of respect and good sense by NOT having a service area for the waitresses to pick up their orders. If you are unfortunate enough to pick the wrong spot you will have waitresses reaching next to, in front of and over you all throughout your meal. At one point a waitress was sticking her armpit in my face as she reached across my face to grab a plate of sushi. Unbelievably rude and obnoxious.

Service (part III) - Keep in mind this place was only at 85% capacity. After placing my order with another waitress I wait about 15 minutes after my edamame are delivered and consumed and one of the sushi chef's asks me, "Have you ordered yet?" Me, "Uh, yea." Chef, "What did you order?" Ten minutes later I finally get my food.

Food - I had edamame which tasted a bit stale and could have been steamed a bit longer, spicy tune sushi which was average to uninteresting and not spicy at all and the butterfly role. The latter is one of their specialty rolls which included temura shrimp wrapped in rice (no nori) and topped real crab (not krab) with a sweet, slightly mayo-y sauce. It's construction seemed a bit haphazard and its flavor was overwhelmed by the sauce. I would have preferred to taste the sweetness of the crab and shrimp.

All in all there is absolutely nothing special about this place. Do not go here looking to satisfy a special night on the town or great sushi.

• Visited November 2011
Virginia
“The best local sushi around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

I love Domo's and eat here regularly. Their sushi is the best around.

Visited June 2011