“Great veal and other dishes with outstanding service”
Review of La Bella in Ghent

La Bella in Ghent
Ranked #95 of 711 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
“Great veal and other dishes with outstanding service”
Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

We live nearby and haven't eaten at this restaurant many times. I saw a number of one stat reviews and knew I needed to provide a review based on our many visits. My wife and I often have veal cappriocia but have had chicken and seafood dishes all of which have been excellent. The wine selection is good with a heavy emphasis on Italian rather than American wines. Wonderful desserts are showcased and the service is attentive. The owner is the chef and he provides hands on oversight to ensure excellent food and service. My wife and I recommend the restaurant highly.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jerry B

North Carolina
“Good service but overpriced meal”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stopped for an early dinner at La Bella as out-of-town guests. An associate who lives in the area had recommended it; so we thought we would give it a try. The waiter was fairly attentive and friendly, and the atmosphere was congenial enough.

We are vegetarians, so we were restricted to meatless, cheese-based menu items. I had the Involtini Di Melanzane, which was filling enough for me--two breaded stuffed eggplant pieces, but was a little pricey ($10.99) for an appetizer. My dining partner had the Eggplant Parmigiana for $17.99, which was about the same thing I had and of about the same quantity, except spaghetti came with it. Both our plates were drowning in sauce, and we had to remove some of the overabundant cheese. I also expected some above-average Italian bread in an Italian restaurant; this definitely was a disappointment--thin, small, and flavorless pieces of toasted (but not warm) bread.

Next time we're in town, I think we'll pass on La Bella.

• Visited July 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Not a good value for money.”
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

They charge you too much and they don't bring you what they should. The staff are pretty helpful, and the service is good, don't get me wrong. But I had dessert, and pasta, my friend had pizza. None of them satisfied our expectations. The good thing is the bread they bring you as appetizers. That's the only good thing about this place.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Yasmin l
Richmond, Virginia
“Chef owned--designed for repeat customers, not one time tourists”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This restaurant is tucked away in a small strip mall near the historic neighborhood of Ghent in Norfolk.. The food is delicious and carefully crafted. Although it is not listed on the menu, gluten free pasta is available for all of the pasta dishes. The service was attentive, but not intrusive.The chocolate flourless torte is very dense and best when paired with the strawberry gelato.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank 4Norma
“Excellent food and service!”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We were staying in Norfolk for the weekend and went there for dinner. The food was excellent and our waitress really took care of us. Phenomenal menu selection! One of the best places we've gone to eat at in Norfolk.

• Visited April 2014