“Top-notch meal”

Freemason Abbey Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 722 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in a 140 year-old renovated church, Freemason Abbey Restaurant has been a local's favorite in the heart of downtown Norfolk for 23 years. Freemason Abbey is closed New Years Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We celebrated my daughter's graduation here during peak hours of a weekend night and were delighted with the evening. We arrived a little early and our table was ready. The service was excellent, the wait staff attentive without making us feel rushed. We ate upstairs in an attractive dining room. Everyone was well satisfied with each course, and we sampled a variety of foods, from steak to seafood to pasta to ribs. It was our first visit but definitely won't be our last.

There are newer reviews for Freemason Abbey Restaurant

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Freemason Abbey, almost everyone knows by now, is an old church, converted to a stylish restaurant. The bar area is tops with the stained glass windows remaining. For an awesome date night or special dinner, ask for the table upstairs closest to the stained glass. Otherwise the restaurant is spacious, clean, and charming. It's got an elegant feel to it, yet it is completely fine for the most casual of tourists for lunch.
The food here is consistently good. We stopped in yesterday, and the Waldorf chicken salad was tasty as usual, with a side of amazingly good fries. My fiancee' had the salmon with asparagus. The salmon was cooked to perfection, the mashed potatoes excellent, and the veggies were fresh. The one minor complaint would be the slightly tinny taste of the crab that topped the salmon. The portions are generous, and the prices are more than reasonable. You can eat here and get far more for your dining dollar. Skip the routine, run of the mill chain restaurants over at the mall. Trust me, a few blocks makes a big difference.
This is the third time I've dined here, and the food and service are consistently good. Lunch for two with soda came in at under 30 dollars. We didn't order dessert, but when we saw the slice of cheesecake going by, we wished we'd saved room! Good luck with that at some of the chain restaurants who charge far more for skimpier portions. We left full and satisfied.
Go ahead with that special dinner or first date, or just treat yourself to a nice lunch or dinner. I plan to take my mother here for her birthday when she visits from out of state. It's perfectly charming. If you are local, they have a dedicated diner program that is worth joining. They also have a website where you can check out the menu and specials. Enjoy.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I decided to try Freemason Abbey for our anniversary and were very pleased with the quality of the service and food. The menu had much to offer and the portions were surprisingly large. If you look for the regular specials you can definitely have a quality dinner at a minimal price. Excellent desserts!

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have been coming to Hampton Rhodes area for over 20 years and have enjoyed many a dinner out...this was one of the best we have had in quite some time. Food, service, atmosphere and value were excellent...really no compaints. We had appetizers, glass of wine and entrees that were cooked to order, fresh and delicious. Local fried oysters melted in your mouth as did the filet mignon. Crab cakes were full and tasty. Unique setting and ambiance make it a great romantic or quiet celebrattion spot. To the owners and staff...keep up this great dining experience...we'll be back.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We picked up our daughter and her family at the Norfolk Airport and took them to this restaurant for dinner. Parking was convenient behind their establishment. Our family has some picky eaters but the menu was so varied it was satisfying to all. Their anniversary fixed prixe menu was excellent. The wait staff was courteous and efficient. The food was well prepared and delicious. Sitting in an old Abbey made the experience complete. I inadvertantly left my purse on the back of my chair and by the time I realized it the restaurant was closed. I sent them an email message off of their website and the next morning I received a response that the purse would be waiting for me when I arrived. The staff who returned my purse stated that the people who run the restaurant are known for their honesty and that the personnel are the same way.