“It's an old church.”

Freemason Abbey Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 729 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in a 140 year-old renovated church, Freemason Abbey Restaurant has been a local's favorite in the heart of downtown Norfolk for 23 years. Freemason Abbey is closed New Years Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Reviewed December 27, 2011

The food is good, but the real draw is the building. This restaurant is housed in an old church building.

1  Thank Sandra G

Reviewed November 18, 2011

This place is beautiful, the food, however was just okay. My meal the chicken asiago was dry and had a slice of deli ham instead of a carved ham as menued. Other diners in my party complained the crabcake had alot of shell in it. No one came out to apologize and on one at our table was offered dessert.

1  Thank ChefHawk
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I highly recommend the Freemason Abbey. My friend and I found out about it from a brochure at our hotel. We tried to go to dinner on a Wednesday night before a concert, but it was too crowded. I highly recommend making a reservation if you want to go for dinner, especially if there is an event at the Scope Arena as it is only a few blocks away. We ended up going for lunch the following day and it was a great experience. Our server was very nice, knowledgable and attentive (our water glasses never were empty!). We ordered the crab dip for an appetizer, crab cakes for lunch (I subsituted the black beans for green beans which were great) and a peanut butter and chocolate cake for dessert. Rolls also came with our lunch. It cost $40 before tip for the entire lunch. We thought it was worth every penny. The food was delicious and was presented nicely. The atmosphere is really nice and it's a good stop whether you are ready for a night on the town or stopping by before or after some sight seeing.

1  Thank Lorrxa99
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Freemason Abbey is a regular choice for us when dining out...We have never been disappointed...The ambiance, the serving staff and the menu are consistant...When in Norfolk, plan to dine at the Freemason Abbey...Once you do, you will return...

1  Thank brandigirl93
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I had been wanting to try this restaurant for a little bit so my husband and I tried it out this past week. I think the only positives about this restaurant were the unique setting and furniture. Other than that, our experience was awful.

We arrived at 7:30 and were seated promptly. Until about 7:45 everything was going pretty well... we had ordered, gotten our wine, and received our soups. This is when things turned sour. About half an hour later our waitress said that the kitchen was a little backed up and that our food would be out shortly. Another 35 minutes later (total of 1:10 since we ordered) we still didn't have our food even though two tables that came in after us already had their dinners. We also had to hunt someone down just to refill our waters since our waitress only came back once during that whole time. I was about to complain when it finally came out. My husband then cut into his steak and it was RAW. Like a deep red, still alive type raw. After we sent it back, I complained to the manager who was very apologetic and helpful. We finally left after being there for more than 2 hours... on a Monday night!! What was supposed to be a nice dinner out turned into a frustrating experience that we don't want to do again. There are many excellent restaurants in Norfolk... we do not feel this is one of them.

2  Thank cherosu