“Nasty food and uncaring chef/manager (not sure what hat he wore)”
Review of Havana - CLOSED

Havana
Cuisines: American, Cuban
Good for: Romantic
Good for: Romantic
Reviewed February 19, 2011

When we complained about the gross paella, the "manager" maintained that "everyone else really likes it", blah, blah blah. We made it clear we were not trying for a comped meal, just a decent/edible one. No offer to refire or substitute: nothing. I think the waitress was genuinely sorry. So we paid and we left hungry. Shockingly uncaring experience.

4  Thank MadDog17

Reviewed January 31, 2011

The atmosphere is very bar like, you would never expect the menu to have such high prices. It had fine dining prices without the fine dining atmosphere. It took forever for our meals to come out. And after our meals were out, we never saw the waitresses again. I guess they figured since they were adding gratuity to our checks they didn't have to work for tips. Since the waitress never stopped by our table, we had to track her down to ask for our checks. We then had to track her down to get our receipt and cards back. When we looked at our receipts, we notcied that the gratuity doubled from $10 something to $20 something. This did not only happen to us, but to two other tickets at our table. I found this to be quite shady since other people had also used credit cards, and ours were the only ones that "got messed up." Funny thing is, I wasn't even drinking so don't expect me to overlook an extra $10 added to our check...I have heard about servers doing shady things to drunk customers.

Ok, so I talked to the owner, Tommy Arney while the waitresses were correcting our tickets. He was very rude, and very demeaning. He told me "if we were trying to steal money from you, trust me, we'd steal a lot more than $10." No apology, he did nothing to rectify the situation...NOTHING! He then asked a waitress to join us, and he points at me and says "she thinks that we are trying to steal from her," can you fix their checks?" REALLY? Very condescending. I just want to put this out there, so if you ever eat at this restaurant, make sure you look at your check before signing it. I'm sure they have gotten away with this plenty of times.

I would not suggest eating here. The price you pay for the food, you should be getting top notch customer service from the servers and ESPECIALLY the owner.

7  Thank Charm1981
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Havana’s service sucks, the kitchen manager is rude and I would never go back there again. Went with 9 other women, had reservations, sat immediately because place was empty. Took 30 minutes to have order taken and another 40 plus minutes to get food. We ordered apps and sandwiches and wer e told ticket time was “normal” for the food we ordered, until I mentioned, OBTW, I’m a professional chef/ chef consultant… Kitchen manager came out tried to pull the same line and then called me rude for telling him there was no way what we ordered would take that long to cook. Wait gets better, I went back upstairs to get my receipt, came down to find my friends being confronted by two very apologetic Norfolk Police, they had been called because there was an “altercation” and that we were “trying to walk out on our bill”. My tuna wrap, yes was warm, surprise since it took us complaining about how long food was taking just to even start getting food, but the tuna was tough and overcooked, not a surprise since 40 minutes is a “normal” ticket time for a tuna wrap with 1” cubed grilled tuna. Will never go there again and have told all my friends and colleagues (in the restaurant industry) about our experience, you can be assured no one I know will be going to Havana.

4  Thank rainart
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We've been going to Hanana's for years and have always enjoyed it. The Mojitos are great, but tonighhts service was miseable. Waitess brought an incorrect order and when I finished only 1/3 of my Osso Buco and asked for a box, she dumped it in the trash and then said "opps, sorry" so abaout $15.00 lunch fo rhte next day down the trash. No offer to even make it right by offreing a dessert , free drink, or anything in exchange. We'll perhaps go back for Mojito's, and perhaPS oYSTER hAVANA, BUT WILL NOT DINE THERE AGAIN.

3  Thank TidewaterGourmand
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I understand that nowhere in Norfolk am I going to find good Cuban food. I know this going in, so my standards are not high, however I do have a bar that however low it is, it still applys, and sadly Havana limbos just under it. I took a group there and we were sat upstairs, next to an open door broom closet, and a stairwell leading to what I can only assume is a room with more peeling paint off the walls.

The service was slow, of course the server had to keep climbing the stairs to wait on us, so I'm not sure it was her fault, I mean seriously who wants to do the StairMaster at work? The food arrived cold, and I dont think it was the long walk up the stairs. My pork chop could have been used to hold that closet door open, and the beef dish was swimming in such deep a sauce I wasn't sure whether to eat it or throw it a life preserver and save it from drowning. Stale bread, not a Cuban trait (Yes I am Cuban).

The drinks were a different story, the Mojitos were awesome, and my rum and coke, well lets just say after 3 of them the Pork chop tasted better.

Over all I would go here and sample the appetizers, and eat a nice dinner somewhere else. The place is run down, and paint falls from just about every wall. I know the place is called Havana, but its in Norfolk guys, go to home depot and spruce the place up a bit.

1  Thank cubanito1