“Quaint little spot”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Quaint little spot”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A quaint spot for a romantic dinner for two.
My husband and I enjoyed an early Valentine's dinner at the Monastery Restaurant.
The service was very nice and so was the servers.
The food was wonderful. My husband had veal and I had pork; cooked to perfection.
We had a very relaxing dinner. We look forward to going back.
Thank you.

• Visited February 2013

Chesapeake, VA
“Wonderful Flavors”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We recently had dinner here during restaurant week, enjoying a 3-course meal. Each course was well-prepared and the flavor of the pork entree was outstanding. I topped the meal off with Black Forest cake which was very light and a perfect ending to the meal.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good value during restaurant week”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The friendly, attentive staff is the best thing about this restaurant, and that's high praise because the food is terrific. A business associate and I were bored with the seafood and sushi scene in the Granby eatery area and decided to get some food that paired well with red wine for a change. We ordered a couple glasses of Egri Bikaver (the virtual house wine, from Hungary) and decided on the Restaurant week special, three courses for $30. After a generous portion of a rich potato-leek soup, our entrees were the goulash and a smoked sausage with browned potato slices and a sweet, brothy sauerkraut. Everything was delicious and the portions were ample, especially considering the fixed price. The menu and specials also included several other dishes we would have like to try, including a number of game specialties. The desserts were well presented and delivered promptly, though I'm guessing the were not produced on site since they didn't have that "fresh baked" feel. Again, our server was outstanding, willing to engage in actual conversation, frank about menu items, kept our water glasses filled and nothing we asked for took more than a couple minutes to hit the table, apart from the entrees.

1 Thank billy_pack
Berkshire
“A let down”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were at a business conference and for a group of us I became the person willing to choose each night's restaurant. After reading reviews and remembering this restaurant from a previous visit I booked the Abbey restaurant. The staff were very helpful in describing and translating the dishes on the menu. Unfortunately the food was what i would call Eastern European (very bland) and not very appetizing to look at. None of our party enjoyed the food and three of us only ate a mouthful. The waitress did ask if we did not like the food, our unfavourable response did not seem to get any reaction. I cannot recommend this restaurant , we were disappointed and I got a lot of ribbing until the next evening when we had a great meal (in another local restaurant)

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank sirflashpoint
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
“Great service, great food, great experience!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We tried Monastery as part of Norfolk Restaurant Week. It's a small, cozy place, about 20-24 tables. New to Czech cuisine, we relied heavily on the tremendous expertise of our fantastic server Alan. He was friendly, patient, attentive, and incredibly knowledgeable, answering all of our questions in depth. Bread and cheese come with the meal, and the house cheese blend of havarti(?), provolone, onion, and garlic was really good. I had the potato and leek soup, which was hot and flavourful, with a creamy texture. The steak tartare was a delight to the palate, which I savored while trying to pick out the individual flavours. Dessert was a raspberry fruit dumpling, a boiled gooey, buttery, sugary, tasty ball of pleasure. My wife had the Quiche Lorraine, and while real men don't eat quiche, I snuck a bite and it was really good too. Alan piqued our curiosity with descriptions of many of the other entrees, so we'll definitely have to go back. It was a great experience overall - I'll definitely recommend it to anyone!