“Great customer service”

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great customer service”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The staff was excellent. They knew I had a hectic day and called to remind me that my late check-out time was approaching. They were happy to work with my schedule. Special thanks to Erica and Charleen!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments with us! I will be sure to pass them along to our staff! We look forward to serving all your future lodging needs!

Wesley Dove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dunnsville, Virginia
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We searched for a reasonably priced hotel near Chrysler Hall and MacArthur Mall and found the Courtyard Norfolk Waterside. We would highly recommend it! Very nice front desk help; large, comfortable, and spotless room. And it was very reasonably priced. We will stay there again and recommend you do too!

• Stayed January 2014
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share your comments with our staff! We focus on providing exceptional product and service to our guests. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving all your future lodging needs while in the Norfolk area.

Delaware
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I wanted to like this hotel. The location is close to the Norva where my husband and I see concerts from time to time. The walk to and from the venue is managable and feels safe, even at late hours.

On the positive side, the location is great in relation to the Norva and the mall is right behind the hotel for food and shopping. The staff was friendly and responsive to our needs and the valet parking is a great bonus. I also thought the price was very reasonable. The room and hotel were both clean and comfortable.

On the negative side, there is no in room safe and very few safe boxes at the desk. I usually travel with my work laptop and need to lock it up when out of the room. I wasn't able to do that at this hotel because the few safe boxes that would fit the laptop were all taken. That is a deal breaker for me for business travel. I'll be more selective about what I bring if I visit this hotel again.The bistro food is very limited but I don't consider that a big issue with other food venues so close.

Finally, the hair dryer actually sparked when I used it and caused the room to smell like smoke. I called the front desk and they brought up a new dryer within 10 minutes and were very friendly and apologetic. I thought the staff was very responsive considering the late hour I had the problem.

I will probably stay again because the price and location outweigh the negative aspects for this type of trip.

Room Tip: There are some meeting rooms on the second floor so keep that in mind if you want to sleep late.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amymjw
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate the feedback you have provided. I would like to personally apologize for the issue with the hair dryer and will immediately investigate this issue. I am glad to hear that our staff was responsive and friendly during your stay. Our goal is to be prepared when things like this happen and to quickly respond and resolve issues that may arise from time to time. I will be sure to share your experience with our staff members.

Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This Courtyard hotel is an average member of the chain. Although it was a nice, quiet hotel, there was not any one thing that I could say really stood out a good or great. Would I stay here again, yes, but it would not be my number one choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to provide exceptional service and product to all our guests. I will share your comments with our staff at our next associate meeting.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The Courtyard is conveniently located in downtown Norfolk, blocks away from MacArthur mall (complete with a Nordstrom's and 18 screen theater), a great Starbucks and the Elizabeth River. The rooms are very comfortable (our favorite is 604) and the staff are friendly and accommodating. We have stayed at the Marriott downtown, which is just a few blocks away, but prefer this property better. Thanks to the staff, we had a great time.

Tip for travelers--avoid renting a car and paying $19 a night for parking; take a cab from the airport (~$25) and enjoy the trip.

Room Tip: Avoid the 8th floor and rooms close to the elevators (too noisy).
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate the feedback and I will be sure to pass this along to our staff. Robert is truly an amazing associate and I will ensure he gets due recognition for his efforts. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Glen Burnie, Maryland
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a couple nights because we were seeing a show at the Norva and thought it would be fun to get away for a bit. I will say that the room was very clean and thank God for that because if you read my other reviews I've had some nightmares in the past.

When we could get someone's attention at the front desk, they were not rude but one night (and it was maybe 9pm) the woman had her head down in the back room. I couldn't tell if she was sleeping or reading People magazine but either way, couldn't she do that creatively behind the desk?!!

Perhaps I sound high maintenance but I really don't think it's a lot to ask for someone to be engaging and ask how they can help you. When we first checked in, the woman barely made eye contact. The valet guy barely spoke, it was as if the employees (all 2 of them we came in contact with, the rest of the time the place seemed deserted) were unhappy.
So that's my rant, but the room was nice and served its purpose.

One other thing - the pool smelled a bit odd. We stuck to the hot tub but the smell floated over there as well.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments with us regarding your recent stay. We strive to make every guest's stay as comfortable and accommodating as possible. I am personally investigating your concerns and will ensure they are addressed. I appreciate your feedback and please feel free to call me at 757-576-2374 to discuss further if you so desire. I reached out to you via email but have not received a response.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Very pleasant hotel with great customer service. Room was large and comfortable, and there is a very nice living room-like lobby, with a small bar, that was great for socializing. Best part was the great staff. Very nice, friendly people who anticipated our needs. Good location downtown near MacArthur museum, Freemason Historic District, and MacArthur Center Mall. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Wesley D, General Manager at Courtyard Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We appreciate the feedback and will be sure to share your comments with our staff. We strive to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable during their time with us. We look forward to serving all your future lodging needs while in Norfolk.