“Very, Very Smoky!”

Cuisines: European, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

A few years ago, we used to come here often before heading to the symphony. The restaurant was always packed; the food, hot and delicious. My husband and I recently came for a date night at eight o'clock on a Friday night. The place was deserted. It was a bit weird. One couple came in, sat down, took a look at the prices and left. Later, as we ate our food in the empty dining room, the staff came out and loudly regaled each other with stories as they did a tasting at a nearby table.

**If you are sensitive to smoke, this is probably not the place for you. The place smelled like they had just hosted a convention of chain smoking monks. In fact, my husband is pretty sure he saw some puffs of smoke coming from the back.**

The food was good, although the wiener schnitzel was dry. The chef let us taste his version of sauerkraut. It was pretty good (this coming from a non-sauerkraut loving person). The cheese, bread and apple are a great touch. We had a wonderful, capable waiter.

If they air the place out, we would come again.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Romantic little spot. Great for a date. Good food, desserts and wine.Nice decor and atmosphere.Try the chicken paprikash.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I had dinner at the Monastery last night as part of Restaurant week in Norfolk Virginia. We have dined here occasionally over the years and most of our visits have been enjoyable. On this occasion our dining experience was mixed at best. As requested we made a reservation for dinner and arrived on time and were seated in a corner of the restaurant out of the normal path of traffic and the wait staff. We were served bread with cheese and an apple (a very nice snack while waiting for dinner). It was another 20 minutes before I was able to get the attention of a waiter (only when he was attending to a couple seated next to us that had just been seated) and finally receive a menu and wine list. We ordered drinks, a chocolate Martini for my wife a wine for me, the waiter returned shortly with the drinks and apologized for not having chocolate liqueur for the martini, He made up his own concoction which according to my wife was quite tasty. We ordered dinner shrimp cocktail for an appetizer. For a main course my wife ordered the Chicken Pastiche (I think that was the name of it) and I ordered the Escalope de Veau aux Champignons Garnie. I asked the waiter what came with the meal and he indicated a fried potato and Broccoli, for dessert we both wanted the Crepe aux Groseilles Flambes but we were informed that the chef was not making that dessert (although it was on the menu), we opted for the Palacinky and Hot Apple Strudel Sauce Vanille. The main course was brought to us and my dinner came to the table with neither the broccoli or potato. My wife enjoyed her chicken dinner and found it flavorful and tender. My dinner although informed by the waiter that it was supposed to be veal medallions in a savory brown sauce was in realty stew beef cubes in a brown gravy that was very bland. The desserts were excellent. After our initial problems with the waitstaff our service was excellent with our waiter being very efficient and attentive. Overall this was not our best experience at the Monastery, but we will give it another shot in the future.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

One of my favorites. Eastern European (Hungarian and Czech) dishes are not standard fare so this place is a nice change. Everything is freshly prepared and the staff and owners always make you feel like you are family.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stopped by here for dinner while on a business trip, based on previous Trip Advisor reviews.

I'm glad I paid these guys a visit; had no idea the owner would actually be in the kitchen preparing my meal from scratch (or that the guy actually bakes his own bread, too). It felt less like a restaurant and more like I was visiting someone's house. Think: home-cooked food level of quality.

Enjoyed talking to the staff and the owners - I'll definitely stop by again the next time I'm in Norfolk.