SpringHill Suites Norfolk Virginia Beach
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Gainesville, Florida
“meh”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I have been staying here every two weeks for nearly a year for business. Staff is awesome and friendly. The free breakfast is great. Rooms kind of worn out- seems like lots of partying has been going on here. Four recent bad stays have ended my visits with this place: fire alarm went off repeatedly at 1 a.m., and is SO excessively loud that I thought it was the second coming of Christ. No more sleep that night. Another time the AC fan started making a horrible racket, but it was my last night so I endured. The final straw was placing me on a floor of unruly miscreants that thought it was fine to allow their children to frolic in the hall until midnight. I called to complain but the racket continued. Oh: almost forgot- the last time I was there, the housekeeper placed my "do not disturb" sign on my door and did not clean the room. The next day, it was cleaned. The third day, it wasn't cleaned again. BTW- that room had obviously been recently smoked in. Ghet-to! Again, most of my stays have been fine, but four bad ones in a row indicate a trend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank herpdderp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Very professional greeting by Jennifer at the Desk. Found room layout awkward with bathroom intruding into bedroom, toilet paper holder so far from toilet that one has to get up to reach it, (that's novel!) and TV oblique to half of the bed. Breakfast lady very warm and friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a 2 week business trip in January of 2012, this wasn't my first choice for a hotel but my normal spot was filled up so I picked SpringHill Suites instead. The hotel is located off of highway 264 which made my commute to and back from work very convenient. The hotel is very clean, the housekeeping staff does a very good job of cleaning up while I'm at work during the day. The front lobby is very well modelled with an elegant fountain, the front desk also have a snack bar that has everything from energy bar to beer. There is also a small gym in the hotel and an indoor pool that's well maintained. There's plenty of parking in the hotel too and the lots are all well lit during the night. The hotel has a pretty good laundry room too, $1.50 for both washing and drying which is pretty decent. There is a Ruby Tuesdays within a minute of walk across from the front of the hotel that does delivery to the rooms which is really a nice feature to have. The hotel doesn't have an ATM machine inside but there is a Navy Federal Credit Union just outside the hotel. The hotel provides a free breakfast buffet in the morning the features everything from scrambled eggs, English muffins, cereals and fruits to make your own waffles. The hotel also provides a shuttle bus to the airport, though I had a rental car with me and never used that service. The only thinsg I can complain about this hotel would be that first the gym is a bit lacking in equipment, for example there's only one stationary bike and one treadmill, in 2 weeks there were a few times when I had to wait for someone to finish up before getting on the cardio machines; and also the location of the air condition is a bit poorly considered, it's right by the bed side window, few times during the nights I slept I was awaken by the sound of the AC coming on, I don't know if this is the case for all the rooms but at lease the ones my coworker and I stayed at were. Overall I had an excellent experience at this hotel for the 2 weeks I stayed, if I was ever in the Norfolk area again I'd definitely consider SpringHill suites again for my hotel choice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Stayed here for a two nite visit. Convenient to the hwwy, but divider on the main road made for many uturns when going to the left. I would never pay full price for this hotel room, I thought it was laid out very strange. It was big, but the TV was in the middle of two rooms, the microwave was at knee level, the toilet/shower was separated from the sink area - okay for two travelers but thought it odd. Sink area was very small, suitable for one. Ceramic mugs a plus and the coffee was good. I hate weak coffee and it wasn't as bad as most hotel. 4 cup pot a + Problems figuring out the heat - which seemed like it wasn't going on at bedtime - trying to sleep when you are cold is annoying. One evening the hot water went out and cold showers were not fun. All I liked about this hotel was the size of the room, we did not get that closed in feeling...Breckfast had good variety, but too small of an area for the size of the hotel. It wasn't a horrible experience, but I would not go back. This is the second Marriott this year with heat problems.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Platinum MR member on a leisure trip; hotel shows its age...rooms were well worn, needed new carpet and general refresh, i.e., stains/marks on walls, blood stain (?) on wall in bathroom area, etc. Nothing horrible, just not the newer Springhill I'm used to. Staff responded quickly to a problem w/ the A/C unit. Also, the towels here are very small and HARD...need new, more plush towels. The area around the hotel is OK, but closer down to a major shopping center, towards the beach, looked like a nicer area. Breakfast was good, but sometimes hard to get to on the weekend b/c there were people making 4-5 waffles at a time and we had to ask for more eggs and fruit. Again, not the staff's fault...just people with little regard for others...So net-net, I'd say if you just need a place to lay your head for a night, game on...not a place I'd plan to return to in my travels. Maybe I had too high of expectations...just keepin it real!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I have frequent business trips to the Norfolk area and always choose to stay here. The price is reasonable and the service is fantastic. The location is very convenient for my destinations, and has easy access to the freeways to get to the military bases, beaches, and downtown. Lots of good eating nearby and the staff is always happy to recommend something good and local. I'll continue to stay here every time I'm in the area, for any reason.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be the same, but--as usual, higher floors will have less light coming in from...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
J_McMicken, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Norfolk Virginia Beach, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear James,

Thank you so much for writing a review for us on Tripadvisor.com, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Thank you for the compliments about our cleanliness and service!

We are glad to have you as a loyal guest and look forward to your next visit.

Regards,
Jennifer McMicken
Virginia
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Last minute trip and I booked it via Priceline and it was a bargain! Breakfast was included and very spacious breakfast area. The room was large - suite with the couch area right when you walk into the room, and king size bed by the window. The tv is an older unit that you can move towards the couch or bed and was fine. Everything was clean. The staff was friendly both at check in and at breakfast - check-in was fast, which I appreciate. This hotel is very convenient off the the highway (64). There is a restaurant right next door that delivers rooms service too.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business