“Love their Tropical Fried Rice!”

Sawasdee Thai Cuisine
Ranked #73 of 737 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: Thai
Description: Yes We served authentic Thai dish such as Basil stir fried, Padthai Noodles as well as Curries, and much much more at Sawasdee Thai Cuisine, Norfolk VA
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Their Tropical Fried Rice is my favorite: shrimp & chicken with egg stir-fried with jasmine rice, pineapple, cashews and raisins. My wife had their Vegetable Delight and our daughter got their Basil Fried Rice with a take-out order of Wild Siamese for her husband. Everyone enjoyed all their meals. The dinner potions are so large, there was enough for another meal. Their friendly service was exceptional. This was our second visit after recently discovering this new restaurant. They are now our favorite Thai Restaurant in Norfolk!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I visited this restaurant this restaurant with my sister. OMG, luv, luv, luv this place! The ambience is pleasing - spacious, clean, muted lights, exceptional service. Booths and tables available. A good selection of wine and beer. I ordered the tropical rice and it is my favorite! I will be going back....soon!

2  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I ordered the chicken green curry, extra hot. It is customary for a soup or salad to be served with your lunch order in Thai restaurants in this locality. (My favorite, which is in Virginia Beach, offers the customer a choice. Sawasdee doesn’t.) The iceberg lettuce and carrot salad that was served was drenched in a sweet ginger sauce. While the ‘heat’ was about right, the green curry was lacking in the characteristic coconut milk flavor. After the first visit, I found the restaurant to be ‘average’.

Because the 4 TripAdvisor reviews prior to mine all rated this restaurant as Excellent, I gave it another try the very next day. This time I ordered Pad Thai with shrimp. I was served chicken radish soup, but there was no chicken and it was somewhat bland. The Pad Thai was a more than ample serving. The 4 accompanying shrimp were boiled, of medium size, certainly not succulent, and had no seasoning. The Pad Thai, itself, was to have been with ‘peanut in tamarind sauce’. The sauce was gooey, a slight taste of peanut … but tamarind was woefully lacking.

Sawasdee restaurant is tastefully decorated, and plenty of daylight pours in though its large paned windows. On both visits, the service was very good. But the quality of the food is the most important parameter to me when I spend my money in a restaurant. With 2 of Norfolk’s few Thai restaurants closing within the past year, Sawasdee may be the best that Norfolk has to offer, but its still average.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Seek this restaurant out - west of Military Circle on Virginia Beach Blvd after crossing under Military Highway on left (as if heading into downtown Norfolk) - nondescript location but worth the find! Looks to be staying in business with take -out but the restaurant itself is lovely and clean, service is impeccable.

Food? What about the food? Best Thai food in the area. And we seek out Thai food. Crab Rangoon was crispy and creamy, not 'crunchy'. Perfectly, delicately cooked. Pad Thai was also delicious (and my husband likes to try it everywhere because he wants to 'perfect' his own). That portion was enormous. I had Drunken Noodle with beef and it was somewhat spicy ( I was warned with the one chili on the menu) and the caramel sauce interesting. Vegetables in my dish were par-broiled and not soft, just the way I like them. The plates had beautiful garnish which we got to watch more being made as we were leaving. Wish I had room for dessert as they sounded really good but I managed to eat all of my dinner, it was that good.

Oh - we were each also served some sort of beef and vegetable soup - on the house and it was quite tasty.

This is our new go-to Thai place in the Hampton Roads area.

1  Thank kthomasva
Reviewed March 7, 2013

As I sit down and ordered crab meat fried rice and eggplant with basil and chicken all I can tell presentation is exellent I never seen anywhere else in Norfolk there a red radish turned to flower how wonderful art piece and food was great, will always comeback.

1  Thank clock_tree