“Restaurant week visit”

Omar's Carriage House
Ranked #10 of 700 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Located in the historic Freemason neighborhood of downtown Norfolk, Omar's offers lunch, dinner and brunch in the charming atmosphere of an old, original Carriage House. Specializing in homemade salads, desserts, offering a wide range of meats and seafood and always offering specials on food and wine, Omar's is a must-visit in Norfolk!
“Restaurant week visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Each restaurant week we try places we haven't been. That is the point, right?
I scanned the reviews before heading to Omar's (friends had already chosen the spot) and wasn't too impressed by others' experiences.

Arriving at Omar's, the ambiance is quaint and friendly. It was packed, and I am not sure if that is due to the discount meal or if it is normally crowded.

In any case, service was friendly but slow. The discount menu selection was decent.
My choices:
The fried green tomato appetizer was very tasty!
The NY strip plate was good although everything besides my steak was cold. I left that and finished off the warm meat.
The chocolate soufflé dessert was a little dry to start but once you chip/dig through the crust, deep enough, it was moist and tasty.

Overall, I think the night was decent. I would probably come back to try the regular menu at a time that wasn't so crowded/restaurant week with hopes that the food was not pre-plated and cold because the flavor was great.

Another time maybe!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank bazrj

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Pleasant atmosphere. Good food. Good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Interesting menu. Chicken barbeque special was good. Homemade potato salad delicious.
Pleasant atmosphere. Easy to converse at lunchtime.
Service was good. A good balance of being proactively available without hovering.

Norfolk, Virginia
“Nice brunch spot in the neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I hadn't been to Omar's in ages.Three other friends joined me on a Sunday around noon for brunch. We didn't have a reservation, but were quickly seated. I love the cozy atmosphere. The food and service were good. I will definitely return for a meal at any time of the day. It's a nice change from the Ghent/Granby St. grind. I liked the Grapefruit Mimosa. They also brought small slices of coffee cake prior to your meal.

• Visited January 2014
Norfolk, Virginia
“Service was disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Went for brunch and we were greeting very rudely. Being an hour before the kitchen closed we were told our orders needed to be in by 3 as the kitchen closed then. In addition we were never asked if we wanted more drink just ignored as half the table had finished eatting before the bartender as if I liked my food which was fishy. When I told him this it wss like I was being an inconvenience. The other other individuals at the table did like their food.

• Visited February 2013
Glossop, United Kingdom
“Small is beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

A small restaurant with a great atmosphere. Excellent food & wine, great service, all at a reasonable price.

• Visited September 2013