“Why eat in Sicily when you can eat here?” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Norfolk, Virginia
“Why eat in Sicily when you can eat here?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

A few evenings ago, my lady and I dined at La Bella’s for the first time. We each had an apple martini (pina coladas are not made). My lady had Shrimp Fra Diavola - (Spicy) Shrimp sauteed with Tomatoes, Red Crush Pepper and Cherry Peppers, Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and tossed with Spaghetti. I had Linguine Frutti Di Mare - Calamari, Shrimp, Clams, sauteed with Garlic, Olive Oil, Tomatoes, Red Crush Pepper and Parsley served over Linguine. These entres were DE-licious. The bread is freshly baked …’from scratch’ … at the restaurant … and is addictively good. We shared tiramisu (restaurant made) for dessert.

As we were dining, we were joined by two of her cousins and it became a family affair. The bottom line is that our entrés at La Bella’s were simply outstanding. I wouldn’t want any dish more tasty, because I’d eat until I popped. At La Bella’s, they make all of their food from scratch and call it ‘Sicilian’ … with pride. From my experience, the food is definitely worth boasting. I’ll be back!

• Visited October 2012

“Never, Ever Disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Lively, great service and food, reasonably priced. I always have a hard time deciding what to have, 'cause everything is great.

Hampton, Virginia
“Surprising...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

...As I'd heard a lot of positive buzz about this place, I was looking forward to using my Pilot online voucher. I liked the atmosphere, although it was almost too dim to read the menu. I was able to "borrow" a pair of reading glasses, which made it much better. Our pregnant wait person was an absolute delight, very accomodating. We started with the eggplant appetizer which was delectable--the sauce was good, which is saying alot from me, as I don't like tomato sauces of any kind. I had a veal dish; my husband chicken. You could tell he liked mine better than his, and commented on that fact. Although my dish was good with a pasta substitution, the best part about the meal was the bread, which boasted a perfect crust, fresh out of the oven. My husband ordered a cappuchino after the meal, which he complained was absolutely horrible--weak, no coffee taste. We had it taken off of the bill. But the one thing which really destroyed the experience for me was the little mouse I almost stepped on, which was running around on the patio. Neddless to say, we won't return...guess I must try the top rated Italian in Norfolk to eradicate that experience. I was truly surprised, and a bit upset...we were celebrating my husband's birthday a couple of days early--good thing it wasn't REALLY the day, but the day before!

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Moyock, North Carolina
“Fantastic food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

I went there yesterday for lunch with a friend and my kids. I had a sandwich (which was huge) on this wonderful soft fresh bread with procuitto, artichokes, roasted red peppers, and fresh mozzerella. It was soooo good. We sat outside on their patio which was great for the kids to be noisy. I got some tiramisu to go, which was good, but a bit small for the $5 asking price (in my opinion). I can't wait to go back and try the pasta. The service was fantastic. We will return.

• Visited June 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Squisito”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Very good meal!

The pasta was some of the best I've had in a while. The tomato sauce was simple and perfect - just like authentic Italian food. Service was friendly.

I gave it a 'very good' because while the pasta was excellent, it was definitely not 'fine dining'. The restaurant atmosphere is a bit strange - it feels more like a deli/bakery at the entrance than a restaurant. The service was very friendly, but quirky and more familiar than I'd prefer at a restaurant. The wine selection is rather mediocre and doesn't include many Italian wines (a big negative for me).

Still - I'd go back. Did I say the pasta sauce (I had the gnocchi) was phenomenal?

• Visited May 2012