“Early Dinner”

Freemason Abbey Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 712 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in a 140 year-old renovated church, Freemason Abbey Restaurant has been a local's favorite in the heart of downtown Norfolk for 23 years. Freemason Abbey is closed New Years Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Early Dinner”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had dinner here before going to Scope for a performance. Excellent location. Dinner was very good!

• Visited April 2014

Dallas, Texas
“Awesome setting”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The historic building is great and the food and service was wonderful. We enjoyed the evening very much.

Marietta, Georgia
“Great food and service in a unique setting”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Had a great meal with friends and highly recommend this restaurant. Menu had a great selection, food was above average and service was spot on. We especially enjoyed the ambience of the abbey setting. Be sure to make a reservation as it fills up quickly!

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Elk Chops!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

This past weekend was our first visit to Freemason Abbey. I had heard their ads on local radio and they sounded pretty good. It was Saturday and we had family visiting from out of town. We’d planned on going to diner elsewhere, but each of the (several) places we called didn’t have any tables at the times we wanted. We were at MacArthur Center Mall and being unfamiliar with restaurants in downtown Norfolk, we asked some of the employees at Williams-Sonoma for recommendations. Freemason Abbey was the first to offer table for four at the time we desired, so the reservations was made.

It was easy to drive to via GPS and they offer free parking; at plus for downtown. We arrived earlier than our reservations, but a table was ready on the mezzanine level. Drinks and Calamari for the table were ordered, as we looked over the menu. Freemason Abbey offers a “Wild Game” night on Fridays and fortunately there were a few leftovers. I could not pass up trying Elk Chops. My dad ordered Wild Boar, my wife two 4-oz lobster tails and stepmother She-Crab soup and a steak salad. Three of the four meals were great, but the steak accompanying the salad was way overdone. When brought to the attention of our waitress, she prompted ordered a replacement, which was properly prepared.

Service was very good and the prices fair for the quality and innovation to serve dishes off the beaten path in addition to the tried and true American favorites.

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Gorgeous outside, delicious inside!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I loved this restaurant before I even stepped inside! On my many trips from the Williamsburg area to Norfolk for appointments I always admired the Abbey from the outside because it's just so breathtaking, being a converted church. My family and I finally decided to give it a try on our latest trip to Norfolk and it did not disappoint. First, we were all impressed at the lunch prices and portions. Much more affordable than what we were expecting and the portions were generous, especially for lunch. I ordered the half California Turkey Club with a cup of the French Onion Style Soup. MMmm, I keep wanting to go back to eat just writing about it again! The club was one of the best sandwiches I've had in a LONG time and it was very filling with the (delicious and cheesy) soup on the side. The Calif. club consisted of a generous portion of turkey, bacon, cucumber (LOVE a place that puts cucumbers on a sandwich), tzatziki sauce, and the usual fixins. Simply delicious. The rest of my party enjoyed their meals too (a reuben, caesar salad, another salad with salmon).

I just can't say enough good things about this place, from the historic and charming outside to the beautiful details inside to the amazing food. The atmosphere will draw you in but the food will keep you coming back!