“Old church fashioned into a restaurant”

Freemason Abbey Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 732 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in a 140 year-old renovated church, Freemason Abbey Restaurant has been a local's favorite in the heart of downtown Norfolk for 23 years. Freemason Abbey is closed New Years Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Great ambience-wonderful server ( Devon-sp?) who was so friendly and nice-recommend.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Went there with my wife before seeing Wicked at Chrysler Hall. Friday nights are Game Night and they had an Ostrich Steak and a Gator Linguine. My wife went with the Gator while I debated between the Lobster and the Filet Mignon, finally deciding on the steak.

Her meal was excellent, served with a Tequila Lime Habenero sauce. My filet mignon was kind of standard fare, served with a nice peppercorn sauce but nothing memorable. Of course I'm near the point of abandoning steaks at restaurants cause I can do them better at home.

The atmosphere was nice (we went there kind of early at 6pm) and the wait staff was good.

Average entrees were in the low $20s.

My wife would give this 4 or 5 stars, and maybe next time I go it'll get bumped up as I try something different.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is definately a place to check out if you are ever in Norfolk Virginia. It used to be an old church and was converted to a restaurant. Within walking distance of Nauticus and The Battleship Wisconsin (tourist attractions). Excellent food and service.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

I had a crab cake sandwich that was the worst I have ever eaten.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Atmosphere very nice, service very good, food is on pricey side
however that is because the quality dictates that
the broiled seafood platter for $22 is to die for
the ribs for $16 also very good
on monday nights they have 2 for $20 thats affordable
also specials on other nights

1  Thank david f