“Fantastic Service, Meal Disappointment”

Monastery Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 711 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: European, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Norfolk, Virginia
“Fantastic Service, Meal Disappointment”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were a first time Groupon visitor. Excited about the family going to eat an authentic meal filled with Character. The service from the onset was Fantastic. The meal selections with the exception of one were ethnically described. Very sweet location and one I would recommend for desert and coffee/tea but nothing more. First meal was described as large cuts of venison(being hunters expecting something the size of a pork chop) in a cream sauce. What came to the table looked like military SOS but had a pleasing flavor. Second meal was stuffed cabbage that by itself was very tasty but the sauce as described as a sweet tomato sauce tasted like Tomato Soup from a can. Third meal was Pasta Florentine with Chicken added that was a hit. My meal was a Sirloin with a red wine reduction med well (ordered med rare) with the no hint of wine and tasted like a deep rue gravy. The Sirloin was over 1/2 gristle. When pointing it out to the waiter and stating this meal was very disappointing and he could physically see there was a problem, I believe he was met with embarrassment. We spent 30 dollars for a 60 dollar Groupon. No desert this time. our bill came to 102 + dip minus the 60. The add on's were a cup of hot tea and a side salad served on a 6 inch plate that consisted of a fist full of romaine lettuce and two tomato wedges...price-$4.95. While there were some pluses with this restaurant, I would never recommend it as anything but for desert and coffee. We did sense the ethnic taste or the unique taste we were looking for especially with a steak dinner that was 24.95. The ticket was not compensated for the poor quality sirloin cut nor even suggested. Sad. We were looking for a truly wonderful experience.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Andi L

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Quaint little spot”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A quaint spot for a romantic dinner for two.
My husband and I enjoyed an early Valentine's dinner at the Monastery Restaurant.
The service was very nice and so was the servers.
The food was wonderful. My husband had veal and I had pork; cooked to perfection.
We had a very relaxing dinner. We look forward to going back.
Thank you.

• Visited February 2013
Chesapeake, VA
“Wonderful Flavors”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We recently had dinner here during restaurant week, enjoying a 3-course meal. Each course was well-prepared and the flavor of the pork entree was outstanding. I topped the meal off with Black Forest cake which was very light and a perfect ending to the meal.

• Visited January 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good value during restaurant week”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The friendly, attentive staff is the best thing about this restaurant, and that's high praise because the food is terrific. A business associate and I were bored with the seafood and sushi scene in the Granby eatery area and decided to get some food that paired well with red wine for a change. We ordered a couple glasses of Egri Bikaver (the virtual house wine, from Hungary) and decided on the Restaurant week special, three courses for $30. After a generous portion of a rich potato-leek soup, our entrees were the goulash and a smoked sausage with browned potato slices and a sweet, brothy sauerkraut. Everything was delicious and the portions were ample, especially considering the fixed price. The menu and specials also included several other dishes we would have like to try, including a number of game specialties. The desserts were well presented and delivered promptly, though I'm guessing the were not produced on site since they didn't have that "fresh baked" feel. Again, our server was outstanding, willing to engage in actual conversation, frank about menu items, kept our water glasses filled and nothing we asked for took more than a couple minutes to hit the table, apart from the entrees.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank billy_pack
Berkshire
“A let down”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were at a business conference and for a group of us I became the person willing to choose each night's restaurant. After reading reviews and remembering this restaurant from a previous visit I booked the Abbey restaurant. The staff were very helpful in describing and translating the dishes on the menu. Unfortunately the food was what i would call Eastern European (very bland) and not very appetizing to look at. None of our party enjoyed the food and three of us only ate a mouthful. The waitress did ask if we did not like the food, our unfavourable response did not seem to get any reaction. I cannot recommend this restaurant , we were disappointed and I got a lot of ribbing until the next evening when we had a great meal (in another local restaurant)

• Visited December 2012