“Spectacular Glass Collection”

Chrysler Museum of Art
Ranked #1 of 70 things to do in Norfolk
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Los Angeles
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Spectacular Glass Collection”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The Chrysler Museum has a wonderful collection of art, and some of the world's greatest artist's are represented in it. My favorites are the Richard Estes painting, the Mark Rothko, the Richard Diebenkorn, and the Picasso ceramics. But even with those standouts, the glass collection must be one of the best in the world. The whole glass exhibition space has recently been redesigned and the volume of works is almost overwhelming. This museum is well worth a visit while you're in Norfolk, a beautiful old building housing a world class collection of art.

Visited August 2014

Cairo
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Amazing Museum!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

What a fantastic place! We had severe traffic on the I 64, so were ready for lunch when we arrived. The Wisteria was excellent. On to the museum. We went upstairs and the first thing to catch my eye was a grand piano on display. I asked and was allowed to actually play it - first time ever this has happened to me in a public museum. An interesting instrument with a very powerful tone, with a very light touch. We then only had a couple of hours to see this magnificent display of art and we gobbled up as much as we could from Egyptian relics to modern art including the amazing 'Sound Suit'! We will be going back!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Free Fantastic Art. Need I say more.”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Well, I guess I have to say more.

The Chrysler is a Norfolk gem. The museum is excellently curated, showing a mix of modern and classic pieces. I was particularly impressed by the glass exhibit. A recent expansion lets you spend even more time in this already great facility. In fact, you will be surprised at how much time you will spend soaking it in.

Did I mention it was free. Add Chrysler to you Norfolk checklist.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank coldcalifornian
Mahnattan48
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Fabulous Museum!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We could have spent days at this exceptional museum. We were inspired to visit by the glass exhibit and it was first class, including the required Chihuly, but also one of our personal favorites Lino Tagliapietro, and many other wonderful artists. It is always exciting to see someone from your home state represented, and there were three Rhode Island glass artists - Toots Zinsky, Howard Ben Tre and Steve Weinberg - all exceptional examples of their work.

My husband found the African art section unusual, and their was a fine photography exhibit we saw. I wish we had had more time to explore, and especially to visit the glass studio. On this trip we had babies and elders making museum outings challenging, but if we ever get back to Norfolk this will be at the top of our list.

Virginia Beach, VA
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Outstanding Experience!”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have been fans of the Chrysler for many years and can't say enough good things since the museum recently reopened after an 18-month renovation. Love, love, love the new galleries, the inspired staging of old favorites, and by far, the gallery hosts are something that every museum should emulate. What a joy to chat with friendly, knowledgeable folks instead of being glared at by security guards in uniforms. A must-visit for anyone coming to the Norfolk area and for those of us who live here. Outstanding, accessible, approachable, educational experience!

1 Thank VAPrgal