“Good Korean food, but minimal wait staff”
Review of Norfolk Garden

Norfolk Garden
Ranked #214 of 729 Restaurants in Norfolk
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Had dinner out here on a Sat. night and got the BBQ special at our table and the seafood pancake.

I still like the food here, but was a little disappointed with the service since they have only one person as the waiter/busboy for the whole restaurant. When I've gone in the past, it's not that busy so it wasn't an issue. This visit was a little different and felt like we were waiting a while to eat.

Still like the food here, but had to bring up the service issue.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Korean is my absolute favorite cuisine.

I was reluctant to try this restaurant at first. It's really somewhat of a dive. However, this is one of those cases of "don't judge a book by its cover".

Norfolk Garden is absolutely delicious (맛있다). I used to prepare my bulgogi or galbi at the hibachi on my table, and when I take friends there it's still a fun novelty, but they do a much better job of cooking it for you in the kitchen.

I've tried most items on the menu (don't go for the sushi) and just can't get enough of this great food. Granted, Korean is a very unique cuisine. You'll either love it or just not like it at all. Me, I am a fanatic. So much in fact that I ate here almost once (sometimes twice) a week for over 2 years before moving away from the area.

The Hispanic waiter (yeh, i know, a Hispanic waiter in a Korean restaurant) is almost reason enough to return. He's really GREAT - friendly, polite, very knowledgeable and a true asset to this business.

Back to the food... You can expect a bountiful assortment of sides (banchan) with your BBQ, each more interesting and flavorful than the next. This is truly authentic style Korean food (expect your fish to be looking back at you). Everything from the most pungent and fermented to the delicate and understated.

I've eaten Korean food from one coast to the other (like I said, it's my favorite) and Norfolk Garden is one of the best I've had. Don't let the run-down, dingy, outdated interior fool you. The food is excellent... The prices are even better.

3  Thank Anthony F
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

The prices are ridiculous!!! Who wants to pay an understaffed restaurant? They may served a good food but the price was too much especially the service sucks...only one guy serving and too slow. Even the owner is nasty about hearing a customers feedback...I will never come back here

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been coming to Norfolk on business over two years and have passed this place a hundred times. The outside is, shall we say, nondescript. I thought it was closed down until I saw a review on Trip Advisor.
Tonight I stopped and went inside. The decor is clean and nice. The service is fast and compentent. I got the Yaki Mondu as an appetizer. They was good but fairly average. I got the Galbi, Korean short ribs, for my meal. It was outstanding.
I have spent two years in Korea and try to find a Korean resturaunt in any city I am in. I can say without reservation, this is the real deal!

1  Thank Bill W
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The food was excellent. Two of us had the bibimbap and the other had the bulgogi. It was delicious and the bill was around $55 for the three of us. The waiter brought cold ginger tea when we were finished, which was delicious, to cleanse our palate.

1  Thank ARBaker