“Nice place, delicious food”

No Frill Bar and Grill
Ranked #1 of 704 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mountain Home, Idaho
“Nice place, delicious food”
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I heard of this place through trip advisor and my husband and I decided to try it out. The outside definitely isn't fancy but they have parking specifically for their restaurant, which was already a plus for us.

The inside was more pleasant with a sort of eclectic decor. It's not a large restaurant but with hight ceilings, it gave more of an open feeling. Although it was too hot the day we went, we liked the optional outdoor seating. I had a difficult time understanding our server because he was speaking so fast. It was almost like he was late for something and we were his last table. But I wouldn't say it was bad service per say, he did what he was supposed to do.

We went for lunch and I got the sirlion salad and hubby got the Gyro plate which was one of the specials. They were definitely not lunch portions, they were dinner portions. I'm not complaining, I love getting that much food for the amount of money we spent. We got about a third of the way through our meal and just had to get it to go. It made for a great dinner that night. So we essentially got lunch and dinner for around $20. Oh, I almost forgot, the food tasted awesome!

So the bottom line is, it's no frill but still very nice and inexpensive enough to be able to go and eat there anytime without worrying about spending too much, especially if you can potentially get two meals out of it, and the food is delicious!

2 Thank chrismacx2

• Turkish first
Norfolk, Virginia
“Wonderful, locally owned, casual, no frills but delicious.”
Reviewed June 23, 2010

This locally owned restaurant has maintained its popularity among locals since opening in the late 80's. It draws a very eclectic crowd of all ages and life styles. There is a wide variety of dishes, appetizers, great salads, sandwiches, a daily soup. There are a list of 4-6 specials each day. As far as I'm concerned, the specials are always the best choice as long as something on the list appeals to you. I think that No Frill has the best desserts in town. The owner is usually in the restaurant, service is efficient and friendly, and it is noisy. I think the noise level is because everyone is loving the food and enjoying the company.

1 Thank travel7continents
los altos
“excellent food, large variety, noisy”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

great variety of dishes, all very nicely done. excellent wine selection. typical entree is enough food for 2-3 people. Noisy. hard surface floors and celings. It's really hard to carry on a conversation, best bet is the covered outside dining which is much quieter but not air conditioned.

2 Thank a1anlosaltos
Suffolk, Virginia
“Pretty darn good but not great by any stretch.”
Reviewed March 7, 2010

No Frill does American cuisine similar to what you might find at the Cheesecake Factory but better. Once you see the portions you'll understand the analogy.

Appearance: Not that great from the outside. Kind of stitched together looking. Parking was really tight. You may have to walk a couple blocks.
Interior is a lot nicer then the exterior. For a "grill" this is upscale.
Music was modern and hip and at just the right level.
I was sat within 30 seconds and they were busy so Kudos there. I sat on the patio because the inside was a pretty busy and quite loud. The patio was very nicely heated and seemed a little less cramped than the inside seating.
My server was polite and she smiled the whole time. I really enjoyed the service. I observed the other servers and they were polite and attentive as well.
I ordered an iced tea to drink and got it fast but the glass was badly stained and needed bleaching. Also noticed the silverware were the low end type you often get at pizza joints.
The condiments were clean. This place could do a few things to really set it apart from your average grill.
The layout of the place is not good for parties over 5. Keep that in mind if you are going.
I would say this place is best for business lunch, meeting friends or going because you are hungry enough to handle their portions.
The clientele was nicely mixed with city chic to casual city, no rednecks or simple folk. This is probably due to the fact that it's in Ghent but it is a great bonus to your dining experience. I've been to some great places only to be stared down by multiple old country people (George's in Suffolk)
On to the food...

Artichoke dip: Huge. I'd guess one pound and is as large as your average size large lunch. Not a creamy sauce like you'd find in a spinach dip, it's all cheeses here. And topped with cheddar to the point where you don't see the dip part. Not too salty. Not too cheesy. I really liked it but it didn't blow me away. I give it an 8 out of 10.
Turkey Pastrami sandwich:
Bread: good not great, pressed thin and grilled with butter
Meat: very good appearance and texture but not rich or flavorful
Lettuce: excellent dark green - no brown spots.
Tomato: pink cause they are out of season.
Cheese: tame for a Swiss cheese but good
I wasn't impressed with the sandwich overall. It was big but lacked flavor. There was just a little deli mustard on the pastrami but not enough to affect the flavor. I give it a 6 out of 10. My side was pasta salad: dry, made with ziti noodles hardly any vinegar lots of Parmesan and parsley hardly any red onion or red peppers. My least favorite part. I give it a 3 out of 10.

I also got a Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich to go for dinner. Much much better than the Turkey-Pastrami Sandwich. Bun was quality, meat was pulled thick and very moist but not sloppy. It's kind of a cross between N Carolina style BBQ and northern style BBQ (think Lloyd's BBQ). It had a pleasant vinegar taste but also had a nice tomato based bbq sauce to it as well. The coleslaw topping the pork was some of the best I've ever had! I got the mashed potatoes for my side. They were bland and nondescript but not bad. If you're absolutely craving them you won't dislike them. I give them a 5 out of 10.

In conclusion, I recommend this place if you want a large portion of above average food and if you are on a budget. You probably won't be blown away but you won't be disappointed and I'm willing to bet you'll go back too.

2 Thank skipstar127
norfolk
“Great Place to have a nice meal”
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Wow, went for Valentine's Day dinner. Had the artichoke dip for appetizer- YUM and oh my goodness, the biggest appetizer that I have ever seen. I couldn't even eat my meal, I took a bite and was full. Staff is great, really attentive. I can't believe I lived in Norfolk for this long and haven't been here. Great atmosphere, my only complaint- parking! We were lucky and found a spot right out front, otherwise we would've been walking a few blocks! It would have been worth the walk. Try this place!

1 Thank jujubean79