“Horrible Experience but nice look”

Ranked #3 of 711 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in a 140 year-old renovated church, Freemason Abbey Restaurant has been a local's favorite in the heart of downtown Norfolk for 23 years. Freemason Abbey is closed New Years Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Horrible Experience but nice look”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I dined here last night for Norfolk restaurant week 2013 and were very displeased with the service and the food. Our server clearly did not want to have another table. I am not sure if she was about to leave or what but it showed and really started our dinner off very wrong. When we asked her questions about some of the food she didnt even know and had to ask another server who answered right off top. I had a caesar salad and I swear that caesar dressing was spoiled or rotten. I only had 2 bites and couldnt even have more. I didnt complain though cause she was already in a bad mood. My husbands smoked chicken rolls were a crappy version of southwestern rolls with a horrible dipping sauce. Now onto the entree. he had the ribeye which he ordered medium but came well done. I ordered the lobster linguine. She told me that they were out of linguine and it would come with fettucine. I was a little shocked when it came out with penne pasta and it was stone cold. I asked her to heat it up and she did but gave me a side look of disgust. i had had enough by then. When she bought it back out we asked for our check. She all of a suddne turned nice and asked if there was a problem. I just said no and asked if they could box up our desserts. I took a few bits of the rubbery lobster and decided it was time to go. When we walked in we were not expecting the poor service or food because of how nice the place looked. Needless to say looks can be deceiving. The atmosphere was nice and the only thing we really liked was the candles on the tables. we ended up giving our children the desserts which they loved

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank mzlita
Lori M, Manager at Freemason Abbey Restaurant, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Wow - I cannot apologize enough for the horrible dining experience you had this past Sunday for Restaurant Week. I am extremely embarrassed that we failed in so many ways. I have been here as the Executive General Manager for almost 16 years and I appreciate your feedback because I'll do whatever it takes to make sure we are better than what you experienced. Please, if I may ask, will you supply more details by emailing us at info@freemasonabbey.com? I would appreciate knowing your servers name (or what they looked like) or at least if you were seated upstairs or downstairs. Our guests patronage and our reputation are very important to us.

Again, your feedback is very appreciated and taken seriously. Please also email your mailing address for I want to invite you back to experience us again. We would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again, as well.

Lori Maddux
Executive General Manager

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible, huge disappointment”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Nice waitress but bad overall customer service because of the rude manager, ok food but slightly overcooked. However those things aside, the worst part was when we saw rats under the tables, quickly left, enough said!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank M A
I am the Executive Manager at Freemason Abbey and I want to apologize for your not having an exceptional dining experience on your recent visit. I know you did not see rats under the table but I feel you must have been extremely upset & disappointed in how you were treated for you to go that far. Your feedback can only help us to improve. Please, if I may ask, will you supply more details by emailing us at info@freemasonabey.com. I would really appreciate knowing more.

Lori Maddux
Executive Manager
Norfolk, Virginia
“Beautifully re-purposed church, just ok food.”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I've given this place multiple tries over the last few years, but the menu just hasn't impressed me that much. Its ok, but nothing seems to really stand out. Luckily, its not too expensive, and you can always just drop by the bar for a drink and admire the architecture.

Norfolk, Virginia, United States
“best in town”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I've been to Freemason Abbey several times and have always had a great meal. Some of the best food I've ever had.

• Visited January 2013
“Meh.”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Expensive. Very large room. Poor service. Unexceptional food. Very disappointing. We went there with the family including young children. Not a place for them.

Visited August 2012